Author Topic: Living in Real Mountains  (Read 6499 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Living in Real Mountains
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Heading home from work in few minutes:

Still no power there; several roads near our house are still closed; power lines are still down in several places; even the phone lines are so stacked up with snow that they issue a loud "hum" anytime they're used; trees and tree branches are down all over the place. Cell phone towers seem to be affected too, there's barely enough reception at home to send a text-message.

I'm starting to get pissed with PG&E (even though I own a bunch of their stock). I mean, WTF*&#ing F*%#, is heavy snow in the mountains really that big a surprise? Now they're talking about another week before power is restored?

Stopping by the gym on the way home for a shower.

Four feet of snow on the roof, with more than a foot more predicted tonight. Will we be finding out the real, not theoretical, snow load our roof can hold? The snow berms surrounding the driveway are so high that I can't see over them, even on tiptoes; we're running out of places to which we can snow-blow the snow. The always-reliable, heavy duty snow blower finally broke: the right side handle snapped (1/2" tubular steel). I "fixed" it using steel plates and pipe clamps (like a splint for a broken bone). Will it continue to hold?

Yet, I still look forward to getting home. "Hardships" or not, we live here on puropose. Plus, I'd go happily to hell if I could spend time there with Vicki, Kaite and Tricia. And the dogs.

Plus, eventually it will be Spring. I will spend time in warm, sunny weather.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
Re: Living in Real Mountains
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
May your roof exceed all reasonable expectations.  If it's any consolation, this is likely the last big go-around for winter 2011.  Our big river here is licking at its berms for the first time in fifteen years.  I'll head up to the West Side sometime in the next couple of days to look at waterfalls off the Flumes.  I always take a rope, but I doubt I'll use it. 

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
The hills here are soggy.  The creek sounds like a raging river.   My lawn mower needs pontoons.  The Redwoods seem happy.

Here's to sweat in your eye

Uncle Stinky

• Mudders
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
Waldo take some photos when you go!!

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
Ahhh, life in a condo isn't so bad. Speaking of which I best turn on the heater.

Is mud worm driving in to work wearing her helmet?

I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
Still no power, although coffee is easy on our camping stoves. And I get big credit for serving it to the beloved in bed.

On the plus side, the big storm is moving slower than expected; tiny bits of new snow last night, although it was coming down in massive flakes as I left. We've also got an extra cord of cedar coming today and PG&E is down from an initial 10,000 to now 5,000 customers in the county without power.

Plus, there is no detectable radiation near our house, the earth is not moving. Dampness, but no 30 foot waves so far. No dictator is ruining our lives or trying to kill my family or our neighbors.

Life really is pretty good.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »
Same here, except my dog is something of a dictator.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
I thought Snow was a good insulator....so you should toasty warm..like a huge igloo.

Yep, we're loving the rain here, not glowing yet.

I'm wearing a cap to potect the hair when outside. Next task is to fashion lead underwear.....
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Yeah, toasty warm. I'll "toasty warm" you, you...

Heading home for the day. No power still. Apparently the snow is still pounding, so I'm gonna test the Subaru (hard to be sure, it's almost impossible to talk with Vic on the phone because the buzzing overwhelms the talk).

I suspect Twain Harte School will be closed again tomorrow. Looks like Trica might get the whole week off.

skully

• Mudders
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »
Hazards abound. Life is fraught with Peril.  :o
Good lesson, I'd say. Be Strong, you're golden.  8)
You're stronger than most, right off the blocks.

Golden. 8)
Holy crap! oh, please little hook stay, please stay, that's right you're fine........And  Yes! off THAT manky shit. Whew.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »
golden showers...

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »
Big progess - VLY just called me on her cell phone, service has been restored. The land line is still unusable due to loud static.

Still no electricity.

About another foot of the blessed, beautiful white stuff just since early this morning, but since I cleared the whole driveway before I left, it should still be manageable by the time I pick up Katie from rehearsal and start home.

Last night we shovelled off the back deck. Snow was stacked up to just above the handrail and I was getting concerned that the deck might collapse.

Recalling fondly now the weekend I spent at Pinnacles with Jim and with Rob, and ... sunshine.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »
OOh, sunshine, sunshine....

need some

Sunday is the light at the end of the tunnel

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
Still no power and 10 more inches of snow overnight. Some of the driveway-edge berms are now eight feet high and the blower won't throw the snow over. Both schools are closed again. We took some photos which I'll try to download and post. I admit that I've never seen so much snow here.

So, the decision's been made: Screw it, we're out of here. During a break we packed and we're leaving a day early for So-Cal (next week is Spring break and we were planning on being gone anyway). We'll start with the PCT, but after just under 50 more miles we'll have to stop hiking because of snow north of Highway 58. So then the choice will be Joshua Tree, Red Rocks or the Alabama Hills. Maybe go look over Death Valley, none of us has ever been there.

Whatever happens, we're staying the first three nights or so in a damned hotel; this must have an indoor hot tub and pool. And electricity. And none of the blessed white stuff.

And some time wandering the desert in sandals, in the warm sun.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
Hey, go find a lizard.  Enjoy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
Whooo Hooo

get out of Dodge

Have fun

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
Squiddo and I are in Vegas....and it's sunny, but not to warm.
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
dang,

It is raining in La Honda

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
Sunny here.....and warm.
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Here's a few photos, starting with the snow berms on the driveway:

After getting the Subaru out of the garage:

Katie falling at the end of a "surf/sledding" run:

Anyway, we're out of it now (I understand it pounded snow at home again today). Had a great day on the PCT today, and will start a new thread when I can get the photos downloaded (must take a nap first).