Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park February 3, 2013  (Read 2980 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park February 3, 2013
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
Happy Birthday Roy and/or Superbowl Sunday ride...

There were some festivities Friday evening to celebrate Roy's birthday which ran late into the night so we ended up riding on Sunday. Not just any Sunday but Superbowl Sunday. Which is the only day of the year that one can ride this trail

:-)

For a birthday gift, "Operation: Dress Roy in some new duds" was instigated and here is the result, a sharp dressed Roy:

As you can see, the morning was damp and foggy. On the Lyman Willson Ridge Trail climb, dirt clung to our tires adding pounds of slowly rotating weight. Roy responded by setting a PR on the wall. Greg and I pushed our bikes up it.

Soon, on the Wagon Road, we broke out of the fog:

We went to Coit Lake and then on to Hoover Lake....where should we go next???

We decided to go up the Laural Trail. At the top....What It Was Like Out There™

The Central Valley looked to be a black pit, ugh!

We went over to Phoneline Trail and descended.  At the bottom Greg pointed out a mylar balloon that had been there forever. Roy had to get it. He waded into the brush while Greg directed. When we lost sight of Roy, Roy would shake a branch to give us his position. At one point he said he was crawling on his belly!

Roy got the balloon of course. Here he saviors his success:

(About 15 minutes later, another balloon was found on Pacheco Ridge Road.)

While that was going on, I took a picture of these flowers:

(I couldn't identify these in the Coe flower book.)

It was 2:45pm and we began our return trip: Greg descends Ridge Trail:

We did another loop around Coit Lake followed by the long grind up to Sierra View:

We had velcro dirt for the Domino Pond » Cattle Duster » Grapevine » Anza downhill....big smiles! ...and we were back to the parking lot just before sunset.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROY!!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=837083

Start at Hunting Hollow » Hunting Hollow Road » Lyman Willson Ridge Trail » Super Bowl Trail » Willson Camp » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Coit Dam Road » Willow Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Laurel Trail » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Ridge Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Coit Dam Trail » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Coit Road » Sierra View » Wasno Road » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Grapevine Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 34.97 miles / 5:50 riding time / 8:23 total time / 6,378' elevation gain / 2 balloons

Roy's track: http://app.strava.com/activities/39717015

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Henry Coe State Park February 3, 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
I should start putting the new mtb together this coming weekend.  Whoo Hooo
Here's to sweat in your eye

Skyline35

• Mudders
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
I should start putting the new mtb together this coming weekend.  Whoo Hooo
Progress? Another Santa Cruz, or a Niner???

My bike project stalled and sat 95% complete for 3 mos but over the last couple weeks I got going on it again. Yesterday I finally took it on the trails (Arastradero Preserve). It's kind of a copy of a friend's bike (the XCc w/650b part of it).

Initially, a mixed review. I'm still getting used to the bike, fiddling with the fit, the seat needs to be broken in… I sense the ~¾"-higher-up from the bigger wheels. The tires grip really well in the turns but I don't feel great forward drive out of the rear tire. I like the remote fork-lock-out but the switch and cable seem vulnerable. I like the suspension and brakes, the quietness of the rear hub (DTSwiss 240s), and that the bike is 4 pounds lighter than my old "light bike". Overall, after some more time on the bike, I'm sure it will be perfect for my long Coe rides.

Blur XCc (from the Santa Cruz Virtual Garage Sale (in August 2012!)), 650b wheels, Shimano 9 speed (20t granny ring), X-Fusion Velvet fork, Formula R1 brakes*.

*Given to me by another friend, they were taken-off another bike and hydro lines were too short so I replaced. At home, it never felt like I could get a really solid bleed but it turned out that on the trail they were great.

24½ pounds as of yesterday - will go up as I add fiddly little crap to the bike.

This is the first bike which I assembled myself and my first new bike in 6 years.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »
Niner.

Sounds like a nice bike.  24.5 with 650b sounds cool.  Once I get the new rig built up we should swap bikes again for a hill climb.  I think my new rig will be much better going down than up, but I think it will go up just fine as well.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
Spent a bit more time looking (drooling) over your bike this morning.  Nice build.  What do you think of the Racing Ralphs?  I rode them for a while but then went with the Nobby Nics and like them a bit more.  To me it seems the NN has a bit more traction than the RR.

I am a bit of a fan of DT Swiss hubs.  Mudworm has them on her FTM.  The new bike will have DT Swiss 350's.  

Skyline35

• Mudders
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Racing Ralphs were the only Schwalbe 650b available when I did the initial buying parts spree (hard to find too). I believe Nobby Nics are out now. I'm impressed with the cornering of the Racing Ralphs and if Nobby Nics are even better then I have something to look forward to. The rear Racing Ralph, the knobs seem to bend over with hard forward drive. Kind of a bristly feel.

I rode it at Wilder Ranch today, here it is in the Redwoods:

Ha, I now know where to put the clear (protective) stickers. There are a few more teething issues to deal with but it was really fun to ride!

ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø,¸.¸,ø¤º°*°º¤ø

Edit to add yet another photo....at Turtle Rock after climbing Charcoal Road and effortlessly setting a new PR.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I ended up with NN in front and RR out back.  Now I have RR in back and Maxis Ardent in the front