Author Topic: Katie's Doing Well at U.C.S.B.  (Read 74961 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Katie's Doing Well at U.C.S.B.
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
Your girls are soldiers.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
I was pretty bummed that Katie couldn't join us at all on the PCT this summer. She did he own fantastic trip to Malaysia and Thailand (and is still blogging about it). But it didn't leave any time for trips with us.

We partially made up for it though with a father/daughter backpack into the Emigrant Wilderness these last few days (U.C.S.B. doesn't start until late this month). It actually felt a little odd to be hiking without Tricia at first, but then we settled in to a great routine and I remembered how well I like this wonderful daughter too:

There was a new dusting of snow as we got started (it is, after all, almost Pinnacles season already):

Three miles into the back country, proving that one has to mind one's manners no matter where they are, we ran into this character (most of you will not know who it is, but Rob certainly will - he's a climbing friend who lives one mile from us):

In Whiteside Meadow:

East Flange Rock from Upper Relief Valley:

Salt Lick Meadow:

First night's campsite in Spring Meadow:

The next morning:

At Deer Lake:

We call this "simul-fetching:"

In mid shake:

Last morning:

I realized on this trip what  tough life I really have. It seems that every time I "do stuff" (backpacking in this case), I want to do more of it. We got back and all I could think about was how to get back into the Emigrant before the snow flies. And then I went climbing today (and I can't wait to get up there to redpoint this one route).

Tough life.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »

I know who that dude is. 8)

Yeah, your life is a real sh&t sandwich.
Just remember to take little bites and it won't seem so rank  :yesnod: :lol: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
Nice camp site!

It was good to see the girls last weekend. Cool that you got out there.

Small Wilderness seeing the Great Miwok (and Blonde Miwok) out there!

JC, any interest in going to climb on East Flange?
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
Speaking of shit sandwiches, I think it damn near scared the crap out of Tim when, as he was stopping on the trail to say hello to two "strangers," I called out "damn Tim, they'll let anybody out here."

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2016, 05:26:35 AM »
We partially made up for it though with a father/daughter backpack into the Emigrant Wilderness these last few days (U.C.S.B. doesn't start until late this month). It actually felt a little odd to be hiking without Tricia at first, but then we settled in to a great routine and I remembered how well I like this wonderful daughter too:

So cool.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2016, 07:30:40 AM »
Speaking of shit sandwiches, I think it damn near scared the crap out of Tim when, as he was stopping on the trail to say hello to two "strangers," I called out "damn Tim, they'll let anybody out here."

LOL, well the last time he was out there he was running around naked and scared the crap out of some fisherman. So, fair play and all that...  :)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
I got this text from her this morning:

"I GOT INTO THE PROFESSIONAL WRITING MINOR!!!!"

She's doing pretty well in her Political Science major, she recently decided to try adding this minor, and she thinks she'll finish in June!

She's making us pretty proud.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
We're already proud, this just means she'll be able to tell us about it, right? ;) :)

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
Congrats Katie, proud Dad and Mom!

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »

She's doing pretty well in her Political Science major, she recently decided to try adding this minor, and she thinks she'll finish in June!

That is pretty cool.

I may finish in June as well.

My last climb (#420) will be Pass the Doobie Scooby on Thai Stick Pinnacle.  :yesnod: :lol: :thumbup: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2016, 06:51:08 AM »
awesome.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
I'm at Katie's house now, packing for a three day backpack in the San Rafael Wilderness starting tomorrow. She looks great. I can't believe she's already in the second week of the last quarter of her senior year.

I shuttle drove for the Dawson's on Sunday; After I drove around, I hiked out to and then along the PCT to join them at Whitewater River (the whole area they're in now is due west of Joshua Tree, starting at about a 45 minute drive from Hidden Valley Campground). Some of my fondest PCT hiking with both daughters was in that area, basically the second half of this trip:

http://www.mudncrud.com/forums/index.php?topic=1059.0

We then climbed at Joshua Tree for two days (Laura and I got totally shut down on a "5.10a" face; Steve's shoulder hurt and he didn't try to climb anything that hard).

More shuttle driving followed; Dawson's are right now on day two of a three day backpack designed to take them from the desert east of the San Gorgonio massif up onto it and then to Big Bear Lake. I hiked in with them part of the way yesterday.

Tonight is the Excursion Club slideshow. As requested, it consists of about 100 of my best climbing slides. I snuck in about 30 of my favorite Katie photos too, and a few of a daughter of our good friends the Klatts; she's not only here at U.C.S.B., but is now an Excursion leader too. "They" say that turnout will be big. It's interesting though; in spite of rumors that some Excursion kids will join the backpack, no-one's committed. Katie says that that's normal; kids rarely commit to any adventure (especially for the weekend) until the last second.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
Would have never guessed she was a Senior.  Wow, time fly's.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »

Have fun with your slide show.
I have a dirt bike and snurfing (what we called snowboarding before it was a thing) slideshow if you ever need an excuse for a nap.  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :nono: :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »

Have fun with your slide show.
I have a dirt bike and snurfing (what we called snowboarding before it was a thing) slideshow if you ever need an excuse for a nap.  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :nono: :lol:

Me? Hell no. I never need an excuse for a nap.

How old were you when the video was made?

(Speaking of sleeping, I'm hanging out right now, having had breakfast and coffee an hour ago, waiting for the college kids to wake up so we can get going.)

Standing room only last night for the slide show (35 kids?). Katie has sure chosen to associate herself with good people down here.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
And where did you "snurf" John, and on what sliding device? (I presume it wasn't on "snowboards.")

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
And where did you "snurf" John, and on what sliding device? (I presume it wasn't on "snowboards.")

I started in Akron at the local sledding hill at around the same age (14).

The original boards were pretty flimsy and if you weren't careful you could snap one by pulling up on the leash too hard.

I can't believe they are making them again. https://www.snurferboards.com/

When I moved to KY at 16 we couldn't find any snurfers at the stores so we bought some cheap water skis and modified those. Eventually Burton came out with something similar that had two metal runners, rubber straps for your feet and a leash. I wish I still had that old board - it would be a collector's item now. I still have my plastic Sims board.

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
It is amazing what you can find online.
This is the exact model board I had.
Those rubber no-release bindings were excellent for twisting the crap out of your knees when you wiped out  :nono: :eeeek:

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »

Those rubber no-release bindings were excellent for twisting the crap out of your knees when you wiped out  :nono: :eeeek:

Reminds me of the jumping shoes that came out when we were kids in the '60s. A top plate and a bottom plate connected by springs. They strapped to your shoes and let you jump high (spring-assisted). No support of any kind though, so any slight off-angle landing would twist them off your shoes and twist the crap out of your ankle too.

Unlike "snurfs," the kiddie jumping things did not go further.