Author Topic: The PCT Volume 25: Grand Views and the Propane Incident  (Read 16520 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
The PCT Volume 25: Grand Views and the Propane Incident
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »
We're home again after an excellent start to the 2015 PCT season.

Pushing back our start by a day turned out to be a good decision. We had wonderful weather up to the end of our third day, and then, just several minutes after finishing, we got rain on the car windshield as we were driving home. And now today it's raining again. Lucky us.

Naturally this trip started where the last one finished. Here we are at the I-80 rest stop gearing up to get going on Sunday morning (the crew includes Sharon, who hiked with us to this point last September, and the Dawson family of Steve, Laura, Alex and Mo the family dog):

During our pre-hike planning I was a little surprised by the number of roads that cross the PCT up in this northern part of the Sierra. And these are mostly really good roads. Although we thought we'd be backpacking a part of this section, a map study closer to the day of departure made it obvious that three day-hikes would be easy (at 15.1, 11.5, and 11.7 miles, these were respectable but very doable distances). So we set up camp at a central point (Jackson Meadows Reservoir) and day hiked (as always, with Vicki's support).

Ever since we finished with the Desolation Wilderness portion of this trail, I've been expecting hikes in the "deep forest" that I seem to think dominates the northern California part of the trail. But on this trip, the first two days were anything but deep forest. And although the third day was mostly forested and view-less, the "oh wow" view we came to just before the end of that day was very gratifying.

The views started less than two miles into the hike at Castle Pass:

After this pass the trail continued fairly level along the western sides of Castle and Basin Peaks. This was very easy hiking; Tricia and Alex were usually out in front moving at a really fast pace:

We were high enough to run into several snow banks on north-facing slopes:

Meadowy canyons with big creeks alternated with gorgeous, open ridge lines with wonderful views in all directions.

We chose one of these ridge lines to stop for lunch, over ten miles into a 15 mile day:

After lunch we made our way into another canyon and then up and along another ridge. The trail here might be younger than similar sections of the PCT farther south (I don't know). I make this speculation because up here the trail did a really good job of staying high on ridges and saddles instead of marching straight up and down every feature in sight as it sometimes does down south (a slight exaggeration there).

So, here we are walking along the saddle near Bear Valley instead of descending into the valley and then climbing out the other side:

This "stay up higher" approach results in longer hikes, but those hikes are physically easier and are more viewful. As an example, we caught an early view of the Sierra Buttes (small and very distant in this first shot). These are an unmissable feature that is just across Highway 49 from the end of this trail section; they are 38 trail miles from I-80:

Here's another view of these impressive peaks from about five miles closer:

The 15 miles seemed to just fly by on this day. Tricia is used to such hiking days, and, it seems that now-ten year old Alex is too; they both led us to a mid afternoon meet-up with Vicki and then a pleasant afternoon and evening in camp:

The kids and dogs spent some of that afternoon playing in the lake. Tricia loved and photographed the sunset:

And finally, a note about the end of our day. As always, we hiked a little way into our next day's hike to ensure that we don't skip a single step of the trail. On this day we did this only to run into this sign (I'm open to interpretations on this one):

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: The PCT Volume 25: Grand Views and the Propane Incident
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
 I'll take a hike with a view on ridges and saddles any day. TFPU. I would like to join you guys and hike a section with the girls along.

(I'm open to interpretations on this one):

The Abominable Snowman passed through the area while suffering from acute gastric issues. Effects of this at different stages of the illness, has caused whole sections of forest to die, especially around Mammoth Lakes. BEWARE OF HUMONGOUS TURDS!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:17:35 AM »
(I'm open to interpretations on this one)

They knew you were coming?
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
I'll take a hike with a view on ridges and saddles any day. TFPU. I would like to join you guys and hike a section with the girls along.

The Abominable Snowman passed through the area while suffering from acute gastric issues. Effects of this at different stages of the illness, has caused whole sections of forest to die, especially around Mammoth Lakes. BEWARE OF HUMONGOUS TURDS!

Glad to see you all had a nice time.

Sorry clink but science trumps legend...

CO2 leaking from faults near Mammoth Mtn causes the tree kills - related to magmatic activity under Long Valley Caldera.

Sierra Buttes are the remains of an ancient island arc that slammed into western North America about 360 million years ago and began the assembling of modern day California.

Tell Tricia she might enjoy reading John McPhee's Assembling California - you might too :)
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:53:38 AM »
Day two started out on Meadow Lake Road courtesy again of my lovely wife:

A mile and a half through forest led gently up to the top of a bald ridge at over 8,200 feet. On the way we saw an unusual juxtaposition; snow plant, which usually grows in deeper forest, growing among mules ear:

At the top of this ridge, two miles into the hike, we could literally see all of PCT section "L." We could see well south and north of it too, as well as seeing for tens and tens of miles to the east and the west:

I have to admit that, as I was taking the photo immediately above, I was humming the song "...the hills are alive with the sound of...." Oh never mind.

