May 27, 2017, 05:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For weather forecast for Pinnacles, click here.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: Katie's Doing Well at U.C.S.B.  (Read 43565 times)
JC w KC redux
AgentOrange

my density has brought me to you...

« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

The easiest way for me to determine what is where on that map is by Lake Cachuma (one drives right by it on the way to the usual trailheads). My recollection is that there's a fair amount of granite in the higher reaches of the area (at least I'm fairly sure it's granite - I haven't studied it but it looked and felt that way). I was wondering whether the purple on the map was granitic rock (maybe older rock - country rock if I'm using that phrase correctly - that was uplifted along with everything else nearby).

And, although I've never mentioned this to you, I did take general education level geology while at U.C.S.B. I especially enjoyed the field study portions of the class. I have no memory of who my professor was though (but if she's retired now, it may well have been professor Atwater).

Nice. If there is granitic rock in the area it is likely intrusive rock that migrated up into the sedimentary country rock.
Continued uplift along with weathering and erosion uncovered it. 
I'll see if I can figure it out when I get some more time Big Grin
clink
Pin Heads

« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

Continued uplift along with weathering

Good add space.

Causing trouble when not climbing.
Brad Young
Grand Master

« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »

If there is granitic rock in the area it is likely intrusive rock that migrated up into the sedimentary country rock.

So which would be the older rock (if the rock up high is granite), the granite or the sandstone(s)?
JC w KC redux
AgentOrange

« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »

I was wondering whether the purple on the map was granitic rock

Haven't been able to excavate any files. I found some references to the quads but they are only available at the libraries - UCSC and Stanford.

I will guess that the red on that map is granitic and the purple is probably metamorphic. The state geologic map uses those conventions.
They use pink for volcanic, red for plutonic, blue, green and purple for metamorphic. Unfortunately there are no standard colors for geologic maps.
JC w KC redux
AgentOrange

« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »

So which would be the older rock (if the rock up high is granite), the granite or the sandstone(s)?

The country rock is always older. It had to be there first in order for the granite to intrude.
The sedimentary rocks would also typically be much softer than the granite and so they would wear away quicker leaving the granite sticking up.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: