Author Topic: One for the road  (Read 54996 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: One for the road
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »

And what would happen if a tire "burst" on a uni? It's hard to see a mental picture of it "exploding" and depositing you on the ground. Slow leakage unto uselessness sounds more likely.

And then a long walk home probably.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
And what would happen if a tire "burst" on a uni? It's hard to see a mental picture of it "exploding" and depositing you on the ground. Slow leakage unto uselessness sounds more likely.

Chance Brothers on the burst.
I only use about 15 pounds of tire pressure.
I was terrified to take a ride today since I had bad experiences with turning the last 2 times I put on new rubber.
Lowering the pressure is the key but the tire is still much more reactive (squirrelly to the slightest change in body movement (compared to a worn tire).
Ironically I made all my usual turns and had an unplanned dismount on the straights on the way back home.
I was cruising along and for some strange reason (I think I just got too comfortable and relaxed a little too much) - I lurched a little forward, shifted off the balance point and dumped off the front. I ran it out but the landing was a little abrupt - luckily I was going pretty slow. I think I was just tired since it took me 10 times to get back on.

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:44 PM »
So unicycle tires need a break-in period just like climbing shoes.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
So unicycle tires need a break-in period just like climbing shoes.

Nope. It breaks you in... :ihih:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »

Here's part of the worst worn section of tire with me pointing to the spot where it was literally down to just threads and the tube was trying to squeeze through. What a testament to the durability of this tire.

One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
Saw your dopplerganger today at the bottom crystal springs.  Dude on a unicycle with knee pads on.  What are the chances?  What I want to know is if he rode from skyline down to polyphemus. Whoa.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2020, 07:56:47 AM »
Saw your dopplerganger today at the bottom crystal springs.  Dude on a unicycle with knee pads on.  What are the chances?  What I want to know is if he rode from skyline down to polyphemus. Whoa.

Invalid without pics?  :lol:

I saw a guy riding the AIDS ride on one in June 2019 (the riders come past our house).
He was just cruising along like there was nothing to it. I knew better  :yesnod: :ihih:
Looked like a fancy rig with handlebar and brake (should have gotten a pic but who knew?).
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
Sometimes you gotta evolve....Nah!
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »
I had a real treat over the July 4th weekend when my buddy Dave came up to visit and pick up my old 26 inch unicycle.
He bought a 20 inch wheel for $20 at a garage sale and spent about a month learning to ride during the lockdown.
I told him I was so proud of him for learning that I would gladly give him a bigger and better wheel so he could keep advancing.
I was amazed when he got up on the bigger wheel almost instantly and after a couple runs using the curb to mount, he managed to figure out how to free mount (I showed him the tire grab method). I couldn't believe how quickly he was catching onto everything (he is a natural). We rode around on the service road across the street from our house and then decided to load up the wheels and drive back into the back part of my neighborhood where there is little traffic (it's part of my regular circuit).

Here are some stills from a video Dave's wife took while we were riding together the first day.
Watching the video, I was stupefied that Dave was looking back. Looking around while riding is not something that you normally do when in the beginning stages of riding. Dave took things to the next level in more ways than one - in just a few hours.

Dave looks back and says - "you can't catch me!"

This is the first time I have ever ridden with someone else.

Duuude...

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Isn’t that so cute!!!
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Almost makes me want to get one myself....

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2020, 07:04:54 AM »
Almost makes me want to get one myself....

The key word there is almost.
There's the Crank Brothers and then there's the Chance Brothers  :lol: :ihih: :arf:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2020, 07:39:40 AM »
There are so many things - like learning to unicycle - that I'd love to do and/or learn, if only there were time. Gardening (speaking of which, Clink, how are Grover and Oscar doing?), birding, sailing (more than the occasional outings on the bay with my uncle).

Oh for a second (and then third) lifetime.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
There are so many things - like learning to unicycle - that I'd love to do and/or learn, if only there were time.
Oh for a second (and then third) lifetime.

Reincarnation  :idea:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
Oscar is five feet tall, Grover is 8 inches shorter but has way bigger balls. I'll send pics to JC to validate.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2020, 07:49:45 PM »
Kline, jealous???
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »

I talked to Dave today.
He biffed during a free mount attempt yesterday and tweaked his wrist pretty good.
He rode with the wrist brace the doctor gave him today.
He said he had a good ride and completed several successful, continuous laps around his usual circuit.
He was never able to do that on his 20 inch wheel.
He is hooked. More proof that unicycling is an addictive, adrenaline sport.

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2020, 02:39:54 PM »

I have no way to edit this but there are only a few bobbles and it's still relatively short (only 92 seconds you'll never get back).
I tried to get Dave to do some loops at the end but he was focused elsewhere.  :yesnod: :lol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jZU4TUA9QJEd5eHKnSb8xebUqX5lWkBF/view
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »
Good for Dave for picking it up so fast. But he's got a ways to go - the difference between the two of you in "smoothness" is very noticeable. He'll get there though....