Author Topic: Desert Rats: Joshua Tree in the Winter With Bill  (Read 45229 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Desert Rats: Joshua Tree in the Winter With Bill
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
I'm down here in Joshua Tree with Bill; it's our fifteenth week-long, winter trip to climb here over 18 years (we skipped three years when Tioga Pass Resort was open in the winter and he was working there; we especially skipped the year he was up there and barely survived riding a 1,000 foot avalanche down Ellery Bowl while out cross country skiing).

What a great tradition. Bill's a certified desert rat, spending weeks and weeks every year camping, climbing, hiking and, really, living in the desert. I usually take a day or so to slip back into desert rat mode, but I do it every time. Actually, it takes me that day too to slip out of the "fast" life that we tend to live in, and slow down to Bill's pace. It's good for me.

We're on a rest day today, a late breakfast at Crossroads before getting a shower. Four days of incredible weather and abraded hands, and we're spent for a bit. And then four more days. Gotta keep the focus on cracks.

Photos will have to wait until I get home Tuesday (leaving here on Sunday and then spending a few days with Dawsons on the San Diego County portion of the PCT before rolling home).

I've got to admit that, while I love these desert trips, Pinns still captures my highest interest.

See you all at the end of the month.

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
Re: Desert Rats: Joshua Tree in the Winter With Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Nice brad and very jealous.  Enjoy
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks for checking in dude. Sounds like you guys are having fun. clink and I explored the right chasm a bit at Hanging Valley. Nice and cool back there. We weren't prepared to climb up it. We crawled back out and went around and up to where you, Kat and I tried to descend the 3rd class that wet weekend. It was all dry and I was glad I knew the way. We managed to climb all the way back down. clink agreed it was 4th class.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »
Yeah, I think it would be irresponsible to call it third class

I just talked to Katie, and it looks like some of her Excursion Club friends are going to join us here tomorrow! Not including her unfortunately.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Enjoy JT, cool place.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »
How are your hands doing? Cherry red finger tips? Any scrapes or cuts?

Well, I'm jealous. Have a great time, Brad!
Inch by inch, I will get there.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »
I've got to admit that, while I love these desert trips, Pinns still captures my highest interest.

Same here, have fun Brad!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
Today's theme was "how hard can 5.9 get?" But then it is Josh. Like they say: you can lead 5.11 at Red Rocks, or hang on 5.10 at Josh.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
Over 15 years, a week at a time, we two have done hundreds of climbs together now. I wouldn't give up these trips for anything:

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
Nice!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »
good times

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
There isn't any thread for this document, and it's not worth its own. So this thread, one about other-than-Pinnacles climbing and about my own climbing history, will have to do.

I found a page from David Harden's 1999 climbing journal in my desk today while looking for another document. As I read the March 18th entry, now nearly 17 years later, I could feel again the crashing impact and, briefly, re-lived the writhing in agony (yes the phrase has a real meaning). Maybe I should be in a wheelchair. Maybe I'm tough:

It took me 10 weeks then just to be able to walk again (that is, to barely walk again; much longer to walk normally).

Let's all continue to be careful out there.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »
 Should have saved this for Easter, burial and resurrection. It could also be a Christmas theme as the Virgin birth may be speculated to have involved a separated pelvis, but that's stretching it.

Glad you're still with us and I will be extra careful. I'm remembering the last bit of rock you were negotiating two weeks ago.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
Glad you made it too.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 01:09:08 AM »
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »
My friend Chuck saw the copy of Dave's journal on Flickr and commented.

His comment made me realize that I should point out that the first piece, the one that slowed me down some and then failed, was a really micro, brass stopper. I hadn't intended that it would do much, since its size alone made it basically a body weight placement.

The two pieces that blew the rock out were bigger and "good" in that they were well seated in the crack. I commented to Ron and Dave about the tiny, tiny little hairline through the rock near where those two pieces were. But then I realized I had to either use them as pro or back down. In hindsight, maybe backing down would have been better  ::)

Yo-so-mighty

• Lichen It
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
I just wanted to post up and say that Geoff and I had a fantastic time up at J-tree with Brad, Joel and Bill. Even with frigid winds Brad was able to direct us to a crag where it was possible to climb in t-shirts the first day. The second day found us on Dappled Mare, a 3 pitch 5.8 that was an absolute blast.
At camp we were able to sit at the feet of Brad and learn the ways of a desert rat. Thank you Sensai. I am proud to say that he gave both of us a desert rat grade (drg) of 4.9 out of 10. Really high marks for a first timer. He told me specifically that as a lawyer, first impressions are very important. So if he had time to reflect on that grade and possibly post on this forum a different grade... say a .9, just to ignore him. It's the first impressions that count.
Even with the cold weather, a fantastic time was had by all. Good enough that I would like to make this an annual event. Possibly bring my 5th wheel... I can't imagine what that would do to my drg.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Those desert rats have holes through all their layers. So to get above an 8 you have to get skin contact scratching your ass when the temps are in the teens.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
At camp we were able to sit at the feet of Brad and learn the ways of a desert rat.
Thank you Sensai. I am proud to say that he gave both of us a desert rat grade (drg) of 4.9 out of 10.

So I guess you were unable to snatch the choss pebble from his hand chollahopper  :lol: :yikes:
One wheel shy of normal