While up there we'd also taken an opportunity to play in the long thin strip of snow that graced the north side of this ridge. We didn't know then that this strip of snow would remain visible from most points of the trail north for the next eight or so miles:

The trail stayed high for most of this day's hike too. We had an early view of the now-much-closer Sierra Buttes:

We stayed high and in open terrain. Fields of mules ear and/or sage covered every ridge:

Here's an example shot looking back at that long bald ridge that had all the views (note the unmistakeable strip of snow):

Then, on one north-bound, bald ridge, while I was hiking with Steve, I looked at the various clouds scattered all through the sky. Puffy white balls everywhere just resting in the bright blue. Except for that one up north, the one right on the horizon. That's  a weird looking cloud, all streaked, vertical and jagged:

And then it hit me: "That's no cloud. That's not a cloud at all. That's Mount Lassen!!!" And so it was (zoomed and pixilated, blown up shot):

Notice the three exclamation marks in the quoted portion of my thoughts above? They're justified (and I'm sure Steve would agree). I got pretty darned excited by seeing MOUNT LASSEN from this far south on the PCT. Later, back in camp, Steve used the GPS function on his iPhone to determine that, from the spot on the trail where we'd seen it, Mount Lassen was 91 miles to our north by air. Wow!

More gentle downhill continued now as we closed in on Jackson Meadows Campground (and our camp, and my wife):

The bald ridge with the snow strip way behind us stayed in view (and so did Sharon, cruising along as usual):

These Daddy/Tricia shots are becoming somewhat of a tradition:

Before long we caught our first view of the reservoir:

Closing in now, the last mile and a half was through the forest:

And then we saw Vicki, who'd hiked up to meet us (and, by the point shown in this photo, had hiked back toward camp with us):

A short walk led back to camp:

And that was it for our second day. We said our goodbyes to the Dawsons and Sharon. Our friends had only taken Monday off and our one day delay meant that they had to head home earlier than us. Camp was quiet that evening, and it was also slightly lonely. Campsites that have been filled with good friends become that way once a large portion of the people are gone.

We "remainders" got to bed early that night and slept well, anticipating one more day on this section, and then an end to it tomorrow on Highway 49.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »

They knew you were coming?

Ahem. Ahem. Some of us are listening here  :P

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »

Sorry clink but science trumps legend...

Only in some parts of our country.

Sierra Buttes are the remains of an ancient island arc that slammed into western North America about 360 million years ago and began the assembling of modern day California.

Tell Tricia she might enjoy reading John McPhee's Assembling California - you might too :)

Love the recommendation. I'll see if I can't pick up a copy to read on our next PCT leg.

P.S. We've got a photo from the third day that we took just for you and Roger.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
Only in some parts of our country.

What? You mean cowboys didn't ride dinosaurs?!

Love the recommendation. I'll see if I can't pick up a copy to read on our next PCT leg.

Yes, and remember...this from the guy who hates to read!

P.S. We've got a photo from the third day that we took just for you and Roger.

Geez - you're killin' me - I'm already waiting with baited breath for the Propane Incident!!!

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »
Tricia and I started our third day packed very light and moving fast (and, as is normally the case, Vicki took on the lion's share of packing up camp - maybe I should be posting this on the Supertopo "The Totally Awesome Wife/GF Thread"). We had just under 12 miles to hike to get to Highway 49:

The PCT follows a paved road for 200 yards just past where we'd finished yesterday:

The first half of this hike actually was in deeper forest. Views were rare as we gradually ascended to a low pass and then continued to the switchbacks that lead into Milton Canyon:

In one of the few open sections on this part of the trail we came upon a very interesting meeting of rock types. Two of our very good friends/climbing partners, J.C. and RP3, are geology professors. We took this shot for them (and they should feel free to give us some idea of how the stark contrast - at least in rock color - came to be):

We got one clear view of Jackson Meadows Reservoir. Tricia didn't get it at first when I said "dam." Then she looked over her left shoulder. Thankfully she still finds my attempts at "daddy humor" mildly amusing:

At about six miles into the trip we came to a long set of switchbacks that were to lead us down into Milton Creek. We stopped there for snacks and water:

As we descended the switchbacks the cloud cover went from 5% to 95%. It was warm though, even walking along the creek,  and a few sprinkles would have been welcome:

