Author Topic: Chasing The Sisters  (Read 2686 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Chasing The Sisters
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
Met a nice young couple from Santa Ynez Valley today on the east side. When I left they were slabbin' it up Sisters style - shout out to Jeff and Heather - encouraging you guys to post up after your weekend...
One wheel shy of normal

verve825

• LoadStone Lovers
Re: Chasing The Sisters
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
Greetings, JC~

It was superb to meet you on Friday, and I was stoked to see your post here! (Not, perhaps, as stoked as I was to be called "young" in your post- I was grumbling under my breath all weekend about being 42 and suffering from a litany of lingering injuries, but anyway...)

In any event, we had a superb time over the three days we were there- I'd somehow (thankfully?) forgotten over the past twenty years about the, uh, "sublime" pleasures of climbing at the Pinns, and my girlfriend Heather (being an eager and happily suggestible novice) simply didn't know better- a splendid recipe for scaring ourselves senseless!

What with the perfect weather and a perverse capacity for hiking a long way for short climbs, we managed to get up a number of moderate Pinns classics: Burgundy Dome- Rappel Route, The Sponge- Regular Route and Holes, Photog’s Delight, The Cone, The Unmentionable, The Anvil, Sinbad, Plumber's Crack, Ordeal, The Flatiron (the 5.3 to the right of Burton's), Mushroom Boulder, and First Sister- Center Route and Twisted Sister. By the way, JC- many thanks for the tip on the latter: a very fine route, indeed.

And, while I know I will likely be banned forever from the forums for employing such a scurrilous phrase, the rock on the Regular Route on The Sponge reminded me of excellent, weathered alpine granite- quel horreur! (Seriously, if that line were 1000 feet long, it would be among the most classic routes in North America, at any grade.)

The campground was full of fun, as well: we were waked up numerous times by a very brazen pair of raccoons, and also, at about 3am on Sunday morning, by a drunken lout stumbling through our site and trying to find his tent. Me, mostly asleep: "What are you doing out there?" Him: "Lookin' for my tent..." Me: "It's not here." Him: "That's one way to look at it." I had to give the poor sap credit there...

For some strange reason, we didn't take many photos, but we did see a condor hanging out on a pinnacle as we ambled back late-ish on Sunday afternoon- despite having grown up on the Central Coast, this was the first time I'd ever seen one in the wild. Which sighting, perhaps, inspired us to finish our trip with a jaunt up the Cone.

In amazing light as the sun was setting, Heather grabbed the sharp end for her first lead of any kind, ever, and cruised it in exquisite style- truly inspiring.

You mentioned rebolting some "salad"-y routes, JC (sincere thanks to you and everyone else for your rebolting efforts, by the way), and I could think of nothing but baby escarole as I padded up to the top- the moss on the top half of The Cone looked just like it in the near-dark...

All in all, it was an extraordinary weekend- much as it makes me shake my head, I'm looking forward to getting back up there as soon as possible. Or, as someone else here wrote: "I can't recommend the route, but it's a must-do." Indeed. 

I look forward to seeing you- and the rest of the local Pinns crew- next time we're in that neck o' the woods...

Onward and upward with warm regards,

Jeff (and Heather)

PS: I suspect this is a well-known commodity in these parts, but El Huarache King in King City? Five star burritos, astonishingly great service, and ice-cold beer: highly recommended. 

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
duly noted on the burritos, many thx!

Gotta find out who wrote "I can't recommend the route, but it's a must-do"

good quote
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum, thanks for the tip and yes your banned.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »

...the Regular Route on The Sponge reminded me of excellent, weathered alpine granite- quel horreur! (Seriously, if that line were 1000 feet long, it would be among the most classic routes in North America, at any grade.

Quite true. Good observation. Too bad you're banned now  ;D

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Being banned is only momentary, because those banning you will screw up and be in self inflicted banishment themselves soon enough. Bunch of two timing cheaters.
You covered a lot of territory, was that in 2 days?
I love Pinnacles.  :)
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
Nice post Jeff. You had me laughing a few times. I enjoyed meeting you two too. If I hadn't been on a mission, I probably would have hung out some more. Your list of climbs includes many of my early onsights and the Flatiron Reg Rte was my first lead ever. Rap Rte on Burgundy was my first 7. Sounds like you probably saw a condor near Condor Crags. Climbs there and on the Fingers are really cool - if you're back up that way after the closures lift. Wanna climb some salad? Try Thundering Herd and Triple X on the west side and Steve's Folly on the east - all recently rebolted. Toog's Terror has a nice stretch of veg too but no bolts.

Here is some inspiration to get more fiber in your diet...

Thundering Herd

Triple X

Steve's Folly pitch 1 - Gear to 1 1/2 inches

Toog's Terror

Munge's favorite part of Toog's

Seldom Seen Pinnacle - gear to 3 1/2 inches

Case Pinnacle - gear to 3 inches

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
Forgot to say congrats to heather for stepping out. The Cone has some nice exposure for a beginner!
Now she's an honorary conehead :)
One wheel shy of normal