Author Topic: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)  (Read 48245 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
Why not just go for the tour this weekend?

I was at Pinns Saturday and Sunday, and then Tuesday and Wednesday. Now I'm leaving this coming Wednesday for a week in Joshua Tree. I desperately need a weekend at home with the family in between.

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
J-tree? That sounds nice. If the weather stays good I may be open to the idea of meeting you down there. I've been wanting to do some paintings there.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »
Now I'm leaving this coming Wednesday for a week in Joshua Tree.

Killin' me! I wanna go!! Unfortunately I have this 4 letter word that prevents it.
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
Killin' me! I wanna go!! Unfortunately I have this 4 letter word that prevents it.

Pins
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
lol!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
I think I know which 4 letter word you refer to, but there are some others that might fit too...

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
Holy crap, man. 

We're lucky someone of your story-telling caliber was the one to tackle it.

Nice.
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yes, I am sure I want to reply.  :P

Phenomenal adventure bump. I have a nice, new, sticky pair of approach shoes that are itching to do this. How many times has it been repeated?

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
Yes, I am sure I want to reply.  :P

Phenomenal adventure bump. I have a nice, new, sticky pair of approach shoes that are itching to do this. How many times has it been repeated?

I don't think it has in its entirety unless Atomizer did it - as far as I'm concerned he did. He did say he skipped one summit at Crowley. He wasn't sure he climbed all the right stuff but he probably did. Toadstool is the only thing near Little Flatiron and it is way harder. No way I would free solo some of the stuff Brad has listed. Climbing up isn't usually that bad but downclimbing some of that stuff - no thanks. Adam suggested carrying a light cord. The good news is I rebolted and put chains on the summits that didn't have them - e.g. Little Flatiron. I'd never make the mileage much less the climbing and a lot of that supposedly 4th class stuff is not. Make sure your life insurance is up to date and a sufficient amount  :yikes:  
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
I did the whole thing but when the days were longer. I have also done days that follow pretty much the same route where I have tractioned a dozen routes along the way. I did not have the means then to track the hiking with gps but I think it is around 15 miles.

Carrying a cord and having to manage it would have slowed me down big time. Looks easy has it right, wear a pair of approach shoes that you are familiar and comfortable with. Down climbing skills are crucial.

Some down climbing highlights that I remember are Little Flat iron, frothy flake, and the back of the citadel.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »

I actually haven't done it and would like to. You got a day in November? Move fast and light.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 07:03:35 PM »
Hope he takes you up on your offer. Having you along would be a great asset. I think at the time I was about 75% familiar with the location of all the routes.  The unknown 25% and the bushwhack from below the dragonfly to the back of the citadel really cut into the time.

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
I actually haven't done it and would like to. You got a day in November? Move fast and light.
Hope he takes you up on your offer. Having you along would be a great asset.
I dunno, I'm 35 years old and my mom still gets nervous when she hears I meet strangers from the internet. She might straight have a heart attack if she finds out how far into the bush I'd be going with one for this.  :D

But if you're offering, and a day coincides, I'd love to partner with you for it. My wife's schedule isn't finalized for November yet, but tentatively Sunday the 6th, Saturday the 19th, or Sunday the 20th look open.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »

...but tentatively Sunday the 6th, Saturday the 19th, or Sunday the 20th look open.

Lemme check my calendar (it's at work) and let's see if we can work it out  :)

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
Go get it! I remember the day i did this very well, maybe one the most awesome days I've had in the Pinns. Good to have the beta for getting to The Citadel and to be ready for some pretty committing moments. There some real 4th class out there!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »

Go get it! I remember the day i did this very well, maybe one the most awesome days I've had in the Pinns. Good to have the beta for getting to The Citadel and to be ready for some pretty committing moments. There some real 4th class out there!

Once you've done the descent from the High Peaks down past The Citadel, it's pretty easy and pretty brush free. But if you get off track - yikes! You'll be swimming in brush.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »

But if you're offering, and a day coincides, I'd love to partner with you for it. My wife's schedule isn't finalized for November yet, but tentatively Sunday the 6th, Saturday the 19th, or Sunday the 20th look open.

I could make any of the three of those work. I'll keep them open and let me know if they work for you.

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »
Fantastic! Thanks Brad. Unfortunately it will probably be a couple weeks 'til I can lock in any of those days for sure, but as soon as I know I'll be in touch.

I have to dash, but I'll pm you additional contact info when I get home this evening.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
Make sure your life insurance is up to date and a sufficient amount

Suicide is not covered for at least the first 2 years,
Causing trouble when not climbing.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
 BTW I am insured for a substantial amount and figure as a climber with dependents it is responsible.This is my 9th or so term policy. I kept upping the value as the family grew. Then i shopped for the best price, the last change was to get into a 30 year term before turning 49.5 y.o.a. So now i have 2 policies, first because of the 2 year probation period and secondly for the next decade i will still have annoying people who depend on me other than my extraordinarily beautiful and patient wife.

Loose Screw-route word.
Causing trouble when not climbing.