Author Topic: Close Call on the West Side  (Read 4513 times)

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
Close Call on the West Side
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
We nearly lost the West Side (at least!) today.  I went out late, after two, just to poke around with old partner Chip Kosty.  The place was packed with mostly hikers and families.  I peeled off the trail and went up by Elephant Rock.  Chip came up a bit later.  Suddenly, smoke boiled up the canyon.  We got ready to run for our lives and then the smoke thinned.  A few minutes saw it disappear completely.  I was up by the chimney.  Chip was down below and went to check out the burn. 

I came down and found rangers and hikers grouped around the base of the Shepherd where that one bolt 5.6 starts.  There was a burned patch of grass about 10' by 20' in size and scorched oaks to the side.  Apparently kids smoking something caused the blaze.  Climbers on the Passion Play wall put it out with water bottles and dirt.  I don't know who they are, but those folks deserve medals and lifetime passes to the Pinns.  Official response was excellent.  Several rangers were on the scene and two fire-bombers circled above.  A CDF engine passed us as we headed out.  All the extra help was unneeded, but they were ready for bear.  Please post any extra news your discover. 

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Re: Close Call on the West Side
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:18:43 PM »
wow. yeah, epic!

So dry right now.

That little spot gets a lot of hiker traffic thinking that creeklet is the 'caves'.

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
Who ever it was they definitely saved the day.
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
No kidding, in these dry conditions they must had attack the fire with everything they could think of. I would say they saved the Monument and we need to give them a parade and picnic. No barbecue until we get a boatload of rain. Names and the story definitely on a plaque! Faces carved in the Crowley Towers is too much. Although mungeclimber might like rapping off with a jackhammer and dynamite. Hang on to your hats!

Waldo, you almost became a rotisserie on elephant rock. Not good.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
WOT?!?!?!

TOP DOWN AT PINNACLES!!!

HOW DARE YOU?!!!

I DEMAND SATISFACTION, GOOD SIR!

A stance off at 10 moves.

lol

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
I'd much rather take my chances well up the Elephant than thrashing through the bushes in the gully!  Imagine being up by Citadel if something gets going!

P.S.  Munge likes dynamite?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
I think he has plans to use explosives to exfoliate the entire face of Half Dome and put up the New NW.Face. I know this because he used my hat for 7years when I wasn't climbing.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
Mungie= Top down

It's okay buddy, as long at the finished product is worthy.
I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
no one has pics of me on that side!!!

;D

AndrewPinn

• LoadStone Lovers
  • Why not hike with piss colored glasses on?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
Hello,
I'm the climber from Passion Play wall that ran to help the fire. My name's Andrew and my partner that day was River. I'll explain everything from my perspective.
River was on the second lead of his life, Passion Play. As he came near the anchor, I looked back after smelling burning. I asked him to look back and he saw flames rise about 8 to 12 feet. I told him to hook himself up so he was safe and then I immediately ran over with a jug of water and a sweatshirt. When I got there, 2 older men and 2 young boys were kicking sand at the flames. The older gentlemen were using tree branches to smack the flames. I told them to stop of course and to throw dirt on the flames instead, as they were really only fanning the fire. I poured my water to put out everything on the trail side of it and told the boys to fill the jug with sand and create a barrier on the ground to prevent spreading. They did so as I slapped down the flames and the others used dirt for containment as well.
Soon, many hikers came. At this point, we had taken care of the larger flames and really what was left were embers and coals. A nice couple came by and they were running to the creek at Passion Play, filling of water bottles and giving them to me to throw on the embers. The original family left and most hikers did as well, but this couple stayed until the rangers showed up and took out information.
It really wasn't a huge fire, but it certainly helped that there were plenty on people around, willing to aid however possible.
Thank you for your nice words of medals, but it wasn't just me at all. It was really a team effort and I thank all the hikers that gave up their water, and the couple that kept refilling bottles for me.

P.S. The parade sounds nice though  ;D

-Andrew
There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers. I intend to be both.

AndrewPinn

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
Here is a photo my buddy, River, took from on top Passion Play.
The second is me shaking the hand of a ranger, but that's only because River is silly and thought it would be funny. The only actually funny part about it is my face.

-Andrew

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
Funny post Andrew - thanks for posting and for your efforts.
Are the people I see running away in the first pic the offenders?

I have another question for you - this one is climbing related. When River led Passion Play did he stay in the black streak or did he veer right after the first bolt toward the second bolt which sits to the right of the streak?

Keep up the good work!
One wheel shy of normal

AndrewPinn

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
No, they were the first family there when I arrived.

He stayed it the black streak. I've lead it before and went to the right of the bulge. I'd say staying in the streak is a better climb though.

Thank you!

-Andrew

MUCCI

• Mudders
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
Trying to burn down the wolf, BASTARDS!

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
good pictures and thank you for taking the lead. 

Still a hero.

I think it will be difficult for someone to beat that as a first post!

Welcome to the Forum and

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
Oh, and tell River we said thank you for clipping himself off mid lead and hanging out until you came back.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
No, they were the first family there when I arrived.

He stayed it the black streak. I've lead it before and went to the right of the bulge. I'd say staying in the streak is a better climb though.

Thank you!

-Andrew

Nice - I was just curious since I have seen folks deviate from the black streak - I think the second bolt leads people off route - and you are right - it is better in and is supposed to stay in the streak - I understand this type of bolt "deviation" now that I've done some stance bolting. Of course I always tell beginning leaders there are no rules when climbing a route - especially when contemplating a leader fall.

I agree with Mud re a great first post.
One wheel shy of normal

AndrewPinn

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Well thank you all! River was a good sport about sitting there while I was gone, but to be honest this wasn't the first time I had left him stranded, so he knows the deal.  ;)
I'm glad to have found this forum and site, seeing as I go to the Pinnacles often. As a matter of fact, I'll be there again tomorrow and Sunday, but I've been going for years. Thanks for the praise from such a cool community.

-Andrew

Uncle Stinky

• Mudders
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »
Might see you there Sunday- a couple of old guys-  old, short, fat and white and a tall skinny Asian.  Cool what you did with the fire. 

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks for your efforts and welcome!