Thanksgiving Weekend

December 1st, 2008

It was a nice Thanksgiving Day Weekend.
The final ride of the Low Key Hill Climb series.  The ride started at 9:30 which meant getting up at 7 AM.  Mei had just returned from China and I was on the tail end of the flu so getting up was just a little problematic.  Once up and moving preparing for the ride and gearing up went quickly.

We arrived at the start with plenty of time to register, warm up and prepare.  Mike and Joan showed up.  Mike rode as part of team Mudncrud.  Joan rode on up ahead.

The start as always was aggressive.  I tend to fall behind then work in pulling people in.  I thought I was doing well, the main peleton had gone on ahead but I thought I was doing OK after that since I held my own after being dropped by the peleton on the first of the three hills that make up the Mount Hamilton hill climb.

Hill one establishes your over placement in the race.  Hill two and three is where the incremental adjustments take place.  I made my adjustments on hill three passing a dozen people or so.  Over all I thought that I had done well enough to break the median point.  But that just did not happen, my placement ended up just below the median once again.

In the overall 2008 Low Key Hill Climb standing I ended up 31 out of 127 men.  Mei ended up 4th out of 47 women.

Mei and I finished the day sharing a Hot Pot while watching the moving Phantom of the Opera.  Mmmm she is such a good cook.

was a little more casual.  We started late and made friends with one of the neighbors cats.  We then got dressed up and went and saw the performance Phantom of the Opera in San Francisco.  After the performance we went out for a nice bite to eat.

Jeff Gilbert was in town and we had made plans to do some bolting down at the Pinnacles.  On the approach to our planned climb we started to gear up for the approach chimney when I realized that I had forgot my harness.  So we went down the slope to work on a kind of cool  looking line that looked “5.4”.

Jeff took the first lead.  Jeff did not want me to use my belt loops to belay so I rigged up a swamy out of a length of cordallet.  Jeff got up about 12′ or so and got to a cruxy section so he put in the first bolt from stance.

I put in the next two.  I felt good about the third bolt since I actually managed to climb above the bolt below and even climb above a couple of cams placed in pockets while wearing a swamy.  In addition we bolted from stance.  Just a little old school action.  Of course our 5.4 ended up a bit more 5.8.

Jeff put in the last bolt of the day while racing the sunset.  We were able to start the hike back with a bit of daylight but it was fairly dark when we got to the car.

Last weekend while Mei was in China Derek, Leo and I attempted a Coe 10k.  We came up a mechanical short of success.  Overall that was a fun day and we came fairly close to success.

New day new ride, Mei was back in town so this time Mei, Derek and I went for the 10K.

The route Hunting Hollow, Coit Road, Grizzly Gulch, Spike Jones, Tim Trail, Grizzly Gulch, Dexter, Willow Ridge, Domino Pond, Cattle Duster, Grapevine, Coit Road, Mahoney Meadows, China Hole, Manzanita, Headquarters, Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Poverty Flat, Jackass Trail, Poverty Flat, Corral Trail, Narrows, Mahoney Meadows, Lone Spring, Mahoney Meadows, Coit Road, Hunting Hollow.

All told we ended up riding a bit over 11K and riding just under 45 miles.  WhooHoo success.  The temps were real good even though it was a bit chilly in the morning and after the sun went down.  We managed to get all the way back down Coit Road before dusk settled in.  fairly close to the final paved road out we rode up on a couple pushing their bikes.  Mei had not picked up her mandatory piece of trash so she donated a CO2 cartridge that got the couple back up and running long enough for them to ride to the parking lot.

By the time we got to the parking lot it was dark and we were all very hungry.  Derek agreed to join Mei and I at Black Bear for a hearty celebratory dinner.  The fates punished Derek, he received his dinner a couple of minutes before they brought out our dinner.  Being proper he waited with a large plate of food in front of him until our food was also delivered.  We tried not to stare and salivate to much.

After dinner we went our separate ways.  Getting home around 9 PM we unpacked the car and showered.  Mei had one tick in her side we gently removed it and stuck it to a piece of tape but somehow it managed to escape in the middle of the night.

It was a very full weekend with a little bit of everything.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

For spam filtering purposes, please copy the number 8719 to the field below: