Author Topic: Anyone done or seen this?  (Read 33633 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Anyone done or seen this?
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
I came across this in a geology article.

Fig. 2. Balanced rock (in the southwest of section 27 and one-half mile north of the Pinnacles). Erosion has removed an intermediate bed of volcanic ash faster than the volcanic breccia which occurs both above and below.

Causing trouble when not climbing.

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Anyone done or seen this?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »
See the faces in this?

Fig. 6.(the pic to the right) View of a composite dike (east of Chalone Creek, in the north center of section 18), showing, in the white band just below the hammer, a fragment of rhyolite which has been included in later dacite.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
Thought this was cool,

A Walk in the Shadows of Towering Pinnacles
January 20, 1991|JOHN McKINNEY
Email

Nothing prepares you for the sight of them.

The approach from the west offers a view of classic California cattle country--round, rolling, grassy hills. Suddenly, popping out of the land like a stage set, are the towering rock spires of the Pinnacles, a Bryce Canyon in miniature and a place like no other in California.

Located about 300 miles north of Los Angeles, the Pinnacles crown the obscure Gabilan Range.

About the only one ever to sing the praises of the Gabilans is John Steinbeck in East of Eden: "I remember that the Gabilan Mountains to the east of the valley were light gay mountains full of sun and loveliness and a kind of invitation, so that you wanted to climb into their warm foothills almost as you want to climb into the lap of a beloved mother."

Steinbeck, however, means the gentle Gabilans that line his beloved Salinas Valley, not the rugged volcanic anomaly that is the Pinnacles.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »

Sorry, I haven't seen those. I'm even more sorry though that I've moved on now from Pinnacles for the season   ::)

Anyone seen one of these granite crack type things lately?   ;D

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
Tiburcio,
there's one thing I know,
this ain't Mexico,
though it was.

Inside the Pinnacles National Monument, it gets more interesting. Canyons, caves and creeks create a cacophony of trails and hideouts. Eagles, hawks, kestrels and falcons hang here. Tiburcio Vasquez,the infamous social bandit is said to have hidden a stash from a robbery here shortly before he was captured in L.A. and hung in San Jose.

Vásquez was popular in the Mexican community, and had many friends and family members from Santa Rosa in Northern California to Los Angeles in the south. He was handsome, literate, charming, played guitar, and was a skillful dancer. Women were attracted to him and he had many love affairs. He enjoyed reading romantic novels and writing poetry for his female admirers. He had several affairs with married women, one of which would eventually prove his downfall.[11]

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Anyone seen one of these granite crack type things lately?   Grin

Cool rock Brad. Where is it?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »
 Brad, I found the xerox copy with notes of Jack's bolt kit contents in the attic. In the papers was a hand drawn topo of Nexus showing the #3 tri cam, nuts, and fixed pin placements. Sexus, Nexus, and Plexus are draw on the back side along with bolt and nut placements and anchors. My desire to hang on a hook to place the next bolt on a project has suddenly waned.

Also included was a topo for You Climb That Hill No Matter How Steep,But You Still Ain't Goin" Nowhere(gear 0,1,2,3 TCU and .5, 1.0, 1.5 Lowe Tri-Cams and 2 1/2 Alien. Noted was "#2 or 1 1/2 Alien. Must have to Back up bolt.

I will have to get JC to photograph and post these.(since as you both have pointed out I suck at posting pics) JC may be out close to this area today, rebolting.  

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »

Cool rock Brad. Where is it?

That's a route on The Fortress in the Sky, up at Chipmunk Flat. The climb is called "Firefight at Khafji," 5.10a (I'm on the second, money pitch).

I will have to get JC to photograph and post these

Yes!

.(since as you both have pointed out I suck at posting pics)

Yes, true!

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »

I will have to get JC to photograph and post these.(since as you both have pointed out I suck at posting pics) JC may be out close to this area today, rebolting.  

You are correct - he is out there with Noal and the kid.  We took the kid on Old Original yesterday - she did all nine pitches and then led Kibbles and Bits and Rebecca's Sailing.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
Tiburcio looks like the dude in the Dos Equis commercials - the most interesting man in the world :)
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
But where is his treasure??? I say under the monolith....where else?
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:14:22 AM »
Nexus pitch 1 topo from Jack to clink

Nexus upper pitches topo from Jack to clink

Jack’s bolt kit

Jack’s bolt kit

Jack’s bolt kit

Tuff Dome topo Jack to clink

One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »
"Brower" route around corner. Love that!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
Super cool, thanks.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Aaron McDonald

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
That is really cool!  Thank you for sharing.  I remember looking at the route on Tuff and thinking it looked really run out with sparse protection.

Love the photo of the bolt kit and especially the comment (don't use any aid when bolting)!

HA!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
Thanks JC for scanning and posting the notes and 31 year old topos.