Author Topic: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)  (Read 48247 times)

looks easy from here

• Mudders
Re: Brad's Tour of Mud (TR)
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
HEY!

I wore brand new pants (shorts, actually) on all the other days I was down there. Gimme some credit!

Ha. I actually just saw them in the Quest for Mud thread. But "all the other days" would have been very little consolation for me.  :tongue:

Before hanging out with him, I would have bet that looks easy from here wouldn't get that reference. But when I hummed the tune from that show (as I was bat-manning down Gertie's) and asked him what it was, he got it right away.

Cultural attache Junior?
I think you may underestimate the cultural awareness of that series. For shows from that era I'd say it's probably second only to Star Trek. (Or maybe I'm an intractable nerd and overestimate.)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »

(Or maybe I'm an intractable nerd and overestimate.)

These aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

scotticusmaximus

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2016, 10:24:32 PM »
Alright, this has been a long time coming, so here it is - the trip report that nobody asked for:  :)

I had Halloween day off and was excited to get back to Pinnacles after a great time at this year's PCAD.  The original plan was to head out with Meg and maybe check out Crud and Mud a little bit more.  But, lo and behold, Meg was unable to attend, so it was just me.  Now, I had been reading Atomizer's report, and a seed was planted in my mind.  I'd just go out to the park and...see how it all went.

A little past 9 o'clock arrival time and I was the first person in the upper parking lot.  After a quick bathroom break and water restock I was on my way.

I knew well the way up the backside of Tiburcio's.  One down, and feeling good!

I made it over to the second sister and thought the second chimney looked easier.  A theme for the day would start to emerge here - not looking closely enough at the topos in my rush to be quick and efficient (irony?).  I made it partway up, saw a move I wasn't willing to make and then downclimbed, calling it good.  Reaching the ground, I looked at the book and realized there was an easier way so, not wanting to miss a summit so early on, I clamored back up.

From on top, the other chimney seemed like it might be an easier way down.  Not only was I wrong, but it was infested with poison-oak.  Ah well, onto objective 3.  I'd climbed the Hatchet before, but never made it all the way out to Gertie's Pinnacle.  Luckily, the way was well marked and the rock quickly came into view.

The route was pretty fun, minus a portion that was overrun by poison oak.  That made for a little bit more excitement when I climbed out of the safety of the chimney to bypass it.

It was a pretty good view from on top, and I was beginning to enjoy myself.  The second sister had thrown me for a little loop, so Gertie's had psyched me back up for the adventure.

Heading out to the Frog I got to finally see the fruits of the PCAD labors for the approach trail.  I was on one of the crews 2 years ago that helped blaze the new trail through the undergrowth, but I hadn't been back this way since that time.  I was happy to see that it was still in tip-top condition!

I passed by the Thumb on the way up to the Frog.  I always thought it would be fun to have a route called Endless Thumber on there, but have no idea if there would be any room/possibility for that.  A short hike later and a mellow romp up the Frog - stunning images ensued.

Looking over at Crud and Mud from up top.

I was really loving life at this point.  I was able to text Meg too and update her on my progress.  I could even see the Little Flatiron from on top and was feeling pretty good and confident about how things were going.  I had a little snack, took the views in one last time, and then off I went.

This is where things started to go wrong.  I have never been to the Neglected Valley so was unsure exactly where to go.  I started up a drainage that I assumed (and still think) might have been right.  The problem was that the only rock that I positively identified was the Little Flatiron, and you couldn't see that coming up the drainage.  All the other rocks seemed alien and unfamiliar to me.  So I was a little anxious, and trying to make sure I didn't overshoot the objective when I saw this rock poke out of the brush next to me.

I thought that could maybe be Little Flatiron, and it didn't seem like there was that much brush in between me and the rock, so I bushwhacked over to it.  Well, it definitely wasn't it, but now I was even more confused and disoriented as to where I was supposed to go.  There was another drainage just downhill from me so I thought I would try and reach that.  At any rate, I kept bushwhacking and bushwhacking, trying to orient myself, trying to see something that I recognized.  Finally, after an exhausting 45 min - hour I finally saw something I could identify.

I had bushwhacked clear across the Deserted Valley.  Knowing that the High Peaks trail was close by, and being so excited to see an actual trail instead of crawling through brush, I decided to hike up to the Outhouse and come back to Little Flatiron from on top.  I just felt like the original challenge was a little too easy I guess!  ;)

I booked it up the trail - hustling because I knew I had just lost a lot of time.  Up to the outhouse, past Scout Peak, and down again.  Delightfully, there was very little brush and no bushwhacking!  Finally, after an hour and a half I made it to Little Flatiron...but was greeted by a soul-crushing sight.

