Author Topic: Pinnacles Climbing: 30 Years and Counting  (Read 313951 times)

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Pinnacles Climbing: 30 Years and Counting
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
"Hey, honey, did you pack your climbing shoes? Yeah? Both of them?")

surprisingly enough yes.  They even matched.
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
surprisingly enough yes.  They even matched.

Mudworm must have put L & R on them and then tied them together.
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
how did you know?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
For those of us who don't live locally, Pinnacles season usually starts with the cooler temperatures of autumn. Over the last few years this has coincided nicely with the Climber Appreciation/Trails Work weekend.

Since that weekend is now upon us, my 2015/2016 Pinnacles season starts tomorrow!

Among many parts of the season I'm looking forward to, a big highlight is the people. There are climbing friends who I just don't see enough, except at Pinnacles during this season. Nelkins, are you reading this? How about you Gavin? I hope to see Bob this weekend. Crux, will you be visiting our great park much these coming months? It seems like I never see Mr. Mud anymore, except at Pinnacles. Yep, I'm really looking forward to hanging with my "mud" friends this year (I think that the only "season" I look forward to more than Pinnacles season is "PCT" season).

To start 2015/2016, I'll update my "statistics:"

- At present I'm at 914 Pinnacles routes climbed in good style.

- There are now two routes "easier than 5.10" that I have not yet done (both are new routes, one's 5.8 and the other 5.6). I expect that I'll climb both of these this coming Sunday, and thus get "back in status" of having climbed every route at Pinns easier than 5.10.

I've got lots of other stuff to do to too. The "schedule" includes leading several 5.10s and 5.11s that I haven't yet done (usually the ones I haven't yet done are either hard or scary - or both). Another high priority this season is working over the guidebook maps. I'm hoping to edit/tweak/improve these enough that they are completely ready to go if/when we decide (in a few years) to do a second edition of the book.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
I'm reading it!  Looking forward to seeing you too.  May this Pinns season be as good as the last. :guitar: Where's the 5.6 and is Bob gonna show up?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:46 PM »
The 5.6 I haven't done is Welcome Respite out at Knuckle Ridge.

And amen to this season being as good as last season was!

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
Sunday!!  (she says while picking cobwebs out of her gear)

I love what you said about the faces and the climbs - or something along those sentimental lines.  

It gave me a slideshow of my favorite combos.  

Congratulations on collecting a few decades worth. 

Hope to see you sooner than later.   8)
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

mj

• Lichen It
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
The mornings just started staying cool in the salinas valley the past week or so, guess that's the sign it's time to climb local again :)

Took a friend out last Wednesday who had never climbed at pinnacles before and had a hankering to check out costanoan.

Hope to get back out a week from Monday and get over to feather canyon.

Chances are this will be a short season for me, child #3 is due to arrive mid-December, and will herald the end of my climbing for the season (but not my climbing career).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2015, 05:46:29 AM »
Don't worry about the cobwebs, Crux. Heck, I was so "Pinnacles rusty" before this last weekend that I actually had to steer my car on the way down (normally it's so used to the drive that I just kick back and it takes me there).

MJ, nice to see that you're getting out too. A new kid is an acceptable and fantastic reason for not having a long season. According to the weather prognosticators, you may have planned the birth date well - "Hell Nino" might force a short season on all of us (it certainly happened in '97/'98). If you've got any pull on the birth date, mine's December 22, which is pretty close to mid-December (and that's worked out pretty well for me!).

Thanks to Dave, Nolan, Noal and the fabulous Cooks, I got in three new leads after our trail work last weekend. So I'm back "in status" of having done everything easier than 5.10 (until someone puts up something new).

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »
So I'm back "in status" of having done everything easier than 5.10 (until someone puts up something new).

We're here for ya buddy. We'll get through this dry spell with nothing to climb! Just hang in there.

As we speak Mud Meisters are standing by, ready to deploy.

Though, maybe not me. I'm up this weekend on SPH. If you're around, give a shout. I might be able to belay a couple pitches.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2015, 09:23:38 AM »
Oh I've got plenty to climb at Pinns still. There are at least a dozen 5.10s that I haven't done and that many or more 5.11s that I can do but haven't yet. Gavin especially has volunteered to "rope gun" routes like Verdict so that I've got a chance of redpointing them.

But I do appreciate your selflessness (and that of others too).

And about this weekend: Nolan Lamb and I are going out to the Missing Man Formation tomorrow (it's in the South Fork canyon). Nolan was a classmate of Luc's and one of his best friends. He's wanted to put up some new routes there in Luc's honor. There's a chance that Cassey and Serene may join us. We'd love to have your company; you knew Luc and you should do an FA there.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Oh wow, yeah, I'm in!!

Sending you an email now.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
In status? Haha! The new fund raiser is selling location info of routes to Brad. >:D
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »

In status? Haha! The new fund raiser is selling location info of routes to Brad. >:D

And doing so would make you a what?

It won't work. I'd rather skip over that/those routes. Nice try though.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
 ;D
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
I'm back "in status" of having done everything easier than 5.10 (until someone puts up something new).

Congrats!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

Congrats!

Thanks.

Speaking of "faces and names," one of my big and serious Pinns goals for this season is to climb more than one measly day at Pinns with Mr. Mud.

I'll likely be able to get back down there on the weekend of November 14/15, Mud. Any chance you and I could get some routes in?

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
I will have to see. There is a good chance that I will be in Wa the week of the 11th and possibly the week after.  One of those weeks might get pushed out to December.  If I was around that weekend it might only be for that Sunday.  Will let you know as I find out more.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

I will have to see. There is a good chance that I will be in Wa the week of the 11th and possibly the week after.  One of those weeks might get pushed out to December.  If I was around that weekend it might only be for that Sunday.  Will let you know as I find out more.

Do what you can do.

If that doesn't work, then how about this instead:

I'm planning on climbing at Pinns for most of the last ten days of December (weather allowing). If I was to break say, your nose in about mid-December (with your cooperation of course), you could call in sick at work for a few days and then go climbing with me. You don't use your nose for climbing do you ("your nose," not "The Nose")?

Anyway, do what you can and we'll find some days  ;D

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »
You can break The Nose, I am ok with that.  Not so much up for the nose being broken.  I think I should be available for some of those days.  Not sure how good of a partner I will be, I am fairly solid 2nd class at the moment.