Author Topic: ECdM » Purisima » HMB » Purisima » ECdM January 14 & 21, 2015  (Read 66215 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Combined ride report for a couple El Corte de Madra OSP » Half Moon Bay rides. First some photos from a few random spots in El Corte de Madra OSP…

A plane called the Resolution crashed here in 1953 (see the Flight of the Resolution). Some pieces of the wreckage:

Mooooooo

South Leaf Trail:

This is what you see in the upper left of the above photo:

More wreckage:

Who is

...?? ?? ??

Edit to add the answer:  http://www.meetup.com/South-Bay-Mountain-Bike/messages/53405882/  "By now most of you know that Gary Martin, South Bay Mountain Bike Group Event Organizer and ride leader, passed away on Saturday, May 18." "And several people have emailed me to ask about how Gary died. Well he died doing something he loved, riding at Skeggs with the group. It was not a crash. Ray doubled back to check on him on a climb, and he had collapsed on the trail and was not breathing. I don't know if it was a heart attack or a stroke but it happened very fast. The paramedics were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene. I wasn't on that ride, but I will tell you that everyone on that ride was shaken up and is mourning the loss of our good friend. Please be respectful and give Ray and the others that were on the ride a little space. Thank you."

So the broken bicycle in the above photos...a couple weeks ago, January 10th, I rode at ECdM and Purisima. When I get back to the new main parking lot, a ~5 year girl in riding gear has a map and is excitedly asking all the returning mtn bikers to show her their route. When I told her mine she shouts, “Dad, this guy rode South Leaf!!!”. Her dad and I start talking and realize we had met a couple times in Monte Bello mid-2014. He had a ton of enthusiasm and an old heavy piece of crap bike. The first time we talked, he had just crashed descending Indian Creek because the brakes didn’t work well enough. I mentioned to him that he had a better bike today and he told the story that the old bike broke in half on South Leaf weeks ago. He walked out and later when he went back to retrieve it, he couldn’t find it. I told him it is still there! Didn’t have a camera with me on that day but by the brand/description we agreed it had to be his. Ha, Electroshock – great name. The girl’s ride plan was going down Oljon and Steam Donkey (I suspect to Gordon Mill). I thought this was pretty good!

01/14/2015 ECdM » Purisima » HMB » Purisima » ECdM

What It Was Like Out There™:

The man on the beach had a dozen dogs. I counted. None of them looked unhappy to be there.

Weather report:

Sadly some of Wavecreast was sanitized with a formal path and a hundred Stay On The Path, Dangerous Cliff, Habitat Restoration, blah blah blah signs.

Is that waddle supposed to hold back the Pacific Ocean? Anyway, here is the story:

Molder Trail (9:40am) » Sierra Morena Trail » Oljon Trail » Steam Donkey Trail » Spring Board Trail » Gordon Mill Trail » Crossover Trail » Crosscut Trail » Timberview Trail » Giant Salamander Trail » Methuselah Trail » Fir Trail » Resolution Trail » El Corte de Madera Creek Trail » CMØ7 » Star Hill Road » Tunitas Creek Road » PCØ4 » Grabtown Gulch Trail » Purisima Creek Trail » PCØ5 » Higgins Canyon Road aka Higgins Purisima Road » Half Moon Bay » Highway 1 » Wavecrest Road » JRA the Wavecrest bluffs » Wavecrest Road » Highway 1 » Higgins Canyon Road aka Higgins Purisima Road » PCØ5 » Purisima Creek Trail » Borden Hatch Mill Trail » Grabtown Gulch Trail » PCØ4 » Tunitas Creek Road » Star Hill Road » CMØ7 » El Corte de Madera Creek Trail » Tafoni Trail » Fir Trail » Sierra Morena Trail » Molder Trail (4:57pm). 37.86/5:45/7:18/5,370'

Kings Mountain:

Half Moon Bay:

01/21/2015 ECdM » Purisima » HMB » Purisima » ECdM

Another ECdM » HMB ride…this might be getting repetitious but conditions are perfect! Warm all day except next to the Purisima Creek. Windy at times. Offshore wind so the atmosphere was very clear.

These yellow flowers are very common in HMB:

Called Oxalis and are considered a weed.

I rode up to the surfer beach to see if anything was going with the King Tide. There was nothing:

Turns out there'll be some big waves on the following days.

That trip  made me late leaving HMB. Sunset today was 5:22pm. Plus 30 minutes meant ECdM closed at 5:52. I made a bee-line back. My bail-out point was Star Hill & Swett. Time check there: 4:54. I went for it (as in I went through ECdM rather than taking the roads) and got to CMØ1 at 5:38. Out safe but in my haste I left my camera behind somewhere so post-ride I drove around looking for it…found it at the bottom of Purisima (PCØ5). Ha, that was the long way home, almost 2 hours driving time.

On these ECdM » HMB rides on short winter days with having to race back to beat the sunset, I’ll recall my ride with Meí, Christine, and Daryl once in December when we didn’t make it back in time. For someone who professed to not like night riding, Meí was the only one of us who had a light. http://www.mxi2000.net/mudworm/2008/12/skeggs-2-hmb

Start at Molder trailhead (9:42am) » Molder Trail » Sierra Morena Trail » Main parking lot » Skyline Blvd Hwy 35 » Bear Gulch Road » CMØ5 » Spring Board Trail » Lawrence Creek Trail » Blue Blossom Trail » Spring Board Trail » Gordon Mill Trail » Crossover Trail » Crosscut Trail » Timberview Trail » Giant Salamander Trail » Methuselah Trail » out & back South Leaf Trail (2008 extension) » Methuselah Trail » North Leaf Trail » El Corte de Madera Creek Trail » CMØ7 » Star Hill Road » Tunitas Creek Road » PCØ4 » Grabtown Gulch Trail » Purisima Creek Trail » PCØ5 » Higgins Canyon Road aka Higgins Purisima Road » Half Moon Bay » Highway 1 » Wavecrest Road » Coastal trails along the bluff out and back to El Granada » Highway 1 » Higgins Canyon Road aka Higgins Purisima Road » PCØ5 » Purisima Creek Trail » Borden Hatch Mill Trail » Grabtown Gulch Trail » PCØ4 » Tunitas Creek Road » Star Hill Road » CMØ7 » El Corte de Madera Creek Trail » Tafoni Trail » Fir Trail » CMØ1 » Skyline Blvd Hwy 35 » Molder trailhead. (5:42pm) 46.00/6:06/8:00/6,979'

Kings Mountain:

Half Moon Bay:

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: ECdM » Purisima » HMB » Purisima » ECdM January 14 & 21, 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Do you call this your wreckage ride?
Here's to sweat in your eye

Skyline35

• Mudders
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »

Skyline35

• Mudders
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
These yellow flowers are very common in HMB:

Called Oxalis and are considered a weed.

An article on the abundance of Oxalis:

https://baynature.org/articles/a-natural-history-of-that-little-yellow-flower-thats-everywhere-right-now/

"Yellow bursts of color for spring mean the ruthless invader Oxalis has arrived..."

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
Oxalis is trying hard to take over my backyard.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
When I saw the quote, I assumed it was then going to describe Yellow Star Thistle. I'd never previously heard of Oxalis, which sounds nearly as bad.