Meg made me promise I wouldn't do anything too stupid.  Well, I had already, I admit, done some "somewhat stupid" things, but this was an entirely different scenario.  There was no way I was going to safely climb up and down this.  I half-heartedly attempted the beginning of the chimney, but knew that it was no use.  I could probably make it up, but I was not willing to downclimb that.  I was so disheartened - I had wasted so much time and energy trying to find this one rock, only to get shot down.  Not wanting to leave completely empty-handed, I saw a 3rd/4th class route on the next formation uphill.  I scrambled up, but morale was low.

Add to that the fact that I was now doing extra uphill that I wouldn't have had to do if I had not gotten off route.  Speaking of which, I misread the topo (again) and wound up back at the outhouse.  This was even more demoralizing although, thankfully, Possibility Pinnacle was not too hard to find in the end.  The view on top was awesome, and the climbing fun.  It was nice to have a quick and positive success after a failure.

I ended up hanging out on top for a little bit, trying to rehydrate and restock my calories.  I sent Meg a text letting her know where I was - doubt creeping in as I mentioned reevaluating the end goal.  I wanted to at least do all of the summits in the high peaks, but I was unsure if I could do all of it.

Back off I went, and past the outhouse.  But it wasn't long after that my calf started to cramp.  Not a good sign.  I was able to stretch it out, eat a cliff bar, and drink a little water.  After a bit of massaging I tenderly made my way out again.  Spike's Peak was nice and easy to find, and Kermit was a good climb (Atomizer didn't lead me wrong).  Some hikers saw me climb up and one felt inspired to follow.

It was definitely a little bit hairy having her downclimb the whole thing.  I was very nervous that I was going to be the inspiration that led to an accident and injury.  Thankfully she made it down safely - what a relief!

I'd talked to JC about Frothy Flake before and knew that it might be a little bit hairy.  I took some extra time and really studied the topo and approach directions - they were spot on (thanks Brad)!  Definitely a cool and unique place to be.  I would have enjoyed it more, but my leg started cramping again scrambling down into the gully.  After figuring out where it was from the "meadow in the sky," I set off up a rotten (but easy looking) chimney.  A view from the ridgeline before the summit.

A short bit of exposed climbing later I made it on top.

It was definitely a bit nerve-wracking downclimbing this last section back to the ridge - there were some loose knobs and dirty bits, but I gingerly made it back down.  Reversing the rotten chimney bit, a foothold broke on me and I abruptly crashed the last two feet to the ground.  Making my way back to the trail my legs again began to cramp.

So, this was the moment of truth.  I had completed all of the high peak summits.  This would be a perfect time to call it quits and hike back down to the East Side.  In fact, with the state of my legs and the time on the clock (3:30ish at this point) the sane and smart decision would have been to throw in the towel and come back another day.  But that's the thing, I can definitely be stubborn and, more than anything, I did not want to have to come back and finish this thing...at this point I was quite convinced that I never wanted to ever do it again.  It was all or nothing!

It turns out that the one required bushwacking section on the tour, the section that I had been dreading, ended up going smoothly and easily.  I had no idea where exactly I was going at first.  But soon the backside of the Citadel popped up, and I spied a mostly brush free ridgeline that would take me there.

It definitely seemed like a fifth class move to get up and into the 4th class section.  Up I went, making it to the top.  Pretty worked at this point, but I knew that there were only four objectives left.

I had headed the advice of Brad and gone climber's right around the Citadel.  I was rewarded with a trail that brought my hopes up.  But a moment later I had lost the trail and was boulder-hopping down a choked and overgrown gully.  It was at this point that I realized that I never wanted to bushwhack again.  But on I went, snaking my way around, and over rocks, trees, and bushs.  Progress was slow, and the body was feeling it.  Finally, having had enough, I thought I would try and scramble up the side of the hill and get to higher ground to survey my surroundings.  Right as I did this I struck the trail and immediately realized my mistake and how I had initially lost it.  But, I was too excited to be back on a maintained path to lament the loss of time and energy.

I thought Penny Pinnacle would be easy to find and was keeping my eye out for an obvious climbers trail.  Then I hit Elephant Rock.  Shoot!  Turning around and heading back up, I saw it though.  Not seeing exactly where to go, I cut across the stream where it seemed appropriate.  It turns out I picked the right spot, but instead of seeing the separate stream branch I ended up...back in brush.  If I was sick of bushwhacking before, I was just angry at this point.  But it wasn't far away, I could see it.  I just didn't want to get there...but I did want to get there.  Sigh!  Finally I gave in, and crawled the last bit under bushes to reach the base.

On top, looking down I now saw the easy way to approach.  So it goes.  At least my way back to the trail was easier.  But another problem presented itself - I was starting to run low on water.

Stumbling down the Citadel trail, the best thing I had seen in quite some time came into view: the Balconies Trail.

