Author Topic: Pinnacles Climbing: 30 Years and Counting  (Read 314755 times)

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
Re: Pinnacles Climbing: 30 Years and Counting
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
Good to know about the slings.

I'm working tomorrow morning... But I'll see if I can get the afternoon off to come find you guys. If not I'll try to schedule a time with one or both of you to head out there again.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2017, 10:06:51 AM »

I'm working tomorrow morning... But I'll see if I can get the afternoon off to come find you guys. If not I'll try to schedule a time with one or both of you to head out there again.

Hey, both of you, you're off topic - go jack one of J.C.'s threads  >:D

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
PPPHHHBRRRtttttttttttttewsssssssssss
Here's to sweat in your eye

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2017, 10:09:25 AM »

Hook up with Noal.  I most likely will not be around to much.  A chance I will be done in a couple of weeks but my stuff is always up in the air.
Here's to sweat in your eye

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
Sure thing Gavin. Just ping me when you are free. There is enough stuff in that area now to get in a decent day of climbing. All in the 10a-11a range.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »

Sure thing Gavin. Just ping me when you are free. There is enough stuff in that area now to get in a decent day of climbing. All in the 10a-11a range.

All right, since three of you are directionally challenged (you don't take DIRECTIONS from your obvious superiors), I'll jump in on subject, making these posts somewhat relevant to the thread:

Don't forget to include me in on these plans; I'd like to climb these routes, but more critically I need to document them in general (descriptions and the like). Gavin and I are already looking at plans for at least two days in May on them. It might be helpful too if Noal could join us, or go out  a day with me in May, to help me find them and get accurate details.

And PPPHHHBRRRtttttttttttttewsssssssssss to you too.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »
I recommend long slings for all of these routes.  At least for a few of the clips.

We will probably be up there tomorrow but the slab will probably be wet, it seems to take a bit longer to dry out.  Most likely not a really early start since tonight is patch night and I will be working late.

They are calling for up to half an inch of rain overnight at Pinns.
It is not raining at Pinns yet but it is steadily coming down here on the coast.
You're all wet.
I also can't believe Brad said he made plans for May. The "season" will be over by then.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

I also can't believe Brad said he made plans for May. The "season" will be over by then.

Season lengths vary.

Although I'll probably get a week of climbing in May at Red Rocks and the Owens River Gorge, anything higher in elevation will likely be snowed in still. Or, on our pass, the roads to it will still be washed out. Even climbing in Yosemite Valley will be inconvenient with Highway 120 wiped out by slides (and no projected opening date yet).

So, I might as well get in some time on Pinnacles crags that stay shady and cool, right? No-one could call me crazy for doing the drive this May?

EDIT:

And don't forget that the month of May starts the day after the Rendezvous. So if I stay over a day or two afterward, I'm climbing at Pinns in May.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
You're all wet.

Not necessarily.  Some things do not get wet or dry quickly.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #389 on: March 24, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
The "season" will be over by then.

So, you're saying we're climbing on granite cracks in the Valley? I'm in!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

So, you're saying we're climbing on granite cracks in the Valley? I'm in!

Well, like actual B.A.P.s, you'll be deciding on the drive up - go to Twain Harte or go to the Valley. It's twice the drive from here to there now (via Highways 49 and 140 through Mariposa), and there won't be an easy shuttle between the two again for a long while.

* B.A.P. is Bay Area Puke; even though you're not one, you'll face similar decisions this summer while you drive to your home up here.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
Not necessarily.  Some things do not get wet or dry quickly.

Very optimistic my friend.

I'll remember that while I am sleeping inn tomorrow morning and enjoying a big hot breakfast :lol:

This Afternoon Rain likely, mainly between 2pm and 5pm, then showers after 5pm. High near 63. South wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Tonight Showers, mainly before 8pm. Low around 44. South southeast wind 5 to 14 mph becoming north northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 63. North northwest wind 10 to 13 mph.
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
Wow, glad to see those inoculations are working against BAP syndrome!  :)

Yeah, already started thinking about how I'm going to have to go 140 on Fridays via 152 if I'm thinking about the Valley. Bivi lot time. The good news is a lot of other folks are probably thinking the same and might avoid the Valley too.

Tomorrow might be a ski day with that kind of forecast.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #393 on: March 24, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
This Afternoon Rain likely, mainly between 2pm and 5pm, then showers after 5pm. High near 63. South wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Tonight Showers, mainly before 8pm. Low around 44. South southeast wind 5 to 14 mph becoming north northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 63. North northwest wind 10 to 13 mph.

I am fully aware of that. I know how to check the weather forecast too. As you can see we are both using the internet. :prrr:

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
I recommend a hot bath to start any day.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Oh yeah!!!! Do tell more Clink.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »

Oh yeah!!!! Do tell more Clink.

Oh for sh#t sake, do not encourage him [insert barfy icon which I cannot find but which you guys use all the time].

:puke:

JC w KC redux

« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
I am fully aware of that. I know how to check the weather forecast too. As you can see we are both using the internet. :prrr:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I recommend a hot bath to start any day.

I recommend a Mud Bath  :thumbup: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
Oh for sh#t sake, do not encourage him [insert barfy icon which I cannot find but which you guys use all the time].

You have to wait for it to hurl. :puke:

Geez - you would think from all the posting today that we all just sit around posting on forums all day long  :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »

Sounds good, Noal. I'll send you emails for the Shades area and for Voyeur. My folks are in town this coming week, but I think the following week and beyond should be looking more open.

(Gotta do my part here to keep derailing Brad's thread.  ;) )