Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park October 19, 2013  (Read 2749 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park October 19, 2013
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
Return to Coe, Part I

My return to Coe after my injury began October 5, 2013 with a social sunset ride timed to end as the 2013 HardCOEre 100 participants finished. We (Amiel, Brian W, Mike B, and Anne-Marie) went up Jim Donnelly, and down Spike Jones/Timm.

Brian’s photos, mostly of riding up the JDT:

Back to my camera:

A couple from Amiel:

… then hung out waiting for finishers:

Our pay-off would be the 100 mile/km stares and smiles…

Julie:

Julie’s ride report: Adventure at the Hard Coe're 100 - Metric version

She had the inverse of the common Garmin Blues; her track was only the last mile or so: Tiny bit of Hard Coe're Metric after Garmin died, dark - no light

Paul:

His story and track: Hard Coere Bailput

Brian and Janet:

Chris :

Nice old Stumpjumper!

As mentioned in Paul’s report, there was some confusion around Mississippi Lake when Paul became separated from Roy and Liehann. They took time to look for Paul and by the time they reached Pacheco Camp, they felt they were too far behind schedule to continue. Roy’s track.

The other big effort which came up short was Marco. His story and track: 2013 "Hard COEre 90" Part 1 & 2013 "Hard COEre 90" Part 2

This was a very fun evening and the riders appreciated having a bit of a crowd greet them at the end. Our little ride wasn’t much a test of my fitness but, see, my injury was a broken clavicle. While the bone was healed, the area was tender and unhappy with pressure from the backpack strap but I learned it now would tolerate a light pack…

Start at Hunting Hollow » Jim Donnelly Trail » Steer Ridge Road » Jim2Jones Trail » Spike Jones Trail » Timm Trail » Spike Jones Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking.  8.33 / 1:25 / 2:27 / 1,446'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

Skyline35

• Mudders
Re: Henry Coe State Park October 19, 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Return to Coe, Part II

October 19, 2013, today I would try one of my standard Coe rides, Hunting Hollow to the Coit Lake/Pacheco Creek area (what I call MyCoe). I was by myself so if the backpack hurt too much, I would turn back.

I distributed some of the contents to the bike frame and my pockets but still this was the most weight I’d carried so far. My camera is carried in a case hanging off the sternum strap; it’s heavy. And essential, right? So here are photos from my day…

The old ranch house at Willson Camp such as it is these days:

Wagon Road & Rattlesnake Trail, they are grading Wagon Road yet again this year!

Some one has begun a "pilot bench" (left)—I believe that's what you call it—for a new alignment of the Fish & Game Trail:

(Pilot bench on the right in the last picture.)

Coit Lake looking lush these days:

…"Lush", that's something no one is accusing Hoover Lake of being!

What It Was Like Out There™:

Rose Dam Trail

On my way to Phoneline, I left a message to a couple folks attempting the Coe 100 on that day:

Pacheco Ridge Road

On to Phoneline Trail. For all my efforts to clean up that trail for the Coe 100, only 2 riders ever rode on it Oct 5. Today I flew down it. The Chamise field took hours to clear and only 2½ seconds to zip through (now).

Back up the hill to descend the recently redacted Ridge Trail:

An Adopt-A-Trail which was dropped from the 2013 version of the official Coe map.

I was tired but the shoulder was doing okay. It was 3:15pm and I was at Pacheco Camp to rest and replenish my water. The day was warm—the Pacheco Camp thermometer read 84º (after tapping the glass and accounting for the bent needle)—and I had consumed all my water. There is a working water hose there but it is recommended that the water be purified or filtered before drinking. Lately we have been using a large, seafoam green Rubbermaid tub to fill and filter out of. I flipped it over into position to use and found a Black Widow spider in it! It wouldn’t move so I repositioned so it was away from me and got to work. (The tub is about 5 feet long, intended for a water trough at a spring.)

At 3:30 I have the happy surprise of Meí showing up. She’s full of energy and amazingly doesn’t even need water. We chat while she has a bite or two of a burrito:

…and she leaves a note for Mr. Mud who is behind her on the trail:

Meí was riding without a backpack so I had to get a photo of her bike to see how she stowed things:

It was a quick 10 – 15 minute stop but for her, probably longer than she wanted. I was rejuvenated and my 2 hour ride back to the parking lot wasn’t too bad. Happily the fallen trees have been removed from Live Oak Spring Trail but there was a newly fallen tree on Grapevine. I’m not nearly recovered but the day went pretty well.

Meí’s track and her story.

MrMud’s track and his story.

Start at Hunting Hollow » Hunting Hollow Road » Lyman Willson Ridge Trail » Bowl Trail » Willson Camp » Wagon Road » Wasno Pond Trail » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » Coit Lake Perimeter Trail » Coit Road » Willow Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Ridge Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (lower) » Wagon Road » Deer Logic Trail » Grizzly Gulch Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking.  32.80 / 5:22 / 9:27 / 5,455'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
Hi Charlie, I missed your first report (sorry, did not do forum surfing for a long time), but caught this new one.  Thank you so much for the COE 100 rock art!!! As usual, I can't thank you enough for the cleared Phoneline Trail (and many other trails at Coe, really)!

I laughed at the sorry state of Hoover Lake.

You were the only human being I talked to on the day other than Mr. Mud. You are special!

Inch by inch, I will get there.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »
Just noticed this as well.  Do not know how I missed it.
Nice Trip Report.
Here's to sweat in your eye