Author Topic: Rituals and magic.  (Read 61645 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Rituals and magic.
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »
 Great experiences are sometimes hard to put into words. I shared one yesterday with Aaron. The project is 140ft higher and a major suspect large chockstone has been safely bypassed.
 None of the new ground gained was near as hard as the lower squeeze crux in the bottleneck. We were surprised with solid rock and good holds at a steep and committing section that went at 5.7 to another chimney with a bomber human sized skull shaped chockstone to protect 5.5 chimneying leading to light and escape from the depths of the lower labyrinth. We put our headlamps away and continued up to a split in possible direction , exploring both ways a bit before heading down. The moonlit trail was cool, short days and early night has it's beauty.

Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Rituals and magic.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
I've been told passing stones is very painful.
I did something new yesterday but not an FA.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »
The project is 140ft higher and a major suspect large chockstone has been safely bypassed.

On further reflection - does that mean a major suspect chockstone still looms in some kind of danger zone since you bypassed it?
One wheel shy of normal

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »
Clink,

What an amazing day!  Cannot believe that route went to the top.  It seemed grim after I got to the bypass belay with you.  I can now say that I have stood on Godzilla's testicle and lived.  I am still in shock that the rock quality actually improved.  Great job!

John preforming bypass surgery...

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Having survived the depths of Hell, Dante and Virgil ascend out of the undergloom...

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »
and miles to go before we sleep

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
So many great name possibilities!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
looks awesome
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
On further reflection - does that mean a major suspect chockstone still looms in some kind of danger zone since you bypassed it?

It is still there, but you don't touch it until both you and your belayer are above and to the right, out of the catastrophic danger zone. JC, we are at the beginning of that water-chute you were eyeing, that goes up the north side of what I call the Chosstrum.

So many great name possibilities!

More names and enough route possibilities to interest all of the MoM's for years.

There is a lot climbing to be done, hope you guys can join us for the upper sections.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Sounds wild. I'd love to come check it out. Only have one day next weekend. Lots of folks going West Side.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
It is still there, but you don't touch it until both you and your belayer are above and to the right, out of the catastrophic danger zone. JC, we are at the beginning of that water-chute you were eyeing, that goes up the north side of what I call the Chosstrum.

There is a lot climbing to be done, hope you guys can join us for the upper sections.

We definitely want to get in on that.

This tasty water chute?

I finally got to do this one Friday with Kat (Lonely Sheepherder pitch 2). She couldn't quit talking about how fun it was :)

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:39:55 PM »
 We will see how this rain and the weekend play out. Munge, what day works? Brad and Waldo I'm sure will be notified of any excursions up to work higher.
 JC, that chute is on the next tower on the up and right-side split, via another flare or a cool looking variation that may or may not connect, that Aaron found. The left-side split I saw has a weakness, (similar looking to Waldo) that diagonals up and left and joins a chute not in that pic, above a rotten band. May be a little steeper also. There are couple dozen pinnacles, faces and chimneys in this immediate area.
 Saw and climbed with some of the MoM's at the gym today. I think Caleb is going to get sponsored by Hello Kitty.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »

...I think Caleb is going to get sponsored by Hello Kitty.

To call you cruel is just touching the surface.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
Sunday

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:34 AM »
To call you cruel is just touching the surface.
Yes, at times.
 Caleb's family spends the weekend with us, cut Christmas trees... We put him on a 5.11 outside/laybacking corner climb that kicked the rest of our butts, and he pulls it without a fall. He finds all 4 of my outside cats and talks and cuddles with them. He climbs off the couch like no one else, is a terrific dad and great husband. The guy is amazing and at times a little weird(he doesn't drink coffee or beer). I really do love him and his family. 

Happy Holiday Cheer!

Watching the weather for Sunday, Munge.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Clink,

You guys were in deep!  That was an amazing adventure!  Rituals and Magic?  Shoot me an email if and when I might be useful -

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
Rituals and Magic?

Every time we enter the labyrinth, we have have to battle and kill this creature. When we return it is alive and the we have to kill it again. It's name is Fear.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:55:22 AM »
Bob, do you like chimneying? We were wondering you are an aficionado? Or do you only tolerate them?

Killer K

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
Hello All,

I'll post here too because it seems somewhat relevant. I wanna climb Sunday. Is one day of dry weather enough to not damage the routes? (never been to the Pinns)

Totally stoked. Thanks for any info.

Kelley