Author Topic: The PCT Volume 24: Guest Stars and the Season Finale  (Read 45827 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
The PCT Volume 24: Guest Stars and the Season Finale
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
We couldn't have hoped for better conditions on this, our last trip of 2014.

We drove up to the Donner area after school on Friday, meeting our friends  Brian, Whitney and Sharon at the I-80 PCT trailhead. Then we were off to spend a night at Barker Pass, 7 1/2 miles up and west of Lake Tahoe.

We woke up to blue skies, perfect temperatures, breakfast and wrestling dogs:

For a few years now we've used super light gaiters while we hike. These keep little rocks and most dust out of one's shoes. Ours come with screaming bright colors and a clever name ("Dirty Girl Gaiters"). Vicki and Tricia thought that our guests for this trip should have their very own Dirty Girls:

After our new clothes "fitting," we were off on our next two days, 32.5 miles to Interstate 80 and the end of the season:

Vicki and Hallie joined us - for Halifax, these were her first steps on a trail on which she'll likely end up doing hundreds of miles:

We rounded Barker Peak and immediately started getting great views (which often included Lake Tahoe):

After about four miles of hiking we reached the border of the Granite Chief Wilderness. From that point we hiked for about six miles right on the Pacific Crest itself. These are such excellent vistas here that, view for view, this section of trail might almost compare to the ten miles of trail south of Sonora Pass:

Although much of this section of the trail is in the Wilderness, it's pretty much on the edge of it. To the east, coming right up to the Pacific Crest itself are a series of (well known) ski resorts. So we had a mix of great views, nice wilderness, and... buildings:

But, overall this part of the hike really was fantastic. Eventually we dropped off the crest to reach Five Lakes Creek, a nice lunch stop:

The last part of the day involved a big hump up to a trail saddle between Squaw Peak (of Squaw Valley ski resort) and Granite Chief (a local high point). We were tired by this point, almost 16 miles into the day:

We did finally reach the high point (more great views all over the Tahoe area):

Another half a mile of steep (knee-insulting) switchbacks then led down to Squaw Creek, water, and a pretty place to camp (even the ski lift cables we passed under 200 yards from camp were easy to forget in the overall beauty of the place):

The sun was down by the time we arrived, but we had some light left, enough to do our camp chores. And I think every one of us was thrilled by a nice campsite, a just-finished, hard, but viewful 16.1 mile day of hiking, and by the prospect of another, similar day tomorrow.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
Re: The PCT Volume 24: Guest Stars and the Season Finale
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
I have a bandana that has the identical pattern of Sharon's gaiters :)

Just paid for our tickets to the bbq...Rosie is on board :)
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:42 PM »
Quite nice.

Good color for Briham! :)
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
As I sit here preparing this trip report I'm starting to realize that I must have a cold. All the symptoms are coming on; I don't feel very well, I'm getting plugged up. Although it isn't strong (at least not yet), I'm pretty sure I've got a cold. And I know who I got it from. I got it from Tricia.

When we woke up at Barker Pass on our first day she was stuffed up and snotty (literally, not figuratively). She thought it might be allergies (although she's never had them in that kind of country before). Vicki and I worried that it might be a cold. It didn't seem to matter to her either way; she ate breakfast, got dressed, grabbed a snot rag and on we hiked.

She had a badly stuffed nose the whole way, both days.  But she made no complaints.  She did hike a little slower than normal though (go figure).

And her symptoms didn't abate when we got home like allergies would have (they are getting better today though).

I think my 12 year old just backpacked 32 miles with a cold. I'm quite sure that I couldn't have done that at age 12. What the hell have Vicki and I created? Have we raised a child who's tougher than I am?

Anyway, day two started early (great eastern exposure). Brian cracked us up by bunny-hopping over to the "dining tarp" still in his sleeping bag (to stay warm):

Once we started hiking, we stayed up high for a mile or two. Our last view of Squaw Valley was pretty dramatic (its main gondola silhouetted against the lake):

We then descended slowly northward on a ridge; the views to the north must have extended more than 25 miles:

The next major feature we passed on our hike was Tinker Knob. It required a bit of a climb to get around its south side:

After the climb (we were now on Tinker Knob's eastern flank) we were back on top of ridges and back into 360 degree views. From this spot we could still see "the" lake (walking past it makes one realize just how huge this thing is). We could clearly see I-80 and the top of the Truckee River canyon. We could see Northstar ski resort and the North Tahoe Airport. All these things from 15 to 20 miles away. And to the north? Well, to the north we think we got a glimpse of the Oregon border (well, not really, but we sure could see a long, long way):

From Tinker Knob, the trail wraps around Anderson Peak's west side. It then regains the crest for another almost three miles. It may come as a bit of a surprise, but we had incredible views on these three miles as well:

Donner Lake came into view:

We could see all of Truckee and the I-80 east area:

Do great views get boring? Can a section of trail get tedious from the same expansive, never ending views? Somehow it doesn't seem possible:

To the north we were closing in on Mount Judah:

The last bit of the PCT south of Highway 40 traverses Mount Judah (Vicki planned to meet us with lunch at Highway 40 - then we'd continue to I-80). There was also a certain trail junction up ahead on Mount Judah that I, for one, was looking forward to passing again with Tricia; a trail junction that she and I took photos at more than half a lifetime ago (measured by her lifetime that is).

We passed just east of Sugar Bowl's Mount Lincoln:

And then we traversed the west side of Mount Judah toward the junction of the PCT and the Mount Judah Loop trail. This junction was familiar to us. Tricia and I had hiked the Loop Trail back in 2007, on a rest day while on a climbing trip with friends to the Donner areas. Here we are in photos from July 2007 (Tricia was five years old - we'd made just one trip to the PCT by that point; we were 32 miles from the Mexican border):

I'd printed these photos out to take with us. Sharon, Brian and Whitney had seen them. And then we were at the junction. We started to pose for photos... and I just started cracking up. In 2007 we had no idea what adventures were ahead of us on this trail. But we took the photos. We had no idea in 2007 what a part of our family's story this PCT would become. And yet we posed for pictures, wondering, hoping, and yes, even expecting that some day - some day - we'd get to this point having hiked all the way from Mexico.

And today was that day. We posed again (thanks Sharon for the shots):

We had less than a mile "to Vicki" by this point. We made that mile and met up with her (and Hallie and lunch) just south of Highway 40.

After eating (and dropping our packs!!), we headed out for Interstate Highway 80 (right through and over the Donner Pass climbing areas that we'd been to so many times):

We decided that these last 3.7 miles would be perfect for Hallie - she'd be pushed a little, but she could sleep for hours in the car on the way home:

We zipped over toward I-80; in less than an hour we could see cars and trucks:

And then we reached it, tunnels and all:

We walked through the tunnels and then we were done. Vicki met us at the westbound I-80 rest stop (our dog Charlotte absolutely loves Brian; it looks like Halifax is gonna get there too):

As we split up and headed home, I reflected a lot on our now-passed, 2014 PCT season. We had a lot of fun and got a lot accomplished. We went from trailheads a "significant drive" from home, to trailheads almost at home, and then back to traiheads a "significant drive" from home. More awaits us, and I can't wait (eight months until our next trip seems like a long, long time though - can a person have withdrawals from an adventure like this?).

Oh, and Hallie? She did sleep (actually, both dogs did) most of the way home:

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »

Not to start a pattern, or anything, but how far in is this mud pinnacle?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »

Not to start a pattern, or anything, but how far in is this mud pinnacle?

The one that looks like the thumb part of The Hand at Pinnacles?

About four miles in. It's pretty shattered rock (that is, it's just right for you  ;D  )

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
shattered

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
that would be fun on a Mtn bike.
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »
I smelled that mungy pinnacle question coming from at least a mile away :)

Some great pics in there and a few laughs - Brian hopping and you two in the tunnel.
I especially like the one of Hallie where she appears to be flying along the trail - must have already acquired that skill from T :)
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
I got one of Tricia in the tunnel that's more like the one you took of she and Alex in the Blue Lakes Road tunnel:

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
Great pics and great walk!  Did it drop below freezing up there? 

P.S.  Munge, I'll hold the rope.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
Nice, looks like a good trip
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
Waldo, lets start making some plans! Though I may have some junker crags that are closer to reach than those. :)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
What have I created by way of a hiking monster? The birthday card I got from Tricia made me go back to look at these threads (on a cold winter's day). It's a nice, handmade card:

She's a great hiker, but really a 12 year old girl claiming she hikes faster than her daddy? That's nuts, there's no way she hikes faster than me. Is there? Should I bust her? Make her carry more weight?

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »
I think I can honestly state that we will all help her sneak rocks in your pack.  ;)
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
No wonder you always hike like you're going to a fire!
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
OK, we're packed and ready and setting off now for our first PCT adventure of 2015. We'll be up there in today's expected weather, but we'll start hiking tomorrow morning.

This is going to be so much fun.

I'll hope to do a new trip report after we return  :)

P.S. You Pinnacles fanatics (you know who you are) have fun out there today too.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 06:54:44 AM »
I will

It's off to Chucky e Cheese for a birthday party.
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 06:56:18 AM »

I will

It's off to Chucky e Cheese for a birthday party.

Well that's important stuff too - go to it and have fun!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 07:31:57 AM »
OK, we're packed and ready and setting off now for our first PCT adventure of 2015. We'll be up there in today's expected weather, but we'll start hiking tomorrow morning.

This is going to be so much fun.

I'll hope to do a new trip report after we return  Smiley

Looking forward to the reports. :)
Causing trouble when not climbing.