Author Topic: Climbing Advisories and Closures 2024 (Protection of Nesting Birds of Prey)  (Read 477763 times)

wbuckingham

• LoadStone Lovers
Very helpful everyone, thanks!

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
Hey All -

I've updated the closure lists today. Note that all closures in the park - except the south half of Machete - are now lifted. The temporary closure at Machete will stay in effect until further notice.

Now if we can just get a cold snap for a week or two to get some relief from the summer heat!

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Thanks Gavin.
I need to get out to some of the reopened areas for rebolting.
I think we may be strictly dreaming on a cold snap right now.
I told clink it felt like 100 today and the park gauge says it was 99 at 2:30 - which is about the time we hit the west side parking lot. It was just too hot to want to do much. Luckily we were able to stay shaded for the majority of our less than fruitful recon of Tabooboo.
One wheel shy of normal

Gavin

Re: Climbing Advisories And Closures 2016 (Protection of Nesting Birds of Prey)
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »
Just a heads up: the condor crew staff finally ended the closure at Machete Ridge, so all climbs are currently open again at that area. Machete should remain open after January 16, unless I start seeing falcon activity in the area as the raptor season proceeds.

Gavin

Re: Climbing Advisories And Closures 2016 (Protection of Nesting Birds of Prey)
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Hey All -

Just a heads-up that the climbing advisories are in effect as of today, Tuesday, January 17th. Note that some areas that are usually closed for initial advisories are still open, including Machete, Scout Peak, Beak Peak, and the central High Peaks (including N. and S. Fingers, Condors Crag, Long's Folly, etc.). If I note falcons nesting at any of these formations I'll update closures accordingly.

Gavin

Hey All -

I've updated advisories / closures for the mid 2017 season. The main changes are that all routes at Citadel are open, and all routes at Gargoyle and Piedras Bonitas Cliffs are now under advisory. (It's the first time falcons have nested at Piedras Bonitas in over 15 years.)

Let me know if you have any questions!

clink

• Meanderthal
 Thanks for the update and the heads up about PB Cliffs.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Gavin

Hey gang -

Just a heads-up that all closures have been lifted for the year... Falcon and other raptor young have fledged from the cliffs and I took down the closure signs over the past few days. It may take me a bit longer to update the trailhead bulletin boards - our printer has been on the fritz - but you can disregard out-of-date information on those for now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

clink

• Meanderthal

Thanks for the update.

JC and KC have fledged into sport climbers. JC is elbow deep into a chalk bag somewhere in the far East by now. >:D

JC w KC redux

Thanks for the update.

JC and KC have fledged into sport climbers. JC is elbow deep into a chalk bag somewhere in the far East by now. >:D

I am not now, nor have I ever been a sport climber.
I did not use a chalk bag or chalk, although I was actually tempted at times by the heat and greasy feel of the rock.
I didn't lead anything harder than 5.8
The most important thing was that we had fun, even in mostly miserable conditions  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal

The most important thing was that we had fun, even in mostly miserable conditions  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod:

:)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
I am not now, nor have I ever been a sport climber.

[the motion is seconded... Senator Mungie from the 108th District has the floor.

Senator Mungie steps to the podium with all the seriousness that a Bud Light Lime can muster...]

"Senator JC, you assert you were not, and are not now, a Sport Climper. But I have here a list of names!"

"Further, I submit to this August body (or January or even February, but never July), that Senator JC is prevaricating, equivocating and subliminally sending messages through my AlumaHat(TM)."

"I ask you, Senator JC, were you lying then or are you lying now?"

[GASP!!!!]

;D
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

JC w KC redux

^^^
Thanks  a lot Chumlee  :lol: :thumbup: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
What about Mud falcon nesting?

Clink?
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
Full-fledged soon.

F4?

• unworthy
Always pays to be higher up out of their trajectory.
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal

We saw a bird of prey flying with a trout in it's talons at Lee Vining canyon last week. Probably an osprey.

Gavin

Re: Climbing Advisories And Closures 2018 (Protection of Nesting Birds of Prey)
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Hey gang -

Just a reminder that closures go into effect - as usual - the day after MLK Day, or January 16th this year. Areas affected should include the usual - Balconies, Crowley, Resurrection Wall, Goat Rock, Tuff Dome, H&L Dome, Yaks Wall and N & S Yaks, etc. Falcons nested at Piedras Bonitas Cliffs last year, so that will be part of the initial closures as well this year. However, Machete will start open, as well as the Central High Peaks and Scout Peak areas.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Gavin

« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Climbing advisories went into effect today, January 16th, 2018. Note that there are a few changes this year: all routes at Piedras Bonitas Cliffs are affected by initial closures (but not Gargoyle, Knuckle Ridge, or Neglected Valley). Some areas that are usually under advisory are totally open: all routes on Machete, Citadel, Whitetail Rock, and Scout Peak.

Let me know if you have questions, and thanks for the support!