Author Topic: GriGri vs ATC  (Read 8848 times)

F4?

• unworthy
Re: GriGri vs ATC
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
Cinch rocks...grigri is so 90's
I'm not worthy.

cobbledik

• Mudders
  • Bucky approves
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/51/Hang_Em_High_Final.pdf worth reading even if it applies to first generation cinches

I use my cinch a lot but always have the images of the cinch failing at such lower catastrophic levels from the above report in my head. With the sometimes, less than dynamic self-belay you may be looking at when soloing/shortfixing combined with a pitch that starts out with hooking makes me think twice.

does it almost ever apply? no. but as my students are oft to say in response to anything i ever say to question the logic of their points of view, "yeah, but still."

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:40 AM »
I have and use both an ATC and a GriGri2, also still have a GriGri... Depending on the application both device types are great to have. My wife uses a Cinch but I always found that a bit too small and cramped in my hands.

I agree that the GriGri2 is initially a bit harder to use than the GriGri... It locks up more aggressively than the GriGri, which safety-wise I suppose is a good thing, but it makes it harder to maintain a smooth lower. The ATC feels more intuitive for lead belays but I've figured out how to make the GriGri work effectively. The GriGri is great for me a I do a lot of solo TR at Pinnacles and is great for setting up draws on routes with directional issues.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:31 AM »
I have and use both an ATC and a GriGri2

we'll have and start using both soon!
thanks for all the feedback everybody!!
One wheel shy of normal