Author Topic: 07 June 2009 La Honda Hills  (Read 4647 times)

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
07 June 2009 La Honda Hills
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:09:47 PM »
Mudworm and I did about 90 miles and 11,000 ft.

Up Alpine West, Down/Up Page Mill, Haskin on the way to Pescadero for a Sandwich and some water, Stage to Hwy 1, Tunitas Creek, Down/Up Kings Mountain, Skyline, Down 84, Up Old La Honda, Down Old La Honda West to 84 and back home.

Was riding Alpine West for time but had to stop when a gal lost control and took a spill right next to me.  Looked like she hurt her shoulder (dislocated?/collar bone?) and had a good digger on her knee (I thought of that at the end of the day and got the chills).

Some people went off to get a Sag Wagon since they were part of the Sequoia Century.  She maintained a very good attitude even though it was obvious she was in a bit of pain.  Still managed 45 minutes (From the Second Bridge to the Parking Lot). 

Time on Old La Honda was 24:54 Mudworm 25:29.  Not to bad for the end of the day.  She pushed me hard on all the hills.  My butt hurts.

Tired.  Shower and bed.  I am sure Mudworm will add a worthy Trip Report.

Good Night, Rest Well and
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
Re: 07 June 2009 La Honda Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
How are you to reproduce if yer squeezing the family jewels??
I'm not worthy.

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
Yo, F4 boy, get your mind off of my husband's you-know-what! Now, is that why you got that comfy couch and 1000 TV channels? Just make sure when you go fetch the ice cream, do not make any sudden movement so that you don't spill the family jewels.  ;D
Inch by inch, I will get there.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »
it's true, anytime I'm around F4 it's Stom's crotch......apparently never far from F4's thoughts. I'm surprised F4 doesn't bike the hills with you. If for no other reason than riding behind Mr Mud.

On a lighter note, missed you all at St. Johns. Beer and Burgers good.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:04:09 AM »
If for no other reason than riding behind Mr Mud.
Not possible, I don't have a triple, so I'd have to leave him.
I'm not worthy.

F'ueco

• Mudders
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »
Mmmm... Saint John's. That might be on the menu tonight after the tri club meeting...  ;)

Sounds like a nice ride, Stroms!

My dad did the Sequoia double metric course. But he broke a chain and missed out on about 13 miles of downhill (he had to get sagged forward to the next rest stop where they had a mechanic who was able to get him back up and on his way).

I bailed at mile 41.5 during the Eastern Sierra Double due to BB-sized hail (and not wanting to ride into the ominous looking storm ahead!). Naturally, Joan toughed it out and finished the ride. She was happy for the doughnut I picked up at Schat's for her and delivered at the lunch stop. They had to reroute the course due to snow in Mammoth and June Lakes. We still got snow on the rerouted course! It was on Death Valley Road, out of Big Pine...

I went for a hike up out of South Lake in the afternoon. Snow is nice when you're not riding in it!

This is a self-portrait with Mount Hurd in the background. John Muir Wilderness (about 2 miles up the trail from South Lake).

This is Joan about 12 miles from the finish of the double. She's riding southbound on Highway 6 north of Bishop.
Live from Boulder, CO...

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
Joan rock!  :)

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »

Quite often, I prefer riding by ourselves. It's not that I'm anti-social. I just like the flexbility of not having to plan ahead. Plus, who would have approved of a start time as late as 10:40am? This morning, we slept in, had a relaxed breakfast, got my rear tire changed (first time in 2 years), and by the time, we were out of the door, it was 10:40am. No biggie -- we would just go as far as we feel like to.

Up W. Alpine we went. Immediately, we were greeted by hordes of riders coming down. I had never seen so many riders on that road, something must have been going on. A left turn was coming up for Erik and me in the uphill direction. Suddenly, we saw a descending rider project straight into the apex of the corner, crossed our lane and high-sided on the dirt patch. We stopped immediately to assist the downed rider who turned out to be a middle-aged lady. Her husband (I think, since she called him honey) pulled to a stop at the same time. While going down, she stuck her left elbow and knee out. There was road rash in her knee, but I think she mainly hurt her shoulder when the elbow hit the ground. She was in an amazing spirit. Visibly in pain, she still kept a beautiful smile on her face. In the beginning, I thought maybe it was the sight of Erik riding up spooked her, and felt guilty, but she insist it was all her own fault. Later, Erik told me that he heard her "ah...ah..." around the turn before he even saw her and knew that someone was having trouble with the turn, so prepared himself to get out of way. Then he saw her unclip one foot which gave her even less control and actually made her lose balance, and the woman went straight right in front of him. Also, the husband told us that she already crushed once earlier in the ride, and was probably all tense while going downhill. I was very sorry to hear that. W. Alpine is not an easy descent. We also learned that they were on the Sequoia Century ride. I did not know the was happening in this area. The riders passing by promised to get a SAG wagon up as soon as they reached any support. Her husband and she both assured us that there was nothing more we could do and urged us to continue on our ride. We wished her a speedy recovery and bid them goodbye.   Later, four or five emergency vehicles (incl. two firetrucks) flew down the road with lights and sirens. Someone must have gotten ahold of 911.

Further up on Alpine, among all the riders flying down, suddenly one called out my name. It was Patrick, whom I met at Henry Coe Trail work last year. Wow, what a coincidence! By the time, I managed to greet him back, we were already 50 feet apart. I was so amazed at how small this world is that I kept chuckling at this incident for quite a while.

The rest of the ride was mostly very uneventful. We dropped down Page Mill and then climbed back up. Down Alpine and then over the Haskin Grade to have lunch in the town of Pescadero. When we took Stage Road to climb Tunitas Creek Road, we caught the tail end of the century riders. Lucky for us, we were able to fill our water bottles at the Bike Hut and at the top of Tunitas where their support stations were. Then we dropped down Kings Mountain and climbed back up it. By then, we had just broken 10,000' of climbing and would have been happy if we had gone straight home, but we went down Hwy 84 nonetheless -- we wanted to see if we would PR on Old La Honda considering we are so well warmed up. PR, NOT! But not too shabby either (24:54 from Erik and 25:29 from me).

I lugged my camera with me, but I probably will leave it at home on my future rides. While climbing, I don't want to stop and interrupt my rhythm. While descending, I'm having so much fun flying down and would not consider coming to a stop. At intersections where I add/strip layers, it's just not that interesting there.

This is one picture at the summit of W. Alpine where we stopped so I could put layers on:

And this is where we had our lunch:

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
is that picture in Pescadero?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
Yep, lunch in Pescadero.