Author Topic: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)  (Read 48251 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
The dad's reply in this reminded me of something Brad would say, although with his smart daughters he won't ever have to reply so.

Causing trouble when not climbing.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 06:45:15 PM »
I'd be game for this endeavor.

Clink my policies are current.
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:26 PM »
I could make any of the three of those work. I'll keep them open and let me know if they work for you.

For me this one is covered by the Chance Brothers. :nonod: :frown2: :yawn: :sleep:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »
It's a conditioning tour. And don't forget that "death" is nothing but a condition  ;D

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
Not inspiring confidence, Brad...

:P

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
You know, since we're actually talking about doing this thing, I should make three things clear:

1. I "created" this "tour" on a whim, as a response to Munge's "tours" thread.

2. It was Adam who then breathed life into the idea - he took it and ran with it, which I'd never thought about doing.

3. We should think of it as nothing but a hike. Maybe a hike with benefits. We'll do just fine. And who knows, maybe the weather will turn crap on us (always a good excuse to cancel)  ::)

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
Rereading this TR again, I came across this Freudian Slip for the first time:

I summit the very exposed Frothy Flake at 2:16 PM. This is a potential you fall you die route. The drop is over 100 feet off the fright at the crux

:o :D

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
Also, since we're discussing it, here it is as originally proposed on Rob's thread:

Here's a "conditioning tour," for a day when you need exercise, you need some time outdoors, but you don't have a partner, and/or don't want to rope up:

Start on the East Side:

1. Hike up Bear Gulch to the reservoir. After reaching the dam, turn to the right and climb the class four route on the back side of Tiburcio's X;

2. Descend and move to the dam and then up the Chalone Peak Trail. Take this a short distance to The Sisters, move up to their north side and ascend Second Sister by way of one of the class four Northwest Chimney routes;

3. Descend back to the Chalone Peak Trail, continue a very short distance to the climber trail that leads to The Hand and The Frog. Go partway out this before moving left up the climber trail to Gertie's Pinnacle. Climb the class four North Side Chimney on this formation;

4. Return to the trail that leads to The Frog, hike to that formation and climb the class two South Side Shuffle;

5. Descend back to the creek that leads into the reservoir, but do not turn right to return. Instead, hike up toward Knuckle Ridge, continuing to Little Flatiron and ascend that (class four);

6. From Little Flatiron continue up the ridge toward Scout Peak. Continue past this formation to Possibility Pinnacle and a superb class three to a great summit;

7. Continue to the High Peaks Trail and then hike north on that to Spike's Peak. Climb Kermit (class four);

8. Return to the High Peaks Trail, move just a little further north and then leave to trail to ascend Frothy Flake (class four);

9. Return to the trail and move to Dragonfly Dome. Descend between this and Sidehorse to Egg Shell. Continue downhill on the west side of Egg Shell, cross country to The Citadel (with care and some study, this cross country route can be done with very little brush - I've done it three times). Climb the class four route on The Citadel's south side;

10. Descend and then move around to the north side of The Citadel. Take the climber's trail toward the West Side, but divert up and left to class four Penny Pinnacle;

11. Return to the climber's trail and take this to the Balconies Trail. Take this trail past The Flumes and almost to The Balconies before taking the climber's trail to Crowley Towers. Climb the class three Tower Two;

12. Move over to the class two Tower Five;

13. Descend back to the Balconies Trail. Take this to Smiling Simian. Climb the 5.0 Easy Route on this (the only class five on this tour).

Return to the Balconies Trail and take this to the Chalone Creek Trail which can be followed to the Chalone Creek maintenance area on the East Side. Continue back to the east side parking areas.

EDIT:

After actually doing this tour in November, 2016, I'd edit the list as follows:

1. Climb #5, Little Flatiron isn't class four. The "class four" North Chimney route on Little Flatiron is really 5.3 R. That means that there are two 5.4 routes on that formation. Climb either one as part of this tour.

2.  Change the introductory comments about not wanting to rope up: take a 100 foot rope. It's just the right length for making rappel descents from a few formations. These rappel descents are, in each case, faster, easier and safer.

3.  After finishing The Citadel, make sure to descend around its west side (the side toward the West Side parking area; this is left as one is looking down at The Citadel from above its back side). Then, to approach Penny, rather than going all the way down to the climber's trail at the base of The Citadel, hitting the stream that drains below Penny, and then hiking back up to it, cut right down to Penny from the northwest side of The Citadel. Cut down where the descent off The Citadel has reached a low point at which, to reach the climber's trail at the front/north side of the formation, one would move east 100 feet, up and over the gap between The Citadel and Whitetail (and then would go down between the two from the same gap). In other words, don't go up and through this descent gap - skip it in favor of cutting down to Penny early (the top of Penny can be seen from parts of the descent off The Citadel).

