Author Topic: Historic  (Read 222359 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Historic
« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2022, 05:52:35 PM »

60? I thought he was turning 70.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #281 on: April 28, 2022, 07:11:21 PM »
No, Brad turns 70.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »

So we just discovered tick in my back. Pretty red and swollen. Found a lighter in the room we are staying in and Claire twisted, burned and pulled on the thing to no avail. I showed her the pic of Noal knifing Brad and then she got the head out with my knife and suggested that I call her Nurse Claire.

Even though she said that I was a good patient during the procedure, I was actually quite offended when she asked me to roll onto my stomach instead of onto my abs.  :( 

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2022, 05:29:28 AM »
As we've shown: invalid without photos.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Seventeen year old Alex Dawson placed a bolt at Pinnacles on lead today. I believe this makes him the youngest person in Pinnacles climbing history to do this.

It was a very good bolt too. Very good rock, nicely placed.

I thought that clunk was already drilling bolts by that age - or before he could walk...tap tap tap...
One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2022, 04:53:13 PM »
Speaking of bolts, Jack Holmgren dropped by my house early on Sunday and I cooked him breakfast. We visited for several hours and had a great time discussing various Pinnacles matters. At the end of our talk he bequeathed me his bolt kit, the whole shebang. Some of it is useful booty; some is horrifyingly historic. Among the useful items are virgin Metolius hangers, the baked enamel kind: 4 huge anchor/rappel hangers and six regulars. He also had several dozen five-piece Rawls of various lengths. These are likely outmoded. There are a dozen SMC thick (as opposed to death) hangers (camo-painted by Jack) and still usable in my view. There are numerous Stars and compression bolts (some 1/4" and some  5/16th") that will give everyone the shivers. He also gave me his itty-bitty drill, the one he could hold with a finger and a thumb while using other fingers to grip a hold while pounding. The other drills? Ah, the drills. I'd love to share the old stuff with all you mudders around some future campfire. If you're into extreme piercings, I've got you covered.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »
I hope that Bob's post sends some of the newer Masters/Mistresses of Mud scrambling to the guidebook's first ascent section. Calling Jack a legend? It barely begins to cover it. Among so much more, Jack did the FA of Lava Falls. All on stance.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
Wow!  I would love to see those drills in person or photos. Maybe in the fall the campfire thing can happen again.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »

Wow!  I would love to see those drills in person or photos. Maybe in the fall the campfire thing can happen again.

That autumn thing was P.C.A.D.  The Masters of Mud Rendezvous was always in the spring. But hell, I'd be into a Masters of Mud Rendezvous in October!

And bring Jack, not just his old gear.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »
I am for that too.  Does not have to be a super huge event but just get a group site and hangout.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2022, 05:26:40 AM »

What Noal said.

Cool Waldo! There must be an appropriate line to use Jack’s gear on and call it “Useful Booty”.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2022, 06:15:23 AM »
What Noal said.

Cool Waldo! There must be an appropriate line to use Jack’s gear on and call it “Useful Booty”.

It might even be an inappropriate line.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #292 on: May 04, 2022, 11:28:07 AM »
 What were the original names of the routes you and Jack established at Pinnacles?

Wasn’t Condor Condiment originally called Teletubbies Unite?

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #293 on: May 07, 2022, 06:33:26 PM »
What were the original names of the routes you and Jack established at Pinnacles?

Wasn’t Condor Condiment originally called Teletubbies Unite?
Clink, no Teletubbies, though Jack referred to the belay on pitch 2 as the Condor Club in honor of Carol Soda, of whom the stance reminded him.