Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park June 5, 2013  (Read 2097 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park June 5, 2013
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
A mid-week solo mountain bike ride at Henry Coe State Park on some of my favorite trails…

For the second week in a row, I am swapping my ride days and hitting Coe on Wednesday—much better temps plus there is a run/walk event next Saturday at Hunting Hollow which will fill up the parking lot.

The unusual May heat and lack of rain has the trails very, very dry. The trail surfaces are coated with loose dirt, gravel, and rocks.....not a lot of fun to ride on. It didn't help that there was a 3 day horse event last weekend which pummeled the front range trails a bit. I could see that my Summer break from Coe rides might begin earlier this year so my approach to the day was to cover a bunch of the south park singletrack as if this is the last time I'll be there for a while.

A few random photos from here and there on the ride…

A by-product of a solo ride is the dreaded "Empty trail” photo syndrome:

That is the Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail. The streams have almost dried-up. The grass is "golden".

The ramada @ Coit Lake:

That is ramada with a small r.

Last March, the California Conservation Corp spent days clearing out reeds growing in the spillways of various lakes in the area.

Well, the reeds are growing back nicely:

The Pipestems have turned white:

Santa Clara County has clarified the parking situation the Coyote Creek gate:

Those No Parking signs weren’t there when I went through in the morning.

Start at Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek entrance » Coit Road » Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail » Rock Tower Trail » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Cross Canyon Trail » Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail » Coit Road » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Coit Dam » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Ridge Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (lower) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Tule Pond Trail » Grizzly Gulch Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 35.46 / 6:08 / 10:10 / 5,689'

Link to Open Street Map

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Henry Coe State Park June 5, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
this is the last time I'll be there for a while.

NNNOOOOooooooo.........
Here's to sweat in your eye