It was like being back in civilization, though there was no one to be seen.  Again, a decision needed to be made - I could divert to the parking lot, restock on water, and then just call it quits and hike out...but I was too far along to do that now, and too close.  If I just made it out to the Crowley Towers, I could drink the last of my water there, and then it would all be downhill.  Plus, I still had a secret weapon up my sleeve.

At any rate, heading up the Balconies trail, and diverging off, I prayed that there wouldn't be any more bushwacking and that there would be an actual trail out there.  The prayer was answered, and the trail was obvious.  The going was painfully slow, but persistent.  Cramps were coming every few steps now, but I put one foot in front of the other.  I'm glad I didn't know exactly how far back the towers were, because I kept seeing "false towers" that would give me hope, spur me on, and make it seem like I was almost there.

I finally made it to the towers, sat down just shy of them and surveyed the landscape I had just come through.  I took the last sip of water as I glanced at one of the prettiest places I have been to in the whole park.

From the front the Crowley towers don't look that complicated, but once you scramble to the back things just get convoluted and deceptive.  I was able to make out the route for tower two and clawed my way up, my leg mostly locked in place to try and stop the cramping.

Tower Five I couldn't quite figure out.  I think I might have done it, but at this point I just said "screw it, close enough!"  This is what I ended up climbing.

A more artistic look of me on top, rather than another shot of an exhausted face.

There was only one summit left.  And despite the sheer exhaustion I was starting to feel good - like I was actually going to pull this off.  I even stopped and took a goofy picture of myself with the Machete in the background and my tongue hanging out.  This was something I immediately regretted, as my tongue turned to instant sandpaper after contacting the air.  Slowly, but surely the last objective came into sight.

I had managed to mess up the approach to a good majority of these climbs already, so why would the last one be any different.  In my zeal to finish it off, I just made a beeline as best I could to the rock.  Definitely a lot taller than I had anticipated, but the climbing up wasn't too difficult.  And then, I was there!

Downclimbing was quite the adventure, especially with the sun beginning to set.  But, after some long and worried moments feeling around on the rock, I set foot back on the ground.  It was time to unleash the secret weapon!

I was going to try and replicate the Bud Light Lime experience, because it seemed appropriate, but the gas station I stopped at in the morning was all out.  Let me tell you though - that PBR was a lifesaver!  The bubbles burned my parched mouth, but oh did it taste so good!

Thankfully the hike back is pretty flat, which gave reprieve to my legs - they finally stopped cramping.  So I slowly sipped my beer, smiled at the quail running to and fro, enjoyed the quiet sounds of the park, and watched the light fade to dark.  The hike back went pretty quickly.  I had the Disney song "I Won't (Say I'm in Love)" stuck in my head, and that helped power me through (probably a far cry from Atomizer's motivational music).

There was something magical about walking up the road the last bit, coming up on Bear Gulch.  I definitely felt like a marathoner or gladiator or something, but no one was there to witness the event; it was just me and Pinnacles.  I must say, when I rounded the corner and saw the first parking lot I let out an audible whoop!  I refreshed my water bottles and set out for the last little bit.  Coming into the upper parking lot, I saw my truck and let out an even bigger yell and pumped the air with my fist.  I had done it!  Not quite the last car in the parking lot, but close.

The ending time.

Honestly, when I first set out, I had ambitions of trying to best Atomizer's time.  It was definitely a hard and humbling experience.  Good sir - the record is still all yours and well done!  In the end though, it was definitely not about time - more than anything I am just stoked that I was able to get it done!

In summary: would I wish this tour on anyone?  No, no I would not.  But, for the person who gets it done, the feeling of accomplishment is immense!  Again, I can't say I have the desire to ever do this again, but I sure hope more people give it a shot!

One final shot of my victory feast at burger. in Aptos.  I felt like I deserved two after an ordeal like that! :)

scotticusmaximus

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »
Hmmmm...the photos seemed to work for me, but don't appear to work anywhere else.  I'll have to fix that, but at the moment it's too late and is time for bed.  Stay tuned! =)

***Edit: Alright, I lied - it bothered me that the photos weren't working.  Hopefully it's all remedied.  Now I can go to bed =) ***

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »
Good news and bad news:

Good news - the photos are fine.

More good news - the trip report was fantastic - we had no idea you'd been out there six days before us (but ask looks easy from here - I told him a few times that I thought I saw footprints where there shouldn't be any)   ;)

Bad news - that pinnacle that you decided not to commit to? That was Toadstool and not Little Flatiron. Toadstool is about 150 yards uphill from Little Flatiron and approaching it from above you must have naturally just assumed.... Skipping it was wise; its start is 5.8, and so the downclimb is also 5.8.

More bad news - you'll have to go do it again to include Little Flatiron  ::)

I can't believe the amount of backtracking you did!!! Tough, tough dude. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I'm going to edit the report again regarding moving from The Citadel to Penny Pinnacle. Rather than going all the way down to the climber's trail, and then back up, we were able to cut right down to Penny from the northwest side of The Citadel (before moving up and over it and Whitetail).

