Author Topic: Spring Break, 2016  (Read 16040 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Spring Break, 2016
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:15 AM »
We tried for three of the "private property" California County high points and got two of them. And then we joined the Cooks in the Alabama Hills for five days of desert hanging out and climbing.

Part One:

Since 2005 I've been trying (fairly casually) to summit each of the 56 California County high points (for 58 counties; there are two high points, including Whitney, that are each the high point of two different counties). This is commonly attempted variation on the 50 United States state high points goal.

Several of these county high points are on private property, and each such has it's own access issues (usually a tangled mess varying from "no way" to "OK every once in a while"). Tactics vary from trying to get permission, to night-time ascents, to just going and hoping to not be seen. Tricia and I opted for the third tactic on this trip, thinking too that off-and-on rain would likely help us avoid any human contact. All three high points we attempted were in the central, western part of the state. One of two we got done has a reputation for being the hardest to get to of all the private high points. One of the successes involved a 13 mile round trip, and the other an 11.5 mile, up and down hike on difficult terrain.

The first success (the high point itself is in the sun):

Our entire 13 mile hike was on fire roads:

High point number two required hiking way up and down again and again in this type of terrain (note the rocks; they're tough hiking when one has to do, in part, miles of them through tall grass):

Here it is, still in the distance:

At and coming down from the summit:

On the way out we got pounding rain, finished the hike just as Vicki pulled back up to the start point, hopped in, and drove away:

Tricia took some shots too, but she hasn't downloaded them yet.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: Spring Break, 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »
Part Two:

I don't take very many climbing shots on routine, "cragging" trips any more. Too many "butt shots" and "head shots" result. But J.C. and K.C. took some and will likely add to this collection. I think they especially took shots of Tricia's brilliant and smooth lead yesterday of a 98 foot high, sustained, 5.7 face climb (my palms haven't been that sweaty because of a lead in a long time). Tricia had her camera too.

Meanwhile, my favorites start with this shot of our campsite with a small mountain range in the background:

I usually get up at first light on these trips (especially when the nights are long). Here I caught the moon-set at first light over Mount Whitney:

Here, four out of the five beautiful girls in my life prepare breakfast:

Meanwhile J.C. and Halifax engaged in "the great mooch out" (J.C. is really, really tough - he didn't give her even a scrap):

Smiles in this morning view to the east:

And finally, our youngest punk turns 14 years old this coming Friday (yes, no fooling, she was born on April 1st). So isn't it about time to get her used to driving?

When I emailed the second shot above to older sister Katie, her only reply was: "Good thing she's watching the road...."

To be continued/supplemented....

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
Fun trip all around. Wow....kids still growing like a bean
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
Cool trip. was surprised to see T driving.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
nice work on those harder to reach objectives!

Miss the Bamas. Mrs Munge was just talking about going again and how much we enjoy the place.

Looking forward to more pics, especially of T's lead.

SHE'S DRIVING NOW?????!!!!!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
This shot from Tricia's set of photos shows the initial steep uphill cross-country on the way out to our second high point:

Starting to drop down into a valley with that second high point in the background:

A fascinating volcanic plug (?) visible from the hike to the second high point:

Texting Vicki about pick up timing from the summit block:

The sticky, gooey, miserable mud that clung to our shoes for much of the hike out:

And this final shot from her high points series showing a fun sign we saw while driving out to the third high point (the one we did not get to summit):

AND YES,  SHE'S DRIVING NOW (AT LEAST ON UNCROWDED DESERT ROADS).

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
:)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
More of Tricia's photos, starting with this unique view of driving into the crag:

Eastern Sierra morning light:

K.C. leading:

Vicki looking on:

And, bonus, this shot of... what?

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
show me smore!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »
 Tricia driving and leading. Cool :)

Wish I could have been there with you all, especially the trespassing. Great pics.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:23 AM »

We were at Dominican Hospital recently and there was a crucifix above the bed. A man dressed as a priest was visiting people. A man dressed as a security guard was handing out visitor passes. People dressed as doctors and nurses were giving excellent care to folks in all stages of bad shape.

After 5 days we left in much better shape than we entered. I din't check out a single credential or read the thesis that the security guard must have written prior to allowing him his trusted post, but I do believe in Dominican Hospital.

The crucifix above the bed gave me an idea to make exorcisms easier. Throw a good seance next door, which is like a party for spirits. Then in all but the most extreme cases all the priest would have to do is slam and bar the door after it(they) leave(s) the afflicted.

I also advised my daughters that when breaking up with a schizophrenic, to say "It's not you, it's them".

Considering all that transpired the week before, we had a good family time on Easter weekend. My Dad turned 75!

Next year we hopefully will be Eastsiding it.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
I really like the "looking through the tent" shot and the one of Kat on Burnt Bacon and Beans - you both have an eye for the camera.

Yesterday Kat was convinced the routes I was looking at by The Mare were not on Blazing Saddle and it turned out she was right. The double crack I was pointing out has been done but I had forgotten the name. It is Pony Express 5.5.
Brad - It turns out that you could have knocked out 8 new routes that are not in the book simply by walking from camp.
There are still two in that batch that I need to do. Next time...
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »

Brad - It turns out that you could have knocked out 8 new routes that are not in the book simply by walking from camp.

Like you said, next time. Unlike some places, most of the rock in them hills isn't going anywhere.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 06:20:46 PM »
Post some of dem pics I sent ya brah  ;D

Gives us a zoom of Elephant Hunting - I mean how often do you get to climb bullet holes! :o
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »

Post some of dem pics I sent ya brah  ;D

Gives us a zoom of Elephant Hunting - I mean how often do you get to climb bullet holes! :o

They are your photos, don't you want to post them?

And yeah, the route Elephant Hunting is unique in a sad way: the 5.10b climbing is only possible by using bullet scars in the rock. Here's a shot of me leading with L.V.S. belaying (the "trunk" of the elephant can be seen as can a whole machine gun's worth of bullet holes - as J.C. so eloquently put it):

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »
They are your photos, don't you want to post them?

I'm in Hell trying to update everything.  >:D
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »
There is a quarry near Portland that has some similar climbing. 

Nice pic, area looks cool.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Here are some shots from our trip.

Tricia leads Burnt Bacon and Beans 5* on the Totally Noobular Tower

Trica and Kat on the summit of Hammerhead 6*

Tricia leads Rotten Bananas 7****
This is perhaps the best and definitely the longest 7 in the Hills.
This was one of those priceless moments people talk about.

T on Rotten Bananas from the front.

And a closeup for effect

One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
great shots JC! 

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
great shots JC! 

Thanks dood. I got Brad on Back in the Saddle - actually he forced me to follow it late on the first day  :D
One wheel shy of normal