Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park June 21, 2014  (Read 5138 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park June 21, 2014
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
A solo Summer Solstice ride—not the official Solstice 10k—out and back to Bear Mountain.

Rolling out at 7:30am from Hunting Hollow, this began with a Anza/Jackson/Elderberry/Domino Pond climb. At the top I considered my options and choose the expedient Coit fireroad to Willow Ridge. What Is Was Like Out There™

There was a high, hazy overcast all day, a little deary…

Passing by Kelly Lake I could see the tire tracks left by the Solstice 10k group so when I got to the Willow Ridge Road & Cross Canyon Trail intersection, I took a break and in a few minutes the group topped out of Cross Canyon:

They stayed about 30 minutes. Sure there was the Skyline35-vortex-of-not-getting-anywhere factor but part of it was that Tom O broke his chain on the climb and they had to wait for him. The 2014 Coe Solstice riders were Paul N, Roy R, Tom O, Eric S, Kley, Fred S, and Julie K.

The Pacheco Creek Trail landscape, hazy sky, dry grass, and no flowers:

…so different from April 19, 2014:

Mississippi Lake seen from the Mississippi Queen Trail:

I waited here about 30 minutes for the Solstice 10k group but looking back at the data, they were 1:15 behind me through the Pacheco Creek basin (they had a longer route and a water filter stop at Pacheco Camp)

This burly tree trunk reminded me of a bass clef:

Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road

A few photos of the Bear Spring corral area:

On along the Bear Spring Trail (East Alternative), I'm amazed that this doesn't grow over:

The path is clear but still, your shins get shredded.

Top of Bear Mountain:

When I was here two weeks ago, I wasn't doing too good. A lot better today. Here I decided to try Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem, food substitute powder to mix in your water bottle. I figured, ha based on that recent ride, that if it made me feel bad, I knew I could get back. I consumed a couple bottles of it on the return ride and found I liked it.

Heritage Trail, Bruce was so happy with the clean cut of this bush during our trailwork April 23 but the plant is fighting back:

When I got to Pacheco Camp, I did a Phoneline/Ridge Trail figure-8 then stopped to filter water. Official temperature 3:54pm:

Yes, I tapped the gauge to un-stick the needle so that is an ultra-accurate reading :-)

Paging the San Martin Horsemen, these cows on Grizzly Gulch Trail need to be rounded-up:

I ♥ Grizzly Gulch Trail:

Back at Hunting Hollow at 7:40pm, the Solstice 10k group were not back yet. Big day for them!

2014 Coe Solstice Ride Report on mtbr
Roys’s track
Kley’s track
Julie’s track
Fred’s track
Fred’s playback (Be sure to check the boxes for all riders listed.)

Start at Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek entrance » Coit Road » Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail » Rock Tower Trail » Domino Pond Trail » Wasno Road » Coit Road » Willow Ridge Road » White Tank Spring Road » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Mississippi Queen Trail » Willow Ridge Road »  Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road » Bear Spring Trail East Alternative » Bear Mountain Road » Bear Mountain. Bear Mountain Road » Bear Spring Trail East Alternative » Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road » Willow Ridge Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Heritage Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Ridge Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (upper) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Tule Pond Trail » Grizzly Gulch Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 47.6/7:50/12:07/7,206'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Henry Coe State Park June 21, 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
Nice TR, trail looks great.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park June 28, 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
Another trip out to Bear Mtn. 4th time in 6 weeks. Not much of a story or photos and very similar to last week’s route so I’ll just append this thread…

I knew it would be warm but it’s only going to get hotter from here so I thought I’d get in one last ride before the summer heat hits. On the way out, I stopped a few times to do a little brushing, and I made a couple side trips, Coit Lake Perimeter Trail, and to Hoover Lake:

Survey marker on the top of Bear Mountain, the furthermost point from the parking lot:

After discovering how benign Bear Springs East is, I thought I’d try Bear Springs West…

^ Signpost for Bear Spring Trail; they didn’t bother to put the trail name on the signpost  :-/

…which turned out to be the evil twin. It was overgrown (tore an arm cooler sleeve), 2 hike-a-bike knolls, and poison oak bashing to get through to Bear Spring. Or in other words, it was consistent with most of the other trails in the Bear Mtn area. :-)

It was a pretty warm day (Gilroy hit 90º) and I struggled with the heat. Yet when the temps drop in the evening, I’m all good again. The last few miles fly by like the heat never happened.

The day ended with fireworks visible as I drove north on 1o1 by Moffett Field. Wow, am I being welcomed home as the conqueror of Bear Mountain??? Nope. It was the post-game Earthquake/Galaxy soccer match firework display from Stanford Stadium.

Start at Hunting Hollow 8:13am » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek entrance » Coit Road » Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail » Rock Tower Trail » Domino Pond Trail » Wasno Road » Bovine Slalom » Wasno Road » Wasno Pond Trail » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » out & back Coit Lake Perimeter Trail (west side of lake) » Coit Road » Willow Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Willow Ridge Road » Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road » Bear Spring Trail East Alternative » Bear Mountain Road » top of Bear Mountain. Bear Mountain Road » Bear Spring Trail West Alternative » Mississippi Lake Perimeter Road » Willow Ridge Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Heritage Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (upper) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Tule Pond Trail » Grizzly Gulch Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking 8:46pm. 47.60/7:50/12:07/7,206'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Henry Coe State Park June 21, 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
Boars!  Nice pic
Here's to sweat in your eye