Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park April 19 & 23, 2014  (Read 3433 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park April 19 & 23, 2014
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
Henry Coe State Park April 19, 2014

Word around the campfire is that the California Conservation Corp crew cleared some roads at Mississippi Lake. March 15th I had seen them working on White Tank Spring Road…

…which seemed to me to be a waste of resources but clearing the Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road is, I think, a very worthwhile project. It was the most feral bit of the Hard COEre 100km route. I was very curious to go see for myself.

Please excuse the poor quality of this one. My camera doesn't zoom well. I'm just proud that I crept-up on these turtles without spooking them off into the water:

The potential for a great photo is there.

That was Rodeo Pond. Soon afterwards, while resting at the Wagon & Crest intersection, Ken fka Orange Voodoo Guy rode up. We talked and I told him my plans. He said he had been out to Mississippi Lake and yes, they had cleared it all up. We rode Wagon » Fish & Game (Ken's first time) » Willow Ridge Road together then Ken turned off on Cross Canyon.

I improved my time on Rose Dam Trail and then made the left-hand turn to go up the beautiful Pacheco Creek valley:

In the beauty, there are some hazards:

Years ago Roy broke his Trek's frame there.

So here is a view of Mississippi Lake I hadn't seen before; that is from the Mississippi Queen Trail which I found and rode for the first time:

There actually was a fairly fresh bike track on it which was both helpful and mysterious since the trail isn't well known...who could be that rider?

The stories were true, the Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road was cleared wide enough to drive around:

This section is a non-event now.

Pedaling up from the lake, I spotted this Horned Lizard on Willow Ridge Road only because he moved. He's so well camouflaged:

As I was putting away my camera, 3 guys walked up. They had orienteered overnight, cross-country to Mississippi Lake. Amazing! They were tired and were just going to walk the normal roads and trails to get back to Park HQ.

Another part of my mission today was to scope-out Heritage Trail for possible trailwork. (It's part of the Hard COEre 100 route.) It would be impossible to fully brush the length of the trail but there are a few choke points which if cleared would help a lot. There's one of them:

That photo was after cutting back some brush.

Start at Hunting Hollow » Hunting Hollow Road » Lyman Willson Ridge Trail » Bowl Trail » Willson Camp » Wagon Road » Wasno Pond Trail » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » Willow Ridge Road » White Tank Spring Road » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Mississippi Queen Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road » Willow Ridge Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Heritage Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (upper) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Jackson Road » Jackson Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 40.30/6:51/10:58/6,239'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Henry Coe State Park April 19, 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
Great shots
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park April 23, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
Following up on my intentions to improve the Heritage Trail, Bruce B. and I rode out there to work on it. I forgot my camera so today's photos are from Bruce's phone.

Near the Pacheco Ridge Road end of Heritage, right after cresting the highest knoll, the trail was completely grown over. Users just had to bash through Chamise, spiky Ceanothus, and Poison Oak.  We spent about an hour and a half on it and cleared a nice passage.

The before photo from last Saturday:

Annnnnnnd the after photo:

We thought the rest of the trail is good enough and didn't do anymore work (we were out of time anyway). Couple spot are confusing but hey, that the fun of it...you look around and figure it out.

My aspiration was to fix-up the Heritage Trail before the 2014 Hard COEre 100 attempts began but turns out we were too late, someone has already turned in a 100km ride with a record time!

Here's a few photos of our ride…

Cattle Duster Trail

Hoover Airstrip

Pacheco Creek Trail

Pacheco Creek Trail

Jackson Road

Bruce's track
Bruce's photo set

Park at Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek entrance » Coit Road » Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail » Rock Tower Trail » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Cross Canyon Trail » Willow Ridge Road » White Tank Spring Road » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Heritage Trail - ad hoc trailwork. Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (upper) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Jackson Road » Jackson Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 37.70/5:58/10:15/6,572'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Henry Coe State Park April 19 & 23, 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
That guy killed the 100K and it sounds like he was headed out to do it again.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Re: Henry Coe State Park April 19 & 23, 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Hope he gets the KOM this time when he returns.

Hey Skyline35, thanks for the photos, stories, and the work! I cannot believe how green Coe is right now!!!

Inch by inch, I will get there.