Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park October 18, 2014  (Read 3556 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park October 18, 2014
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
Back to Coe, yay! First time since mid-July. The fireroad grading has compacted nicely and the roads felt fast today. Blue sky and nice temps. Talked with Ken fka Orange Voodoo Guy and Mark Hunter in the parking lot. We rolled out together but soon were off on our separate ways.

One month ago I ran into to Mark at Russian Ridge—very strange to spot a regular out of Coe—and he said that due to a problem with his suspension pivots, Santa Cruz was replacing his frame. He had some trepidation about the possible Miami Vice-ish color scheme. Today he had the new frame and it was reasonable. Black with colorful Santa Cruz logo. We crossed paths a couple times during the morning. He went to Mississippi Lake and I went to the very dry Hoover Lake:

And on to some of the trails in MyCoe: White Tank/Rose Dam, Phoneline/Redacted Ridge Trail figure-8, and out the Pacheco Creek Trail where I found this fallen pine:

I had to cut it on the left side of the trail, a little thick for my minimal hand saw. I kept at it; happily the wood was weak and snapped well before sawing all the way through.

After:

The remaining tree on the ground has been there forever and adds "interest" to the trail.

This took 45 minutes. Also did a few other minor trailwork tasks on that trail.

What It Was Like Out There™ at the furthermost point on my ride:

Pacheco Creek Trail at Heritage Trail

There I made a U-Turn and headed back to Pacheco Camp for a possible water refill. Water wasn't needed and after a short break began the return trip taking Coit Road to Live Oak Spring Trail which amazingly didn't have any fallen trees. A statistical aberration.

I thought I was headed for a Tule/Grizzly Gulch finish but in the last 100 feet to the turn-off switched to Jackson/Anza. That didn't stick either and I ended up the day with the Domino Pond » Cattle Duster » Grapevine » Anza Super-D...What It Was Like Out There™

Cattle Duster Trail

5:50pm I returned to the Hunting Hollow parking lot. A couple deer casually strolled through but already the light had dimmed enough that attempts to photograph them resulted in slow-shutter-speed-blurring. The days are getting shorter.

Start at Hunting Hollow » Hunting Hollow Road » Lyman Willson Ridge Trail » Bowl Trail » Willson Camp » Wagon Road » Wasno Pond Trail » Wagon Road » Fish & Game Trail » Coit Road » Willow Ridge Road » Hoover Lake Trail » Hoover Lake » Hoover Airstrip » White Tank Spring Trail » Rose Dam Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Phoneline Trail » Coit Road » Pacheco Ridge Road » Ridge Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail to intersection with Heritage Trail » Pacheco Creek Trail » Pacheco Camp » Coit Road » Live Oak Spring Trail (upper) » Wagon Road » Wasno Road » Bovine Slalom » Wasno Road » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Grapevine Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking. 39.4/6:26/9:07/6,415'

Wildlife sightings…2 different packs of wild boar, a jackrabbit, a couple deer, and lot of pigeons (near Rodeo Pond).

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Henry Coe State Park October 18, 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
That is very dry!   Nice ride report.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Re: Henry Coe State Park October 18, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
So dry, it looks like another planet. I always thought crud means cracked mud.
Inch by inch, I will get there.