Author Topic: Posting pictures on the forum  (Read 3176 times)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
Posting pictures on the forum
« on: February 02, 2021, 03:44:36 PM »
Here is some help for folks new to the forum and wondering how to post pictures or wondering how to get them to display properly. I've been trying to help quite a few people lately and I have also gotten questions from folks in the past - so I thought I would just write something and share it openly (and unsolicited).

Please forgive the simplicity of some of my instructions.
I wanted them to be simple enough for a certain Meanderthal to be able to understand and use :lol:
Mudworm suggested screenshots and I can add those if people feel they would help.

How to post pictures on Mud n Crud with a Flikr account.

Open/sign up for a free or a paid Flikr account.
Upload pics to Flikr and once they are uploaded, open each one and get the BBC code. How? When your photo is open in Flikr – look in the lower right-hand corner for a curved arrow (Share) – click on that and choose the BBC code. For size (important to make your photo display properly on the forum), choose the smaller of the Medium settings from the drop-down menu (below the BBC code display). Single click to highlight the code (highlight is blue). Copy and paste to your post on Mud n Crud.
All you need is the part between and including the [img]’s, so delete all the extra stuff in front of/before and after the img’s.
Caption your photo and try the Preview button on Mud n Crud before posting. If I am posting a bunch of stuff or writing a TR – I compose offline and then copy and paste the whole thing in at once in case something crashes while I am composing.

How to Post photos on Mud n Crud using Google Photos

Upload your photos to Google Photos.
I have my account set to “High Quality - store more at a slightly reduced quality.” The other choice is Original. Using the “Original” setting usually makes photos too big to display properly on Mud n Crud (especially phone pictures with big file sizes). The forum has a size limit of 500Kb. If you upload using the Original setting you will probably have to do a minor "fix" to the code to make the pictures display properly.

In Google photos, upload your pictures to a folder/album (you have to create one) and then share the folder/album (create a link but don't use it). Now open each photo and create a link for each one (but again - don't use that link). Once you have shared the album/created a link and created a link for each picture - with the picture still open - right click on the image and choose "copy image address" - then click on the little photo icon on the forum (below Subject/below Italics on the screen) - it will give you two "img's" in brackets with the cursor already blinking in the middle - just paste the image address in between the img's. If your photo does not display properly (too big to see without scrolling up/down, side to side then add the "fix" to your code by changing the first img in brackets to read "img width=600" inside the brackets. Be careful not to add any extra spaces. 

If you don't share the album or forget to create any of the links, Google will give you an outrageously long string of code and you'll know something is wrong. Bonus if this happens - you'll probably be able to see your pictures in the post but no one else will and you won't know it unless someone on the forum tells you.
Don't forget - you can use the preview function to check your post before putting it out there for all to see.
Good luck and keep posting!

One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
Re: Posting pictures on the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
I pasted them to my screen.  But then they are stuck on my screen

Please help me out
I'm not worthy.

germanShepherd

• Lichen It
  • Woof - 'Canis Luto'
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »
Here is some help for folks new to the forum and wondering how to post pictures or wondering how to get them to display properly. I've been trying to help quite a few people lately and I have also gotten questions from folks in the past - so I thought I would just write something and share it openly (and unsolicited).

Please forgive the simplicity of some of my instructions.
I wanted them to be simple enough for a certain Meanderthal to be able to understand and use :lol:
Mudworm suggested screenshots and I can add those if people feel they would help.

How to post pictures on Mud n Crud with a Flikr account.

Open/sign up for a free or a paid Flikr account.
Upload pics to Flikr and once they are uploaded, open each one and get the BBC code. How? When your photo is open in Flikr – look in the lower right-hand corner for a curved arrow (Share) – click on that and choose the BBC code. For size (important to make your photo display properly on the forum), choose the smaller of the Medium settings from the drop-down menu (below the BBC code display). Single click to highlight the code (highlight is blue). Copy and paste to your post on Mud n Crud.
All you need is the part between and including the [img]’s, so delete all the extra stuff in front of/before and after the img’s.
Caption your photo and try the Preview button on Mud n Crud before posting. If I am posting a bunch of stuff or writing a TR – I compose offline and then copy and paste the whole thing in at once in case something crashes while I am composing.

How to Post photos on Mud n Crud using Google Photos

Upload your photos to Google Photos.
I have my account set to “High Quality - store more at a slightly reduced quality.” The other choice is Original. Using the “Original” setting usually makes photos too big to display properly on Mud n Crud (especially phone pictures with big file sizes). The forum has a size limit of 500Kb. If you upload using the Original setting you will probably have to do a minor "fix" to the code to make the pictures display properly.