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
How about (F) under "tours" in the Roper guide:

"Struggle up No Holds Barred, then thrash cross country to the Yaks.Head for the High Peaks and two "nightmare" climbs- Jubillation Pinnacle and Lower Teapot Dome.  Do The Egg fifth class,  then head cross country for the Old Pinnacles area, where one must do the Torso.  After these warm up climbs are out of the way, one should be anxious to get onto the Premeditated or the route on the front of the Balconies.  This circuit is given somewhat in jest, although in the future it will undoubtedly be an "easy day for a lady"

Option (E) is pretty good too:

" A hard day involving many miles of hiking and many pitches of 5.6+ climbing can be done in the following manner-  do a hard route on the monolith, climb the Hand and the Snail, walk up to the Neglected Valley, doing Triple Decker, the Toadstool, and the Outcast, head up the hill and do the Shaft, then proceed North along the Upper Trail, finishing the day on Freedom Dome, Jam Crack Rock, and Doodlin Dody. This day should help one to get into shape."

I'd take a photo of the pages from the book but I'm afraid to open it too wide and break the spine.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »

I'm going bowling.
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
In Soledad? East Siders vs. West Siders or Stance Bolters vs. Hookers?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »

How about (F) under "tours" in the Roper guide:

"Struggle up No Holds Barred, then thrash cross country to the Yaks.Head for the High Peaks and two "nightmare" climbs- Jubillation Pinnacle and Lower Teapot Dome.  Do The Egg fifth class,  then head cross country for the Old Pinnacles area, where one must do the Torso.  After these warm up climbs are out of the way, one should be anxious to get onto the Premeditated or the route on the front of the Balconies.  This circuit is given somewhat in jest, although in the future it will undoubtedly be an "easy day for a lady"

Option (E) is pretty good too:

" A hard day involving many miles of hiking and many pitches of 5.6+ climbing can be done in the following manner-  do a hard route on the monolith, climb the Hand and the Snail, walk up to the Neglected Valley, doing Triple Decker, the Toadstool, and the Outcast, head up the hill and do the Shaft, then proceed North along the Upper Trail, finishing the day on Freedom Dome, Jam Crack Rock, and Doodlin Dody. This day should help one to get into shape."

I'd take a photo of the pages from the book but I'm afraid to open it too wide and break the spine.

I had no idea that his book had any recommended tours!  :o

And be careful, discussing "hookers" and "in Soledad" might get you banned from this site.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Maybe you can include some "Tours" in your new edition.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:09 AM »
Maybe a hike with benefits.

:)

I gave this kinda thing up at the age of 19. The questionable holds on the 5.8 section of last pitch of the West Face convinced me it was a bad idea. The down climbing you guys do is the most freaky.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:09 AM »

correction; The most freaky of you guys, down climb what you 3rd class.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
considering the admins on this site it is not likely you will get banned for hooking in Soledad.
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
Noal, that's about what my old partner and I schemed up 20 yrs ago. All climbs @ 5.10 or so.

Essentially, a route on each major formation in the monument (Disco wall, monolith, coyote ugly, balconies, muchshitty ridge, condor crag and citadel to name a few).

The goal is the most formations.

The hard part is getting a partner.

Side note: my 1st outing with Mr. Mud was about 15 routes on various formations on the east side.
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
In Soledad? East Siders vs. West Siders or Stance Bolters vs. Hookers?

I wanna be on the Happy Hookers team although I am just a slingin' slut. :lol: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
I'm always up for doing a roped version.  Up thread I mentioned that I have followed a similar path to Brad's Day out microtraxioning. The hiking was as much importance as the climbing hence some big gaps where more routes could be added. Here's the routes from one of those days:

Start on Condor Gulch Trail
Don Genaro Slab 10a x2
Little Javelina 5.9
Babies on the ceiling 5.7
The Back Nine 10.b x2
Keller ArĂȘte 5.8
The 800 club 5.7

Hike back over High Peaks back to the Frog
The Fast Lane 5.8 x 2

Back to the reservoir

Coyote Ugly 5.9
Alibaba 10.b

The nice thing about traxioning is you can get past the hurdle of finding a partner that is equally motivated/glutton for punishment.

I took two trips to the north east frontier/yaks last month and had a lot of fun before 2pm (the frying hour).  I was even home in time to watch the debate!

Pit Viper 10c x3
Liebackers Lullaby 5.8 x 2 top two pitches
Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust 10.b top two pitches
Shoot the Tube 10.a x2
Beast of Burden 10a x2
Wizard's Wall 10.a x2

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »
But I have social skills!