Author Topic: Save Summit Rock  (Read 10603 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Save Summit Rock
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
http://www.accessfund.org/c.tmL5KhNWLrH/b.5208267/k.8C84/Action_Center/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx?c=tmL5KhNWLrH&b=5208267&aid=516572

send your letter. this is the only closure of it's kind in the nation. It's not based on science, but perception. 
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Save Summit Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »
The page is blank.  A Google search shows that it is being closed year round do to raptor nesting.  Not a big surprise, they have been trying to close that place for over a decade.  I did not quite understand why the park service and the climbers never really got along there.

When I first went there it was trashed.  Then climbers started going there and packing out trash.  I know Dave Woods personally carried out dozens of bags of trash/glass and left them at the garbage can that was there at the top.  On one occasion I saw Dave carry two large full bags of trash out while a Ranger was there, the guy did not even say thank you.  Of course there were those climbers that went and cut back/down some trees and scrubbed moss that did not really need it.  I know that did not go over real well.  Over all I think the climbers cleaned it up quite a bit and slowed down the hard core partyers that were encamped at that place.  Have not been there in about 8 years.  It always seemed to me that it could be a really cool place if 1/2 the people involved could work together.

Seems the problem is the hard liners.  The hard line partyers that have to throw their bottles from the top, the hard line climbers that have to scrub, bolt and cut down anything they justify, the hard line Park Service folks that refuse to work with people.

Here's to sweat in your eye

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
The page is blank.  A Google search shows that it is being closed year round do to raptor nesting.  Not a big surprise, they have been trying to close that place for over a decade.  I did not quite understand why the park service and the climbers never really got along there.

When I first went there it was trashed.  Then climbers started going there and packing out trash.  I know Dave Woods personally carried out dozens of bags of trash/glass and left them at the garbage can that was there at the top.  On one occasion I saw Dave carry two large full bags of trash out while a Ranger was there, the guy did not even say thank you.  Of course there were those climbers that went and cut back/down some trees and scrubbed moss that did not really need it.  I know that did not go over real well.  Over all I think the climbers cleaned it up quite a bit and slowed down the hard core partyers that were encamped at that place.  Have not been there in about 8 years.  It always seemed to me that it could be a really cool place if 1/2 the people involved could work together.

Seems the problem is the hard liners.  The hard line partyers that have to throw their bottles from the top, the hard line climbers that have to scrub, bolt and cut down anything they justify, the hard line Park Service folks that refuse to work with people.

I miss tossing my empties off that thing! J/K, plenty of memories climbing there. I sent a letter it. Send in, YO!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
Climbers are being used to keep out the partiers. Climber impact is entirely nominal, and non existent wrt raptors with seasonal closures.

Jake M.

• Cobble Crimpers
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »
I sent mine.

Summit has the best cracks at Castle.  My favorite is the first 5.9 corner, I think it's called Double Cracks? And "Wide Crack" -  the 5.7 chimney/ow - is great too.  Years ago I remember seeing a fixed piece on Skill Saw Gourmet, did anyone ever lead that on gear only?  Is it even possible?

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
Too bad that it will likely have to come to a legal battle to re-gain access.

That $$ could be better spend on all sides fixing up the park.

Go anywhere else and climbers and land managers work together to help improve the over-all park.

I'm not worthy.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
Looks like the rocks are in good shape!

Man them birds are messy.

I'm not worthy.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »
Oh that's crap. Bummer.....did you go up?

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
nope, poached it from ST.

It should be a crime to sell paint to birds.
I'm not worthy.

cobbledik

• Mudders
  • Bucky approves
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
It IS illegal to sell paint to birds in Saratoga.

Those sketchy aviary punks though figured out a way around it: they work in teams, each team only eating berries of a certain color, then they work in tandem, crapping their variously colored droppings onto the rockface. Viola! Bird tagging au natural.

well, it's at least metaphorically true.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
For clarification:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=893893&tn=140

They had a raptor expert flown in to talk to the relevant stakeholders.  A first good step.

cobbledik

• Mudders
  • Bucky approves
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
But is that person an expert in raptor rock tagging?

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »
Gavin can explain the progression.

There must be some sort of gateway habit that leads them into it.
I'm not worthy.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Bad seed ;D

cobbledik

• Mudders
  • Bucky approves
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
There's probably some rebellious young raptors up in the high peaks tagging their nests up something fierce. No wonder they keep us away; it's to protect the climbers.

I hear those birds will kill a fool for setting up a rappel using the wrong color webbing in their hood.

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »

I hear those birds will kill a fool for setting up a rappel using the wrong color webbing in their hood.

Precisely why I roll with red AND blue at all times.
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
Once ya go black
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan