Author Topic: Guiding The Hulk....  (Read 5315 times)

Atomizer

• Atomized
Guiding The Hulk....
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
And then something I was involved in, climbing The Hulk with one of America's best Sport Climbers.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/blog/?p=4118

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Guiding The Hulk....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
PS: So JC, who is the official pot stirrer now?? Huh?

Ahem...it appears the gauntlet has been thrown down. My money is on clink. ;)
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
so, which is the better writer?!  Does Atomizer have a come back. Stay tuned.
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
I demand one picture of garbage for each day of your recent surfing trip lasciviously embellished with spray the like of which has never been before told. Or else!
Heh, heh
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »
Atomizer went silent........

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
Hahahahah Clink!

I enjoy your entirely comical if not completely inaccurate commentary of Joe's Hulk experience. It seems a little out of place since I don't know you, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are supposed to be here. If anything it was him who lured me into doing the Hulk with him. He planted the seed when I was overwintering In Catalunya last year. His enthusiasm and knowledge of hard sport climbing has rubbed off on me over the 15 or so years that I have known him, so when he said this is what he wanted to do I knew it would be positive for both of us. Just a good time in the mountains for two good friends. Little did I know that he would fall off a 10C. I should have pawned the duty off on someone else... should have saw the signs. But he learned and searched for the way to succeed. A week later he lead the classic 5.13 crack Pyromania and not long later Grand Illusion. That's an inspiring jump in grades.

One of these fellows has a deep secret, in the deepest cavity of his soul, he wants his life to be that of the other.

I truly have no jealously or wanting to be a professional climber or motive to want to kill one. Ive spent enough time around the half dozen or so pros I'm close with to know I'd rather not have my climbing experience be based on numbers or having to spray about it. In fact I've pretty much adopted a new approach to climbing over the last year, to not talk about my accomplishments unless asked.

Why does it matter to me if anyone knows about what I'm doing? And does anyone really care what I'm doing? Should my experience be based on what other people think of me or what I feel? I keep it personal, so you won't see me posting about and spraying about my surf trip, or the week I spent Bouldering and climbing Smokes Rock Course in Bishop after, or my last few days in a sunny 65 Yosemite Valley.

I demand one picture of garbage for each day of your recent surfing trip lasciviously embellished with spray the like of which has never been before told. Or else!
Heh, heh

Sorry I haven't met the expectations of the members of this site. Next time I pick up trash I'll let you know. I'm not going to go out of my way to fill up two bags worth, I can't tell you how many backpacks full of White/brown Poppies I've carried out of Federal Lands (jaded ex-ranger), but when I see trash I'll remove it unless its one of those really cool old beer cans, which I feel should be left for all to experience.

The recent surfing trip (surfing has been scientifically proven to drastically lower one's IQ) allowed the slip of Atomizer's tongue revealing his true self.

No comment

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Atomizer, do not really see you as the spray type, but I will miss the trip reports.  I have enjoyed your writing and that will be missed ( the pictures were enjoyed as well ).  I think Clink was mainly to poking fun and trying to have fun.  Hope to see the occasional TR.  I would spray about something but have not been climbing.

here's to sweat in your eye
Mud
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
lighten up ya'll

the weekend is upon us and choss must be explored!

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
Atomizer,

Clink was only trying to tease you a little.  I will introduce you to him when I see both of you at the gym.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
I try to keep a thick skin when it comes to postings on climbing forums.  After lurking here for a few years and using the site for route info I decided to start posting.   The main reason I wanted to post the mini trip report on the trash thread was to back up my complaint about the trash and trail erosion.  I feel that complaining about something and not taking action in a way,  is somewhat hypocritical.  Maybe I was a little off mark but I felt that documenting the state of things publicly would give some evidence to the Park to where all the trash went and who cleaned it up.

The other reason for my posting was to make contact with other climbers at Pinnacles.  Like I've said in other posts I rarely see or meet other folks.  

As far as spray goes I really felt that Atomizer was  calling the kettle black.  Do I care that you make trips to Spain to climb with Chris Sharma?  Do I care that you can climb 5.13a?  Do I care  that you can climb 10 ten's and 11 11's in one day?  Do I care that that you can do a full circuit around the park and solo 12 4th class routes in a day? (I did the same day in Oct. but did not post it on the internet for fear of sprayage)  The answer is YES I do care out of respect to someone that I do not know personally.  Call me crazy but I expect the same kind of respect.

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
I thought this was one place I could spray in comfort... oh well all good delusions will be demystified with time.
I hope I didn't disrespect anyone. If anything the trash thread was a little weighty. Partially because I didn't support the Political change to a National Park. I had a feeling the good intention of getting more people to The Pinns would result in problems that the park would have trouble handling. I appreciate each and every effort that has been taken to remove trash.

But I tend to dislike internet forums when anonymous people make fun of you and you can't interpret their tone because you don't know them. I take things seriously, its in my nature, I'm a Cancer Rooster. I only know two people with this combo... and its bad. Probably shouldn't take anything I say seriously.

I'm checking out... there are some lines I have been waiting to rap bolt.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »
Hey Atomizer,  I am really not offended or feel disrespected and agree that tone and tongue in cheek humor can be totally misinterpreted on the internet.  I  enjoyed your posts about 10 10's and 11 11's and the 4th class day immensely. 

I just  wanted to clear up my intention for my trash post (maybe it was 50%spray)and point out lots of stuff on climbing sites is essentially "spray"  I felt like you were singling me out mentioning two bags of garbage, soiled drawers, etc and honestly that makes me feel like" why bother posting I'll just go back to lurking on here"

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »
Wasn't trying to single you out with the trash comment.

In this situation two bags of trash is always better than one bag of trash.

Your posts are greatly valued, If you did Brad's 12 summits that would be worthy of some type of post. I have no clue how difficult that adventure actually was.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:25 PM »
no problem.  The most difficult things on the 12 summits thing for me was down climbing the little Flatiron in approach shoes because it was hard to remember which of the cobbles were loose and the other part was  bushwhacking down to the Citadel. Most of the other places I had been to before and I started earlier than you did. Your trip report was an inspiration for my 4th class garbage man day.  I was kind of checking out a hiking route to do 12 roped climbs 5.9 and up in  one day.  Kind of like some of those days out detailed in the Roper guide. Thanks for the inspiration.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
Atomizor,

I apologize for offending you. I should have met you before spewing and will be careful of what i post in future.
You are respected by all those that know you and I hope to have the privilege  of meeting you sometime.  Also I think the Hulk article is great and a classic. My best friend and lifelong climbing partner is an avid surfer, so the banter.

Sincerely,

Clink

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
"but when I see trash I'll remove it unless its one of those really cool old beer cans, which I feel should be left for all to experience."

Its a new day and I want a map showing all the locations of the cool old beer cans.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
Now I am all full of warm fuzzies!

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
The most difficult things on the 12 summits thing for me was down climbing the little Flatiron in approach shoes because it was hard to remember which of the cobbles were loose

Definitely the crux for me too. I ended up down climbing a way that I didn't go up. Onsight down climbing will keep you on your toes.