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
Good TR.  I agree you should do it again, you can probably cut your time in half with your new trail knowledge and just a bit of information on some better approaches.  Good times.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2016, 10:21:17 AM »
That was fun.
It looks like you went to Little Mustaugh the first time you got off track and eventually ended up at The Unmentionable. That bushwhack to Little Mustaugh is bad.
Nice job on downclimbing Frothy - I wouldn't do that and also didn't think the chimney was easy.
I agree that the moves up that 20 foot face to the 4th class on Citadel are easy 5th class.
Been a while since I have been up there but Tower 5 didn't look right - sorry dude.
That in no way diminishes your accomplishment. You won't see any TR's from me on this thing.
The beer at the end was a good laugh.
Nicely done!
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »

Been a while since I have been up there but Tower 5 didn't look right - sorry dude.

I agree; from the photo I think he went up a slab that is 50 to 100 feet northwest (climber's right) of the "real" route. Still an impressive feat.

I wish we'd taken of photo of that route up Tower Five - a photo would make it much easier to identify.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »

...you won't see any TR's from me on this thing.

I'll bet he eventually comes around. He'll realize that he knows every move on the tour and give in and do it  >:D  :P

looks easy from here

• Mudders
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
Awesome!

It looks like you hit the end of your water right about where Brad and I did. But I decided I'd rather be more tired than more thirsty and scooted up to the east parking lot for a refill. Hustling there and back actually ended up being the most exhausting past of the trip for me; I got serious jelly legs heading up the Balconies Trail and the climber's trail above the Flumes after tacking on an extra quick mile. But I was glad I did it.

And, c'mon, it's not that bad. It's been less than 2 weeks and I'm already looking at my calendar and trying to figure out a day I can wrangle my cousin out so I can give it another go.  8)

(but ask looks easy from here - I told him a few times that I thought I saw footprints where there shouldn't be any)   ;)

Yep, multiple times. I was quite impressed by his tracking skill.

I wish we'd taken of photo of that route up Tower Five - a photo would make it much easier to identify.

I'm planning on taking Calvin out that way next time we go (he's never been to the West Side), if we're able to get down there before the boids get too territorial. If I do I'll get a snap of it.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
View from summit of Tower 2

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »

Standing at the base of Tower 5 Class 2 route

Class Two for you

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

View from summit of Tower 2

Yes, although your label of Sub-Three is on the wrong formation, it sits over the top of it (which is what I think you intended?).

I can't determine what is Tower Five in this shot, or even if it is visible (I don't think it is visible).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Standing at the base of Tower 5 Class 2 route

Class Two for you

Yes. Those photos are perfect.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
Yes, although your label of Sub-Three is on the wrong formation, it sits over the top of it (which is what I think you intended?).

I can't determine what is Tower Five in this shot, or even if it is visible (I don't think it is visible).

I corrected the labeled pic caption.

Whaddaya want for free?

I'm still waiting for my royalties!
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »

I corrected the labeled pic caption.

Whaddaya want for free?

I'm still waiting for my royalties!

I don't see any change in the caption?

For free? Why the usual near-perfection that you bring to climbing, posting and almost all endeavors you participate in.

And as for royalties, how about being exposed to and allowed to hang out with three wonderful women who share the last name of Young. Priceless, that.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
I don't see any change in the caption?

The caption - not the labels on the picture.
One wheel shy of normal

scotticusmaximus

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
Brad - your and looks easy from here's pictures definitely inspired me to finally post up about my adventure.  I have to say, that makes me feel better that I didn't try to do that climb knowing now that it is 5.8.  I swear though - I walked around that formation and studied the book so hard trying to make sure it was Little Flatiron!  I even picked out the other route on the formation (or so I thought).  I guess Little Flatiron will just be my "white whale."  And I figured I probably didn't do the real Tower Five, but I was quite alright with the fact at the time.  Looking at JC's pictures it is definitely evident that I missed that one now.

And looks easy from here - I was originally intending on writing the TR up soon after doing it, so everything was fresh.  If I had done it then, it would have been a much harsher review on the experience as a whole.  I have to say, with the extra time having past in between when I did it and when I finally wrote everything up, the whole thing seems to have gained a certain positive luster.  Who knows, give it enough time and I very well might take back all my words and be right back out there again! =)

JC w KC redux

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
Toadstool isn't just 5.8 - it is BURLY 5.8
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:23 AM »

...I have to say, with the extra time having past in between when I did it and when I finally wrote everything up, the whole thing seems to have gained a certain positive luster.  Who knows, give it enough time and I very well might take back all my words and be right back out there again! =)

Don't they call that Second Degree Fun? I'll bet that if you ever do it again it will seem easy (well, sort of easy).