Author Topic: The PCT Volume 31: The Yin and the Yang  (Read 13021 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: the PCT Volume 31: The Yin and the Yang
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
Tuesday, July 12:

We started our last day with breakfast again at the Seiad Cafe. What the locals had told us was true, their food was good (and the locals were very friendly too).

We drove up to Cook and Green Pass (last night's end point) expecting a longer but easier hike today. And it was. Warm uphill for three miles and only 1,300 feet would lead us to a long ridge that we would then follow north for many miles:

On the north-bound ridge the hiking was really easy and, in several clear areas, the views were forever:

We saw a mix of old and new style PCT signs (here's a really old old-style):

Looking back south along the ridge we hiked including and past White and Black Mountains (Red Butte, which we passed yesterday shown too):

We saw Shasta, of course:

We made good time, although more damned fallen trees required occasional work-arounds:

Tricia did her "selfies:"

And then, near the end of the long ridge we came to one clear area and I saw what I'd hoped for all day. I'd been looking south in the area to the right (from our perspective) of Shasta. Most of the day there was a big part of the Marble Mountains right where I thought I should look. Then, finally, we came out of some forest and we could clearly see Mount Shasta and (relatively) tiny little Black Butte to its right. And there, just right of Black Butte, was Lassen Peak, barely visible. I gotta think that this is the last view of Lassen that we will get from the PCT (and I remember how excited I was last summer to get my first view of it from the south!):

The rest of the hike was also easy. We found a long series of unique trail ducks (given their size I'd almost call them cairns) marking the last couple miles of trail:

Vicki met us at Wards Fork Gap in the early evening:

Six dirt roads come together at Wards Fork Gap. Most of them can be seen in this shot, which, more critically, also shows the PCT (near a tiny sign between the two dirt roads leading away from us in this shot):

We walked that section of PCT several feet out and, even though we could almost smell Oregon, we called it a day and started on our (now long) way home. We had a great time and we're looking forward to getting back in early August for at least one more 2016 trip.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
I like the twin muddy red dog buttes paired with the Red Buttes photo (also twin peaks), the deployment of the orange T for one day, T's selfie the last day and what looks like a trail duck made of a pile of schist at the end of CA.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »

...and what looks like a trail duck made of a pile of schist at the end of CA.

Oh my God, geologist humor!

Intelligent geologist humor, yes. But I thought it only an incredible rumor that geologists could even smile. Much less make wise cracks  :P   :P

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »
So, now we have to wait a while.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Yep, and we do too. I'm really looking forward to our August trip.

I spent some time with PCT maps yesterday. I was realistic in my earlier estimates; if all goes as planned, in August we'll make it to the south edge of Crater Lake National Park. That's well into Oregon. We'll have time for an ascent of Mount McLoughlin too, that volcanic peak we saw from the trail in June. It's over 9,000 feet high and requires only six extra miles to the summit and back. Much of the rest of the hiking looks like it will be beautiful, but there won't be nearly as much upping and downing as there has been so far this year.

I'm going to enjoy seeing more of Oregon.

Meanwhile, I'm a bachelor for 10 days; Tricia and Vicki are gone to that Girl Scout backpacking camp (Tricia with Rosie's group, Vicki mostly helping in camp and helping teach the youngest girls some techniques and ideas). I think I like not being a bachelor (a lot).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: The PCT Volume 31: The Yin and the Yang
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
All right, we are off like a herd of turtles. For an eight hour drive (for those of you of a certain age, perhaps that drive is better than a "three hour cruise?").

Four of us are on our way (we've got Alex Dawson with us for the first half of the trip). Sharon will join us starting Friday. The only downer (and I think I can say this here) is that K.C. and J.C. won't be able to join us this season (we really like hanging out with you guys)  :(

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
Goog luck Skipper.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
Bon Voyage  :smilewinkgrin:

signed,

the Professor
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
The view from our campsite at Mount Ashland is astounding. Heading out to hike now.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »
The view from the top of Mount McLouglin was worth the extra 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Thirty five more miles to Crater Lake National Park. No rest days yet; getting a little tired.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
wow, nice progress
Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
Nice!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
Feeling like a mule?
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
The view from the top of Mount McLouglin was worth the extra 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Thirty five more miles to Crater Lake National Park. No rest days yet; getting a little tired.

Thanks for checking in.

If you are tired, I'd be dead.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
Running low on ibuprofen, band aids, and mole skin. One more, 17.2 mile hike will bring us to Highway 62 in the south part of Crater Lake National Park, where we'd hoped to finish the season (that would make 350.0 miles this summer).