Author Topic: MoM weekend 2016  (Read 56252 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Re: MoM weekend 2016
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Bucky getting high in the saddle

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
Larry on Nit Wit

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
MJ saving everyone else's elbows from having to hand drill

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
I approached from the South Side of the reservoir then cut back right toward the 'inlet' when you go uphill at the big rock, which is not the way to go out to Maniac's and Nit Wit.
Best to go up by the big rock, continue upstream on the old road, then cut back right up to Flue Fire etc. and up over the ridge. Or, just approach from the North Side of the reservoir. Curious to see how long it took Brad and Co to get back to the car, going by way of the Anvil.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
How were people with multiple "individual" sites instead of one group site?

I felt like it was a better arrangement; next year we'll perhaps try to serve that entire first loop. I've never liked those group sites where you've got to move up and down the embankment into the "bottomlands."

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
I think that we should all do an FA with beanolar. We'll call the route "Infectious Laugh."

Am I the only one who can't help but smile (or laugh myself) when I hear her laugh?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
You will also have to put one up for her partner in crime and call it The Instigator .
Causing trouble when not climbing.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Munge, I was contemplating how much of my vast knowledge to divulge.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »
I approached from the South Side of the reservoir then cut back right toward the 'inlet' when you go uphill at the big rock, which is not the way to go out to Maniac's and Nit Wit.
Best to go up by the big rock, continue upstream on the old road, then cut back right up to Flue Fire etc. and up over the ridge. Or, just approach from the North Side of the reservoir. Curious to see how long it took Brad and Co to get back to the car, going by way of the Anvil.

Last summer we had been approaching by crossing the res earlier and following a social trail along the edge of the water - that was when the water was much lower. We followed up the dry tributary from there to Maniac's and then up the hill to the Knee. I could not see that shore trail this weekend. Also not sure how overgrown the long grass has become along that tributary and Noal said he's seen rattlers along that stretch - great place to hide and you're squeezed into a deep, narrow trench - gnaaaa! You could take the hillside trail past the Watchmen to get there too but I try to avoid that trail!

I actually enjoy going out along the CCC grade and then cutting up the ridge across from Chimney Sweep/Flue Fire

Brad said they got back about 20 minutes ahead of us but we got stuck by "traffic" at the steps down from the res and then stopped again at the Monolith to gab and pick up Amber - so we were not making good time. We were also going slower because Rosie was with us and we were making sure she was doing okay. I doubt what they did was any faster.

Nice shot of Larry following me on Nit-Wit by the way - I bet he would enjoy seeing that  ;D
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
It was great to see all the folks who made it and missed those who could not. Good knob sling'n on a couple new routes and loads of fun climbing at Deep Groove and the Old Dude. Hearing Alex's ideas about designing rope out of fishing line was particularly enjoyable.

Agreed. It was a blast. I got to do one horrible route, some not so bad routes, a fun new FA and two older routes I had been putting off - plus See Alice Pinnacle is now a reality.

I was a little despondent after having one of my found/new routes rejected by the emperor but I have a good shot of him climbing it and he did agree that the move(s) were 5.4 - besides - two out of three pinnacles ain't bad ;D

Aaron and I had quite the adventure seeing two rattlers while hiking to and from See Alice. It may have been the same one but the second location was quite a distance from the initial encounter. Whether it was the same one or two different ones it/they was/were coiled and rattling loud and long!

I had a great time hanging with everybody and actually had a hard time driving back into more civilized digs. Maybe I was meant to be a dirt bag? NOT! ;D :D :o

Yesterday we marched over the blazing saddle and way too far down - to bag obscurity - and then I managed to avoid another encounter with the humping lizards and merely watched and took photos from a distance of those less fortunate. Julius got to end his day on some chunky goodness  8)
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
good times
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »

good times

Except that, because of your work schedule, we missed you there. So, good times minus one.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
Well I did get to root around in the mud and crud on Sunday.  I had choss everywhere by the end of the day.  Did miss the festivities.  Will try and make it next time.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
Yesterday we marched over the blazing saddle and way too far down - to bag obscurity 8)

Temp was 92 at 2:30 yesterday - felt hotter in the sun.
We think Kat's illin' Saturday night may have been sun poisoning.

Forecast for Friday is horseshit - last time they called 60% it dropped .01 and I sat out all weekend watching the gauges.
That is NOT happening again.

This is for you clink  :-*
Here's Notch-O-Libre from a crappy angle with Brad for scale  ;D :D ::)

and a quality pic of me the 2nd time I freed it using only my hands and feet ;D

One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
nice pile of mud

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2016, 04:33:22 AM »
This is for you clink  Kiss
Here's Notch-O-Libre from a crappy angle with Brad for scale  Grin Cheesy Roll Eyes

A dedicated pic thread of "Brad shown for scale" should certainly be started on respectable climbing and hiking forums.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »

Tricia on Perne in a Gyre

JC leading Nit-Wit Knob

Julius leading p2 Humping Lizards

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
Except that, because of your work schedule, we missed you there. So, good times minus one.

Make that two - nelkins isn't getting away that easy  ;D :D ;)

nice pile of mud

It is actually fun but some people are evidently snobs  :o ::) :'( :yikes: :crazy:

A dedicated pic thread of "Brad shown for scale" should certainly be started on respectable climbing and hiking forums.

Not until I have a pic of you bouldering through the Notch-O  :D
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »

nice pile of mud

I'm pretty sure that he meant that as a compliment (no snobbery involved).

JC w KC redux

« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that he meant that as a compliment (no snobbery involved).

I took it as a compliment, your highness  >:D :eeeek: :yesnod:
One wheel shy of normal