In Google photos, upload your pictures to a folder/album (you have to create one) and then share the folder/album (create a link but don't use it). Now open each photo and create a link for each one (but again - don't use that link). Once you have shared the album/created a link and created a link for each picture - with the picture still open - right click on the image and choose "copy image address" - then click on the little photo icon on the forum (below Subject/below Italics on the screen) - it will give you two "img's" in brackets with the cursor already blinking in the middle - just paste the image address in between the img's. If your photo does not display properly (too big to see without scrolling up/down, side to side then add the "fix" to your code by changing the first img in brackets to read "img width=600" inside the brackets. Be careful not to add any extra spaces. 

If you don't share the album or forget to create any of the links, Google will give you an outrageously long string of code and you'll know something is wrong.
Don't forget - you can use the preview function to check your post before putting it out there for all to see.
Good luck and keep posting!

Thanks JC & KC!

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
I pasted them to my screen.  But then they are stuck on my screen

Please help me out

You're beyond help  :lol: :yesnod: :crazy: :ciappa:
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
The last time I tried to use flicker with my phone it does not generate an embedded code.  It would only do it on my computer.

Is anybody using an app of any photo sites?  So I can skip having to use the computer.  That's why I dont post photos.  I rarely use the laptop.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »
The last time I tried to use flicker with my phone it does not generate an embedded code.  It would only do it on my computer.
Is anybody using an app of any photo sites?  So I can skip having to use the computer.  That's why I dont post photos.  I rarely use the laptop.

I'm concerned that you have become utterly phonie.

Some of us will have to carry on and keep living in Laptopia so the forum doesn't suffer...until one day when we will all live in Apptopia.

By the way, someone's bot just grabbed your idea from the site and they will make a gazillion bucks designing the new app!  :lol: :yesnod: :thumbup: :biggrin: :ihih:
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
Believe it or not I do probably 75% of my work on my phone.  The computer is good for invoicing and book keeping.  Maybe that is why I stay away from it.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Can’t play a vinyl record on a laptop.
I'm not worthy.

Zay

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:29:36 PM »
... and if we learned anything from Supertopo...

DON'T POST PICTURES YOU DIDN'T FRIGGIN TAKE

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »

Yes! I'm lazy. Just use imgur App . Super easy to use. They have web interface too in case you happen to be on the laptop. When you upload photo(s), you have Public or Hidden to choose from. I choose the latter and just share the post link or the image link where I need to.

If you ask how to get the image url directly from the phone app, this post might answer it: https://thelabradorforum.com/threads/posting-an-image-from-imgur-iphone-app.16289/

This is what it looks like:

Inch by inch, I will get there.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
Cool thanks!

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
Yes! I'm lazy. Just use imgur App . Super easy to use.

So can I delete my instructions now since most people these days are phonies?

That brown spot looks like something F4? would post.
One wheel shy of normal

Zay

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 10:31:02 AM »
John,

I think your instructions are good and so are mudworms. I suck at computers so I just go for the first set I see, and if I don't like it I move on. Both methods should stay.

Posting images on this site in not easy,

so having a thread for it is justified.

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 01:35:12 PM »
I plan to move this thread out of Pinnacles forum, but into Site Announcements forum.

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »
Cool thanks!

One caveat is I have no idea how long imgur will stay around, or will stay free forever. But if I'm just posting an image to support a post I'm making now, I don't care that 5 years down the road, that image does not show up again. Who knows, maybe this forum will not be around then!

Put another way, if it's an image you want to archive for the future, you'll probably want to have, at least, a backup storage mechanism. At this point, Google looks like a safe bet.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »
Who knows, maybe this forum will not be around then! 

Agreed. With the way things have been going lately in the world a lot of crazy things could happen in the next 5 years.  Best to just enjoy each day we are here as much as possible.

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »
Agreed. With the way things have been going lately in the world a lot of crazy things could happen in the next 5 years.  Best to just enjoy each day we are here as much as possible.

It might not even be that deep. It's possible that another future web hosting's mandatory upgrade will render this whole forum package not working. I can't tell you how many times I had hacked around in the past few years (more than a decade by now) to keep the site afloat. The Gallery package stopped working long time ago.

Nothing is guaranteed. That's all I'm saying.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 06:07:26 PM »
I plan to move this thread out of Pinnacles forum, but into Site Announcements forum.

Yes - I thought about that. I wasn't sure what would be the best place but seeing as most people are posting to Pinnacles - it made the most sense to sticky it there. 
Should we just have it on each home page as a sticky so people can find it easily? (seems like too much)
Maybe compromise by keeping it here but put it in announcements too.
One wheel shy of normal

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »
Did some cleanup on the site, and moved this to "Information Desk" board to keep Pinnacles board on topic. Most people here already know how to embed photos. For new comers, can point them to this thread. There are other stickies on the board that can be helpful as well.

P.S. I merged some boards. No posts were removed in the process.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »
Were any bolts harmed?
I'm not worthy.