Milton Creek must have some big flows at some times; all the crossings had bridges. We stopped for lunch at the second bridge (as an indication of how dry 2015 has been, the hikers who took these shots for us were through-hikers - by the end of the first week of June they were at least 300 miles further into a through-hike than is normal, although they did start five weeks earlier than is customary):

At one point on our hike along the creek we emerged from the trees and, wham; there right in front of us were the Sierra Buttes. We'd moved more than ten miles closer to them since we'd seen them last:

Another bridge over Haypress Creek led us to the last stretch of the trail to the highway:

We crossed the North Yuba River (apparently that's the name; it's not the North Fork of the Yuba River):

Half a mile later we came to the highway and to Vicki (she's always there):

This third day seemed just right to us. We felt "broken in" for the season; ready for some rest and then another, longer and more intense session during the last week of this month.

We'll pick up the story again then.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
Oh, and one more shot from the first evening, one that Steve took that I really like, but which I didn't have on my computer to post earlier:

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
Damn, I'm getting old and forgetful. I forgot to post this one, another PCT sign, this time showing someone's sense of humor:

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Geez - you're killin' me - I'm already waiting with baited breath for the Propane Incident!!!/quote]

Might be in sequel 6.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »
Hmmmmm...without being there to see the rocks it is hard to say what type of contact that is - likely the plutonics with some country rock - which could be a lot of different stuff considering your proximity to the Buttes. Based strictly on the dark color maybe some volcanics or maybe some metamorphics if you're near hwy 49 - but again - without being there...

I love the last picture of T walking on to the bridge and Alex is stylin' round the campfire.

That sign is great although shouldn't it be tea?

I'm with clink - spill!

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »

I'm with clink - spill!

Yeah, the propane incident. I think I'll let Steve tell about that one. I can "spill" two things though.

First, after it was all done, Vicki observed that, had the incident happened to me instead of near me, the blue streak of swearing would still be going on. And while she often exaggerates, there might be a kernel (all right, a big kernel) of truth to that one.

I don't think I heard Steve say a single swear word. He is, without a doubt, a better man than I.

Second, here's the way it looked afterward (that is not a wood fire, and no, no-one got seriously hurt):

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Wth?!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »

Hmmmmm...without being there to see the rocks it is hard to say what type of contact that is - likely the plutonics with some country rock - which could be a lot of different stuff considering your proximity to the Buttes. Based strictly on the dark color maybe some volcanics or maybe some metamorphics if you're near hwy 49 - but again - without being there...

J.C., trying to put your comment into "I'm-not-a-scientist English:" I can understand not knowing what rock is what (you haven't seen it). But "contact zone?" Two different types of rock (presumably from two different or even very different sources) being moved toward or alongside each other?

"Country rock?"

The photo was taken about six miles from the Sierra Buttes.

Any ideas what the white colored rock is?

(And as always, thanks for letting us pick your brain on these types of questions.)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
No problem.
A contact is just where one rock type contacts another rock type.
It's pretty cool when you can see where that actually happens - since those zones are often obscured by vegetation or debris.

Country rock is a term used for any pre-existing rock when tracing geologic events/history.

Without some samples or a really good close up pic it is hard to guess at what might be up there.
Hand-sized samples are best - but that could get heavy :)
Maybe get T to try the macro function on her camera and/or make a sketch of the rock's texture - taking note of crystals or grains, layers, size and distribution of crystals or grains, colors, hardness (try scratching with a pocket knife) - these are just a few aspects - rock I.D. ranges from fairly straightforward to downright complicated. It helps to carry a rock hammer, pocket knife, small acid bottle (for marble and limestone) and a 10X hand lens (jewelers loupe). Even with all that it can still be easy to get it wrong!

You're in some wild territory there geologically since an island arc/volcanic rocks (the Sierra Buttes) slammed into rocks of the old continental margin - sedimentary seafloor rocks (the Shoo Fly Complex) and built some mountains - the Antler Orogeny...I know, I know - there he goes again :)

Probably good I wasn't on the hike - I'd make terrible time being distracted.
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_rock_(geology)

Interesting; I'd never heard the phrase before (other then when listening to the Eagles and similar bands of course).

J.C.'s proposed solution might help me too. If I make Tricia carry samples out for John to comment on, it might slow her down to an easier hiking pace. Win win?

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to add to Clink - we'd love to have any or all of you join us for any of our PCT "sessions." One of the nice things about this summer's plans is that the driving to the PCT is going to stay just about the same in terms of time to drive (since the trail gets closer to northbound Highway 99 and is easier and easier to access from it the farther north we go). Let us know if/when that might work out.

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Let us know if/when that might work out.

Great Pics - thanks for sharing - looking forward to joining you guys at the end of the month for a few days.

I sent you an email to discuss dates.