Author Topic: El Nino or El Diablo...  (Read 61819 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: El Nino or El Diablo...
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
 Cool pic JC. That is our commute to hwy 17. The SC mountains are a headstrong geological child. Beware of the tantrums.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »

Cool pic JC. That is our commute to hwy 17. The SC mountains are a headstrong geological child. Beware of the tantrums.

Since you'll be stuck at home this weekend it should be easy to remember to set your clock back 100 years today.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »
Since you'll be stuck at home this weekend it should be easy to remember to set your clock back 100 years today.

Have you no self control, oh mighty resister of impulses?

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »

Speaking of resisting impulses - Kat and I thought about going to the crud today but came to our senses after breakfast.
We took a ride down to Seacliff to take a gander at the Palo Alto aka The Cement Ship after seeing some posts on facecrack that it had been severely tweaked by storm waves over night. Damn impressive.
Kat said the waves were 25 feet yesterday - should have gone to the cliff overlooks then...
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
Speaking of resisting impulses - Kat and I thought about going to the crud today but came to our senses after breakfast.
We took a ride down to Seacliff to take a gander at the Palo Alto aka The Cement Ship after seeing some posts on facecrack that it had been severely tweaked by storm waves over night. Damn impressive.
Kat said the waves were 25 feet yesterday - should have gone to the cliff overlooks then...

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
Wow!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
 They lost a couple folks off the rocks in the Monterey area this weekend. Road cleared and power was back on this afternoon. Another storm tonight.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
They lost a couple folks off the rocks in the Monterey area this weekend. Road cleared and power was back on this afternoon. Another storm tonight.

Unfortunately it seems like people get swept away from Lover's Point and some of the other granodioritic outcrops around Pacific Grove/17 mile Drive whenever there are storms. The ocean is a powerful and unforgiving force.

Glad you guys are back in action.
Hunker down for the next round and then it should be over for another week.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
Wow!

The ship split in half with the storms last year.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

A question came up about the difference between concrete and cement. Technically the Palo Alto is a concrete ship with an interesting history. Maybe the county will decide that it merits repair as a historical landmark, reinforce it with steel and cement it back together  :lol:

The primary difference between concrete and cement is that concrete is a composite material made of water, aggregate, and cement. Cement is a very fine powder made of limestone and other minerals, which absorbs water and acts as a binder to hold the concrete together. While cement is a construction material in its own right, concrete cannot be made without cement. The two terms often are incorrectly used interchangeably, but concrete and cement are distinctly separate products.

Cement

Cement is made from limestone, calcium, silicon, iron, and aluminum, among other ingredients. This mixture is heated in large kilns to about 2,700°F (1,482°C) to form a product known as clinkers, which roughly resemble marbles. These are ground into a powder and gypsum is added, creating the gray flour-like substance known as cement. When water is added to cement, it triggers a chemical process that allows it to harden.

I think if we add water to clinker he will simply be all wet  :lol: :yesnod: :lol: :crazy: :out: :prrr:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »
 JC, funny you are talking concrete. Harry and I just threw 30 bags into a bad spot on our road on the way back from a grocery run. 30 bags cost us $81 and change.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2017, 09:14:34 PM »

The two terms often are incorrectly used interchangeably, but concrete and cement are distinctly separate products.

Just like the two terms engine and motor.

clinkers, which roughly resemble marbles...

I would love to disagree. But that would be so...disagreeable.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
Nope Santa Cruz politics mean they will debate the issue until the ship is rubble.
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
JC, funny you are talking concrete. Harry and I just threw 30 bags into a bad spot on our road on the way back from a grocery run. 30 bags cost us $81 and change.

I'll be surprised if you don't lose that with the rain today. :incazzato: :madmax: :madman:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »
It's got to be pretty bad for us to use the word "hammered" in reference to the weather at our house (unlike Clink's home, our roads tend to stay in one place).

I think the time has come with this storm though. We're getting hammered (although so far the winter of 2010/11 was worse):

- We're now at feet of snow at the house; we're literally running out of room to which to snow blow the snow (it's nearly six feet deep with blown snow where I usually park).

- The internet and email are barely working at home (weather will do that) and down here at the office it's really slow too (pretty unusual for the weather to affect internet speed down here).

- I snow-blew the driveway for the fourth time in three days this morning.

- With a two-hour school delay I was able to get Tricia and two neighbor kids to school by 9:50. As we drove up, the principal was standing in heavily falling snow, at the school entrance, telling everyone that school was canceled for the day. School busses weren't making it to the school, so we picked up another kid ("Tricia's Gavin") from the market where the bus had stopped near Soulsbyville. All four kids are in my conference room waiting until I'm done with a few critical things here so I can get them home (I'm eating and waiting for Ellen to finish what I need to work on, so don't get smart about me posting here).

-  Although it was snowing here in Sonora, that's finally stopped. For a while there was an inch of snow on the ground, semi-panicking the people who don't drive very high much.

Still, we've got plenty of available firewood, plenty of snow-blower gas, enough food and we love living on this mountain. Yeehaw  ;D  ;D

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Trees happen.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
Trees happen.

Explanation please - unless you are TRYING to annoy the crap out of me.

Definitely totaled.

Headed up Condor Gulch manana.

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2017, 01:40:00 AM »
Explanation please - unless you are TRYING to annoy the crap out of me.

My favorite pastime!

Explorer vs madrone. Fortunately we paid a few bucks a month for a $100 deductible comp insurance.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
Omg, that's your rig?
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud