Author Topic: 2nd Annual PINNACLES CLIMBER APPRECIATION WEEKEND  (Read 59840 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: 2nd Annual PINNACLES CLIMBER APPRECIATION WEEKEND
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »
so·cial·ize verb \ˈsō-shə-ˌlīz\
: to talk to and do things with other people in a friendly way

: to teach (someone) to behave in a way that is acceptable in society

Which one?

Brad, I am gonna try for Sunday. So your love affair with granite is over? Your not going to run back into the arms of Miss Pristineness on Sunday?   ???

Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:24 AM »
so·cial·ize verb \ˈsō-shə-ˌlīz\
: to talk to and do things with other people in a friendly way

: to teach (someone) to behave in a way that is acceptable in society

Which one?

The first for me; the second apparently for you (hopeless though, I know)

Brad, I am gonna try for Sunday. So your love affair with granite is over? Your not going to run back into the arms of Miss Pristineness on Sunday?   ???

One wife, many rocks. Let's not forget geography either. But yes, I redpointed Elora Wren Tuesday morning, so I'm good with my goals now for up here.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
Was it documented on video?

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Amazing weekend!
Thanks everybody!!!

Kat follows pitch 1 on The Salathe Route 5.6*** - The Hand - wow!!! what a route!!!

One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Nice pic.  Looks cool.

Had a good time, thanks to everyone that made it.  I did very little but was glad that I made it. 
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:14 AM »
I did very little

Munch appreciated.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »
 Hey all, I had a great time, and so did my daughters. Learned a lot about the climber trails and the approach to Pipsqueak now is excellent. Great memories, thanks.

Looking forward to the next "family" gathering. 

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »
Amazing weekend!
Thanks everybody!!!

Awesome! Glad you made it up The Salathe Route. Pretty awesome.
All in all it was great weekend. Jean had a wonderful time on her 3 star tour.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
What a wonderful weekend.  This is now on my yearly calendar.  Thank you everyone! Hope to see you again soon.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
Found a water bottle.  Anyone want to claim?

JC w KC redux

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Nice pic.  Looks cool.
Had a good time, thanks to everyone that made it.  I did very little but was glad that I made it. 

It was great to have you there dude :)
Love listening to your stories and it was good to see you on the mend.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
Awesome! Glad you made it up The Salathe Route. Pretty awesome.
All in all it was great weekend. Jean had a wonderful time on her 3 star tour.

Very cool to hang with you guys and finally meet Jean.
Gotta get back out to The Hand and do all the variations.
After looking at the pics and topo again, I am convinced I got suckered in by the Burnette bolt and did that variation. I had intended to do the 6's first and save the 7 for last - oops :)
It was amazing and The Thumb was cool too. Been a long time since I climbed anything with stars :)
Larry said he watched us climb The Hand from where they were working on the trail.
They did a spectacular job clearing stumps and dressing up the path.
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
the cleared the way to the Hand?? Or the lower trail that goes through the valley on the old CCC road (it was a nice road).

Yeah, the Burnette variation does sucker you since the real route goes up from the belay!

I did it as well.
I'm not worthy.

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 06:54:19 AM »
the cleared the way to the Hand?? Or the lower trail that goes through the valley on the old CCC road (it was a nice road).

Yeah, the Burnette variation does sucker you since the real route goes up from the belay!

I did it as well.

Yes we cleared the CCC road. It was a heinous but gratifying experience for all involved.

How do you know if you did the Burnette or not? We went as straight up as we could from the belay after going around right to the first bolt. Didn't spot any other bolts, but it seemed pretty wicked for 5.6...

JC w KC redux

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
Joel leading and Jason belaying on The Hand (Burnette Bolt Variation 5.7**) - taken from The Thumb's summit

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
" ...pretty wicked for 5.6"

That's it.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
Yes we cleared the CCC road. It was a heinous but gratifying experience for all involved.

How do you know if you did the Burnette or not? We went as straight up as we could from the belay after going around right to the first bolt. Didn't spot any other bolts, but it seemed pretty wicked for 5.6...

You should see the road now Adam.
I have some pictures I took while scouting The Hand this past summer. Both the Salathe and the Salathe-Burnette Variation share the first bolt on p2. From there, I don't know if it's possible to see the 2nd Salathe bolt without first traversing up and left around the arête until you're above the beach ball again. The topo shows finishing in the water streak that is to the left of the beach ball. I would imagine Brad chose not to show the blunt arête on the topo because it would make it too crowded. I did like you guys and went for the only bolt I could see after the first one. I had not taken the time to carefully study the topo before getting on the route. I was cold and nervous and just wanted to get climbing. I was shivering and shaking at the beach ball. I distinctly remember slinging the big knob shown in the pic. I'd say what we all did is a common "error" but still a wonderful mistake to make :)
The yellow path is what I perceive as the Salathe, based on the obvious weakness - which is evidently not so obvious when you're on the route with adrenaline surging and your nose pressed to the wall :)

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
Highlights of another fantastic weekend with the Pinnacles tribe:

- A new trail into Pipsqueak Pinnacle that follows the totally logical path;

- Careful obliteration of the old, not-very-good trails into Pipsqueak (great work here by Adam especially);

- Two fun nights of socializing, enabled by the Park Service and, especially by Larry and Jane's careful planning and preparation;

- Having Mr. Mud join us even with a wounded shoulder; just by being there he added energy and fun;

- Meeting Nelkins from this site (he's real, he works hard, and he's got a ton of Pinnacles experience - going out to The Hand and Frog was nothing new to him; I'm bummed that through our delays on Sunday he didn't climb with us up in the High Peaks);

- The hard work, camaraderie and cooperation that allowed 18 people on our team to improve the trail to The Hand and Frog, including obliterating also the "old" trail next to the CCC road in favor of clearing that already-existing trail tread;

- Seeing Jean "Tuckey" and Adam on The Hand - apparently Adam was kind enough to give her a "tour" so that, not having climbed there much, she could lead three star Pinns routes  (at the end of the work day, with the rain stopped, the two sneaked over to The Salathe Route and all the trail crew got to stop and watch as she led the second pitch - and BTW, red's a good color on you Jean);

- Getting the third lead of Aaron and Jon's new route Where's Waldo. Brilliant name (Bob Walton helped them with it), but an even more brilliant route;

- Meeting Kyqueeener of this site too, and getting to do an FA with he and Gavin yesterday (Kyle is real too, and man is he strong and smooth on the rock - let's climb together again at Pinns Kyle, I've got a few more FAs that need to be done there - but bring your comfortable shoes);

- Learning on the way home that, not only was J.C. successful on The Hand, but my friend Joel led it and loved it too.

That was a great start to what promises to be another wonderful Pinns season.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »
Note; Bright orange represents the path "Traffic Cone" took. >:D

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Another hightlight was KC getting the special Orange Shirt Of Recognition from Larry.  I thought that was welled deserved and fairly brilliant.
Here's to sweat in your eye