Author Topic: Henry Coe State Park January 28, 2015  (Read 3462 times)

Skyline35

• Mudders
Henry Coe State Park January 28, 2015
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »

The warm, rainless January continues. Pictures from a mid-week ride at Coe with Bruce and his friend Alex. We did the classic Hunting Hollow » Middle Ridge route. The photos without borders are from Alex's camera - thanks Alex!

Bruce on Anza/Jackson:

And Alex:

Alex toughed it out with a 1 x 9 drivetrain (34t front ring). He didn't have a low gear for the hills but stood and mashed making all the very steep sections. With 6.700' of climbing, that's a tough day!

Alex & Bruce at the cattle duster:

We would be back here later.

We're just about to coast by the Mahoney Pond:

Bruce dropping into China Hole:

The water in China Hole was pretty deep. To cross it I waded through shoes off. The water was cold!

China Hole:

A few from Manzanita Point Road:

Indian Warriors on Middle Ridge Trail:

The very fun Middle Ridge Trail ends...

...and hike-a-bike (with 5 stream crossings) begins:

Bruce on Mahoney Meadows Road at 4:30pm:

We are ahead of schedule. The plan was to end in the dark with lights but there is still an hour of daylight. To kill time we pedaled slowly, extended the ride up to the top of Domino Pond Trail, took a few breaks, fooled around with the camera:

The little pop-up flash on my camera doesn't have enough power to light up Alex and Bruce but if I had a big umbrella flash set-up, that photo would have been awesome.

Alex's pictures were taken with an iphone and in this case, in HDR mode.  The HDR is working really good here:

Back at the cattle duster:

Alex rolls on to the Cattle Duster Trail at sunset:

There was a half-moon overhead so on the last ~½ mile to the parking lot (on pavement) we rode in the moonlight lights-off.

Start at Hunting Hollow (9:58am) » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Coyote Creek entrance » Coit Road » Anza Trail » Jackson Trail » Elderberry Spring Trail » Rock Tower Trail » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Cross Canyon Trail » Coit Road » Mahoney Meadows Road » Cowgirls Trail » Mahoney Meadows Road » China Hole Trail » China Hole » China Hole Trail » Manzanita Point » Manzanita Point Road » Hobbs Road » Frog Lake Trail » Middle Ridge Trail » Poverty Flats Road » Creekside Trail » China Hole » China Hole Trail » Mahoney Meadows Road » Coit Road » Wasno Road » Domino Pond Trail » Cattle Duster Trail » Coit Springs Trail » Grapevine Trail » Anza Trail » Coit Road » Coyote Creek gate » Gilroy Hot Springs Road » Hunting Hollow parking (6:21pm, sunset 5:27pm). 37.60/5:48/8:23/6,761'

Gilroy:

Cordoza Ridge:

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Re: Henry Coe State Park January 28, 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Wow, looks to be a nice day! Surprised to read about all the water ( 5 stream crossings ) considering it's looking like a bone dry January (only two days left).
Inch by inch, I will get there.

Skyline35

• Mudders
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Surprised to read about all the water ( 5 stream crossings ) considering it's looking like a bone dry January (only two days left).
Looks like we will make through January with no rain at all this year.

Alex let me add some of his photos to my report above. Ha, you can see me daintily crossing China Hole. (There was a time I would have tried riding across.) There seemed to be more water there than the other parts of the Park I've been to.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »
Went to the Sierra this week and it was very warm and dry.
Here's to sweat in your eye