Author Topic: The PCT Volume 19: Starting Strange and Ending Fun  (Read 12485 times)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
Re: The PCT Volume 19: Starting Strange and Ending Fun
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
We're already planning a two-day, 28 mile leg to Tuolumne Meadows for mid September (which will wrap up our PCT shenanigans for the season).

Nice. You two are an inspiration.
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
so where is the gold?

Damn Brad, you are crushing the JMT section of the PCT this year.
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »

Damn Brad, you are crushing the JMT section of the PCT this year.

Yeah, it seems that way. But the whole PCT is 2,658 miles long, and we've only done a third of that. We'll actually need to pick up the pace next summer!

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
Great work, family Young!  That next bit, the High Trail, is one of my favorite Sierras walks.  Will you stay at Thousand Island Lake? 

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Great work, family Young!  That next bit, the High Trail, is one of my favorite Sierras walks.  Will you stay at Thousand Island Lake? 

I agree Bob, that High Trail has some of the very best views I've seen anywhere. I'll certainly post photos taken from that part of the trial. And we'll likely do the whole hike to Tuolumne Meadows in two days, meaning no, we'll go past Thousand Island Lake and even over Donahue Pass on the first day (with super light packs).

Gavin

• Bird Man of Pinnacles
    • Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
Nice trip reports along the PCT and JMT, Brad. Alacia and I just finished a 14-day backpacking trip ourselves - not in the Evolution Basin area as originally planned (due to possible smoke from the Aspen Fire, which looks like it didn't materialize by your trip reports) - but in Sequoia National Park, hiking a massive loop that included 5-6 days off trail and navigating through the Kaweah Basin... I'll try to post my own trip report soon!

That was cool to see you and Tricia finishing up the latest trek at Devil's Postpile. A few years ago I did a solo trek from Agnew up to Thousand Island Lake, then eventually wrapping around past Edith Lake and crosscountry over to Minaret Lake. Very pretty country in there.

Speaking of which, the country right near Donahue Pass is very pretty, definitely recommended for camping (...based on yet another trip I did with my twin brother in the area a couple years ago).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
Alacia and I just finished a 14-day backpacking trip ourselves - not in the Evolution Basin area as originally planned (due to possible smoke from the Aspen Fire, which looks like it didn't materialize by your trip reports) - but in Sequoia National Park, hiking a massive loop that included 5-6 days off trail and navigating through the Kaweah Basin.

That sounds like two reasons we didn't see you: you weren't in the Evolutions, and you (maybe?) went a little later than you had thought you would.

Well we did scrutinize everyone we could anyway, near and far, while were in the Evolution area ourselves, hoping we'd get a chance to say hello to you.

We'll wait enthusiastically for your trip report.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Vicki, Tricia and I are spending the night in Mammoth. We're getting up early so we can drive over Minaret Summit (gotta be over before 7:00 a.m. or ride the shuttle).

Tomorrow we'll do 15 miles up to and just over Donahue Pass. And then a cruiser, gorgeous 14 miles to Tuolumne Meadows on Sunday. The "High Trail" (the higher of two trials from Agnew Meadow to Thousand Island Lake) is one of the prettiest trails I've ever hiked - and it's the first half of tomorrow's walk.

Meanwhile, Katie, who turned 18 on Tuesday (yeah you do remember her when she was three feet tall; and yes, you are that old), is home packing for school and enjoying her second-to-last weekend of total freedom.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »
Wow I'm jealous. Have a great trip brad. Kids....if they have taught me anything it's they are the best gauge of passing time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber