Author Topic: The PCT Volume 23: The More the Merrier  (Read 22253 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: The PCT Volume 23: The More the Merrier
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
Our last day came too soon. The usual start:

And then we were off on a quick six mile hike to meet Vicki at Barker Pass (on Forest Road 3, halfway up the height of Lake Tahoe). Most of this six miles was, like some of yesterday's hike, in deeper forest. I wonder if the PCT sections north of here will be more like this, or if we'll have open areas with views like we had in much of the southern Sierra:

We did catch occasional pretty views to the west however, over the Rockbound Lake area:

But our focus on this hike wasn't pretty views, nice forest or fast hiking. The focus was a little bit on seeing mommy, a little bit on getting fresh food for lunch, and a lot bit on our first meeting with an expected new family member.

Meanwhile the trail started to emerge from the forest as we got close to Barker Pass:

We got our first view of Forest Road 3:

And then we saw where our trail reached the road. Tricia was almost there when Vicki walked over the road berm:

Vicki seemed to be carrying a bundle in her arms. Tricia reached Vicki and met our new little bundle, Halifax ("Hallie"). Katie was right behind:

Although a week ago we hadn't intended on getting a new dog any time soon, Vicki had learned of a dog show in Reno to be held while we were on the trail. She'd decided to go to it while she was waiting for us, maybe to meet some breeders from whom we might someday get a dog. Email meetings led to more communications than we expected and before Vicki knew it, a buyer had dropped out and she was asked if she wanted a new little girl.

She did. So I did too. We found out the night before we left. The girls were very excited.

And so our little addition came to Barker Pass to pick us up with Vicki.

We did our normal after-hike things:

But the main focus at the end of this trip was on our new little lady, Halifax Young. We have no doubt that by next summer she'll be doing PCT trips with us:

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
Congrats on your new baby girl!!! A cutie for sure.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
Nice finish. Glad everything went smoothly and fun.
Here are some random favorite shots from our time with you guys - good memories :)

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
How far in to get a puppy like that? ;)
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:42:41 PM »
Great looking trip. Love the pictures. The desolation area is SO nice, loved aloha lake. PS, where is the traffic cone.....barely recognized.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »

PS, where is the traffic cone.....barely recognized.

"Traffic Cone" wore a green shirt on day one. A green shirt.

Meanwhile young Alex wore a bright, bright orange hat.

As we started hiking, J.C. commented to Alex: "Nice orange hat Alex; I'm green with envy."

And Munge, given your allergies, you can't get a puppy like that no matter how far in you hike. But you're always welcome to stop by Salsa's B&B and say hi to ours...

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Brad, thanks for sharing both the great adventures and the pup!  I especially liked the photos from around Dick's Lake.  I visited there with son Jon twenty years ago and found it beauteous. 

Remind me not to walk uphill with either of your daughters unless I bring my binoculars.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »

Remind me not to walk uphill with either of your daughters unless I bring my binoculars.

Yeah, you look at enough of these reports and you tend to see the pattern of me in the rear. Sometimes way in the rear. I think J.C. And K.C. noticed that too on our first day out hiking.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »
Rob, here you go!

Here's to sweat in your eye

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
An alternative is to get this one and it can hump loads for you.  Plus it never poops.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
We're just about packed and ready. As soon as Tricia gets home from school we're leaving for Truckee to meet Brian, Whitney and Sharon. They're going to join us on the Forest Road 3 to Interstate 80, 32.3 miles section. We'll sleep tonight at the trailhead.

This may be the last of the PCT for this season. Certainly it's the last one we'd planned on (we'll see though how the autumn plays out...). It's going to be fun.

And, I've got print-outs of two photos that were taken in July, 2007. We were up climbing at Donner then with the Dawsons, and seven year old Tricia and I went for a hike on the PCT one day. Although we'd hiked only 32 miles of the trail by then (one trip, 32 miles from the Mexican border), we posed for photos at a trail junction on this July hike, wondering if we'd ever actually get to that point on the trail. Well it looks like we might just make it (and we'll pose for "seven years later" photos if/when we do):

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
have fun!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Those are fun pictures.
Happy trails and we'll see you next weekend :)
One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
I don't doubt Tricia will get you back out there in twenty years or so.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »
Well that went very well, in spite of Tricia's allergies or cold (we're not sure which - they started the night we slept at Barker Pass, but she's still got them this morning).

And talk about lucky timing - we didn't see a cloud all weekend and then woke up at 4:00 a.m. here to thunderstorms and rain (I never like waking up to that in the back country).

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
Well that went very well, in spite of Tricia's allergies or cold (we're not sure which - they started the night we slept at Barker Pass, but she's still got them this morning).

And talk about lucky timing - we didn't see a cloud all weekend and then woke up at 4:00 a.m. here to thunderstorms and rain (I never like waking up to that in the back country).

Sweet! Hope T feels better soon. We could sure use some of that rain down here :)
And don't believe the NWS for Pinnacles temps - it was 95 back at the car yesterday at 12:30 even though the forecast was sunny and high of 84. Rosie and Alex joined us for cake last night :)
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
I downloaded the photos from this trip and started working on them. When I saw the shots of Tricia and I at the Mount Judah Loop/PCT trail junction I just started laughing.

I'll get a trip report together starting tonight.

Meanwhile, we're likely done for 2014 PCT trips. Next year's trips will include lots of backpacking days, and a fair amount of day hiking too (lots of roads cross the trail up north). Any one else want in on a trip or two?

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »

no one does......its only outdone  ;D by smoke
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
The weather is looking a little "thunderstormy" for this upcoming first trip of 2015. We even got a brief but intense rain here at the house an hour ago.

So it looks like we'll leave Saturday instead of tomorrow and then hike Sunday through Tuesday instead (as the cycle tapers off). Unfortunately that means that Sharon and the Dawsons will only be able to hike with us two days instead of three. But they agreed too that 15 miles in thunderstorms isn't a real definition of fun hiking.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the next section of the trail (and then the next section after that too, and the...  ;D   ;D  ).

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »
 ;D ;D