Author Topic: Crater Lake over the holidays  (Read 5092 times)

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
Crater Lake over the holidays
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
Long time, no mud.  I've been recovering from spinal surgery for the past nine months.  After three months my doctor said it was OK to start backpacking and gentle cycling, so I've been doing a lot of hiking and riding.

This winter has been pretty disappointing snow-wise until recently, so over the holidays I went to southern Oregon and went for a snowshoe trip around the entirety of Crater Lake.  The park road around the lake is 33 miles, and in the winter most of it is closed and unplowed (the 3 miles between park HQ and Rim Village is usually plowed and open though).

I started bright and early on Dec. 28th from Rim Village, about 7100'.

The first 7 miles were pretty easy because of its popularity (trail broken and consolidated snow).  Southern OR had been having a bit of a drought as well, just not as bad as CA.

Wizard Island

Mt. Shasta, McLoughlin, Union (all Cascade volcanoes)

In places the snow was melted or windblown enough that the road showed through.

Near the junction with the north access road there were snowmobile tracks -- the 'bilers are allowed up to the park road but no further.

Mt. Thielson (right) and some other volcanoes

After 11 miles I stopped at Cleetwood Cove and camped.  In the summer there is a trail down to the lake where the NPS runs boat tours.

(continued on next post)

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
Re: Crater Lake over the holidays
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
Next morning I started early and headed down around the eastern part of the lake.  It was harder going because I often had to break trail, or there was an icy crust that I would sometimes punch through.  In other places there were spots where the road was exposed.

The scenery was pretty awesome though.

I decided to stop and camp a bit south of Pumice Castle, about 8.5 miles for the day.

Pumice Castle (center right)

After pitching the tent I noticed what looked like a frozen waterfall on a north-facing exposure to the southwest.

It was a warmer night, and I don't think it got below freezing.  A group of three came snowshoeing up from the other direction and camped across the way.  They seemed pretty tired.

(continued on next post)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
Hey rhyang - that is so weird - I was just thinking about you the other weekend wondering where you've been - I remember you mentioning surgery some time back. Glad you are recovering and getting back out. We've been to Crater once a few years ago and did a nice hike - probably the "clear" one you mentioned.

One wheel shy of normal

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
The last day was the most tiring.  It was warmer, so the snow softened earlier, and I covered more distance.

Still, I hadn't realized there were ice climbs in the area.  Here are a few below the road past the Dutton Cliffs.  The area can apparently be an avalanche hazard at times.

There were several right next to the road, too.

There were not as many views, so the last stretch felt a bit grueling.

Southern Oregon

The trek from camp to park HQ turned out to be about 10.6 miles.  From there I decided to snowshoe the last three miles alongside the road just for completeness :) but could just as well have hitched a ride back to my car at Rim Village. 

After three long days and 33 miles on snowshoes I was ready for pizza, and headed down to Shady Cove where a warm shower and motel room awaited.

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Hey rhyang - that is so weird - I was just thinking about you the other weekend wondering where you've been - I remember you mentioning surgery some time back. Glad you are recovering and getting back out. We've been to Crater once a few years ago and did a nice hike - probably the "clear" one you mentioned.

That is awesome !  The last time I'd been to Crater Lake was in the late 90's or so, during the summer.  I understand they just got two feet of new snow, so the skiing is probably better now.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »
Very nice. I've never been to Crater Lake. In fact, I've never really paid all that much attention to it. But your photos are wonderful. So I looked it up: The PCT goes through there. Now I'm looking forward to that section even more.

P.S. it's bad to show ice climbing on this forum - you'll drive Munge bonkers thinking about it  ;D

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:17:46 AM »
Very nice. I've never been to Crater Lake. In fact, I've never really paid all that much attention to it. But your photos are wonderful. So I looked it up: The PCT goes through there. Now I'm looking forward to that section even more.

P.S. it's bad to show ice climbing on this forum - you'll drive Munge bonkers thinking about it  ;D

Thanks Brad.  May I suggest avoiding July -- the skeeters seem to be very friendly in the south Cascades then :)

I hadn't imagined ice climbing in the area before, but the long approaches would probably make it less attractive to most folks. Help would be a long way off in case of an accident.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
Hey Rob! Thanks for sharing.....haven't been up there since I was in diapers and I definitely need to make it back. Really good to see you getting out again.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

rhyang

• Llama Dangler
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:53:31 AM »
Hey Rob! Thanks for sharing.....haven't been up there since I was in diapers and I definitely need to make it back. Really good to see you getting out again.

Thanks Marc.  Last summer/fall I managed to go backpacking in the Emigrant (twice), the Trinity Alps, Lassen and Mineral King.  Rode my MTB up at Boggs Mtn.  Scrambled up a few Sierra peaks.  Wish I'd ridden up in Tahoe some, but did not get around to it.  Can't really complain.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:13:11 AM »
Agreed and sounds like a great summer
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

Uncle Stinky

• Mudders
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29:10 AM »
Sounds like you are healing up well, and it gives you a chance to do some different things.  Thanks for the TR.