Author Topic: Button Head Rebolting Focus?  (Read 32176 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Button Head Rebolting Focus?
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:22:55 PM »

Some 5/16 button heads can snap.

I've replaced one 3/8" buttonhead at Pinns. Hard to do.

Are there any 5/16ths still out there?

There's a thread on ST about the Gorge accident where cause of death was linked to a snapped button head.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Button Head Rebolting Focus?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »
Scary.

I think the first bolt on the West Face/Machete Direct 5th pitch bolt ladder is an old one. The consequence of that bolt failing would be serious.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
Some 5/16 button heads can snap.
I've replaced on 3/8" buttonhead at Pinns. Hard to do.
There's a thread on ST about the Gorge accident where cause of death was linked to a snapped button head.

Very scary.  I read the thread at SuperTaco.  It looks like this guy was aiding between bolts, one bolt at a time. Meaning he was only ever clipped into one bolt. Not good. 

Ranger Bolts has collection of every type of bolt and hanger ever placed at Pinns.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »

Ranger Bolts has collection of every type of bolt and hanger ever placed at Pinns.

Not sure if that is true since it has been rebolted.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Bruce Hildenbrand

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
Munge,

you replaced the 3/8" buttonhead at the start of the Bob and Phyllis Headwall?

I have seen some 3/8" buttonheads at the Pinnacles (one on top of the Hatchet which is not part of Rohrer's rappel anchor comes to mind) but can't think of any 5/16" buttonheads out there (which doesn't mean there aren't any!)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Bruce,

From personal experience, and as a rough guess, one fourth of the bolts Jack placed are 5/16th inch buttonheads. I don't know of anyone else who placed them at Pinns (and let's face it - he most commonly placed them from desperate stances). Look in the FA appendix for his routes and you're likely to find some.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Bruce,

From personal experience, and as a rough guess, one fourth of the bolts Jack placed are 5/16th inch buttonheads. I don't know of anyone else who placed them at Pinns (and let's face it - he most commonly placed them from desperate stances). Look in the FA appendix for his routes and you're likely to find some.

Beavis and Buttonhead comes to mind.
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Muttonhead.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

Jack and I placed a number of 5/16ths on lead when things got desperate - Condor Condiment, Piedras, some other places.  Our intention was to go back and replace them with good stars. We didn't get around to all of them.  There might still be a 5/16th on Condor.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
Jack and I placed a number of 5/16ths on lead when things got desperate - Condor Condiment, Piedras, some other places. There might still be a 5/16th on Condor.

I intend to climb Condor Condiment again this summer and get some work done on it. Maybe we can work on it together.
One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
I intend to climb Condor Condiment again this summer and get some work done on it. Maybe we can work on it together.

That's a good idea!  We should make a party out of it.  I think that 5/16th bolt is on the first pitch and a bit off line - probably that's why we neglected it. I seem to remember that there's one on Vin Ordinaire.  We replaced one 5/16th, but there might be another.

Bruce Hildenbrand

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »
Beavis and Buttonhead comes to mind.

John,

actually that's the name Clint and I gave the route we found over by Teapot Dome.  If I remember correctly the bolts we replaced were 1/4" Rawl split shaft buttonheads(well, that's what my notes say from 2003).

Bruce Hildenbrand

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
Bruce,

Brad,

interesting!  I haven't done that many of Holmgren's routes and we tend to shy away from rebolting his routes because he used to epoxy in his Star Dryvins and those are very difficult to replace(we usually had to just chop them out).  We might have to start working on some of his routes.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
John,
actually that's the name Clint and I gave the route we found over by Teapot Dome.  If I remember correctly the bolts we replaced were 1/4" Rawl split shaft buttonheads(well, that's what my notes say from 2003).

Fun trivia Bruce.
I wanted to go check that climb out the day I did Arch Pinnacle but couldn't get my partner on board.
I forgot to check the book before mentioning that name - it is listed as RB in 2003.
One wheel shy of normal

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 09:12:21 AM »
That's a good idea!  We should make a party out of it.  I think that 5/16th bolt is on the first pitch and a bit off line - probably that's why we neglected it. I seem to remember that there's one on Vin Ordinaire.  We replaced one 5/16th, but there might be another.

Bob,

I have wanted to go back there with you and replace the bolts after my first adventure with you on that route. I would also like to lead the 10 variation.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
"Don't lean back" Waldo's reply to Aaron asking him about the quality of the anchor bolts on CC.

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
"Don't lean back" Waldo's reply to Aaron asking him about the quality of the anchor bolts on CC.

HA! You remembered the story!