Author Topic: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)  (Read 446865 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2016, 03:00:49 AM »
 Water stash was for the parched summer dweller's use, although that particular stash I thought might be consumed by the resident Meanderthal.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »
Water stash was for the parched summer dweller's use, although that particular stash I thought might be consumed by the resident Meanderthal.

I hope they ran out on the way back and drank from the reservoir  :devildevil: :ciappa:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »

Kat leads Call of the Crud 5.5 with a long way to go

I did not get the full impact of Kat fussing at me about almost running out of rope every time I climbed up Call of the Crud, until I belayed her on the climb. We were using a half rope, which ends up being perfect!

Looking down Here's Mud in Your Eye 5.8** from above the last bolt.

I managed to get all of the bolts/draws in this shot. The fact that they look only inches apart from each other shows how steep the climb is. Love it! :yesnod:

Kat takes a run up just below the last bolt. Three star quality for sure. The only thing it lacks is greater length. Does size really matter? :ihih:

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
Fun pics.

Max

• Cobble Crimpers
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
Looks fun! Where are those routes?
When in doubt, run it out!

JC w KC redux

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
Looks fun! Where are those routes?

Come to the PCAD in 5 weeks and find out  :yesnod: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »
Took my first leader fall during our quest for mud this weekend and I screamed like a little girl. (Just like Brad)  ;D

JC w KC redux

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
Got a treat this weekend.
Kat took Friday off and we continued our quest for mud.

Friday we climbed Mud Diamond (clink is jealous since it was my 3rd time). :ihih:

From the Mud Diamond anchor we did a 4th class route 110 feet to the summit of the formation.

The Walking Mud 4th Class
Description preview: For experienced Mudders this route will likely be a walk in the park. For the inexperienced it may be a horror show.
The other option is to Fear the Walking Mud and rappel from the Mud Diamond anchor.

Up next, Kat took her first leader fall on Shoo Fly Slab after a hold broke just past the second bolt  :'( :-* :yikes:

After getting our fill of crud, we got a new route started (3 bolts), had a pleasant evening camping and finished the new route yesterday (2 more bolts and a 2 bolt anchor).

Drilling bolt 3 on Squeaky Clean Mud 5.6**

Beanolar joined us yesterday for a few routes. I led Prairie Falcon to get warmed up.
The gals seemed to have reach issues on the climb (oops) :devildevil: :ihih:,
Beanolar stepped up and led Fledgling and Here's Mud in Your Eye and then ran 6! laps on HMIYE with her micro traxion setup while Kat and I finished the new route.

Beanolar leading Fledgling

Beanolar leading Here’s Mud in Your Eye  

We saw a couple of the kids from CSUMB (Fletcher and Connie) in the parking lot on the way out. They were fired up about the upcoming PCAD. There will be some serious fun to be had on all the new routes after we get some trail work done!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
Cool Beanolar. KC, quit breaking holds and I am jealous I missed Squeaky.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
Cool routes guys!!! Nice n cool in the shade. I only broke a sweat on the first bolt of that 5.6. JC's new nickname is "Reachy John".

Also I found a bit in the mud (clink's fat head?). Reachy John has it. Pls pay me back by adding a lower bolt to that route.  ;D

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
KC, ignore Clink's advice and break whatever you like. It saves me the trouble.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
Pls pay me back by adding a lower bolt to that route.

Nope, there are plenty of well protected new routes. I like the mix.

Took my first leader fall during our quest for mud this weekend and I screamed like a little girl. (Just like Brad)  Grin

Brads yell was like an angry troll or Cyclops when his eye got poked. He was pretty pissed but stuck the landing on the slab below. You kept him off the ground KC!

Friday we climbed Mud Diamond (clink is jealous since it was my 3rd time). Ihih

Love that route.

Insert Quote
KC, ignore Clink's advice and break whatever you like. It saves me the trouble.

When are you Mudding next Waldo?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »

Took my first leader fall during our quest for mud this weekend and I screamed like a little girl. (Just like Brad)  ;D

What, you thought I'd miss that you little turd? You are as busted as busted can get.

I don't f#$%ing fall at Pinnacles and I only scream like a little girl for rattlesnakes.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »
Missed the Mud today, but got to climb with the geologist.

OK, maybe not THE geologist, but at least it was the other one.

We established four new routes on Forefather's Wall: two crack and knob, gear protected 5.6 routes, a 5.11b layaway with one gut-buster move that I could not do, and a three out of three star 5.11c that I'll bet I can redpoint (although I think I'd fall off the first crux two out of three tries; that just means I have to try to lead it three times, right?).

As great as a climbing day can get (without being on mud).

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
a 5.11b layaway

?? Shopping before payday?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »

?? Shopping before payday?

That's pretty funny - I'd never put those two together like that before.

No, layaway, as in one is pulling hard and leaning away from the pull, but not doing a full lieback.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

Missed the Mud today.

We established four new routes: two crack and knob, gear protected 5.6 routes

Can't say I missed it, as the temps hit 104 today and I was already there Monday, Wednesday, Friday and yesterday.
It was only 101 yesterday.

Mmmmmm...Mongo like 5.6 routes but not like long drive  :nono: :prrr: :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »

Mmmmmm...Mongo like 5.6 routes but not like long drive  :nono: :prrr: :lol:

Yes, but Mongo like the hospitality once long drive is done. Get Mongos's butt up here for next weekend?

JC w KC redux

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2016, 09:52:13 AM »
Waldo came out and climbed some routes with me and Kat on Saturday. He led Call of the Crud and he and Kat followed Squeaky Clean Mud and TRed Here’s Mud in Your Eye.

Waldo in the vicinity of bolt 3 while leading Call of the Crud 5.5

After he said adios, I bolted the line right of Here's Mud in Your Eye - two bolts compared to HMIYE's 4. It leads you to standing on the biggest perched lodestone I know of anywhere in Pinns to clip bolt 2. Mudster's Ball 5.7* A decent addition but obviously not as enticing as HMIYE since no one took a shot at the coveted 2nd ascent yesterday. Who wants to snake Brad? The line was originally TRed by clink and at that time we called it Senor Skid Marcos. It may actually produce the requisite brown spots for someone leading at the grade. I told clink I was going to climb to the ball for the first bolt but decided that no one would probably ever want to repeat it if I did that. It had a nice stance for the first bolt (albeit hairy to get there) but no way to let go to drill. I set up some slings with adjustable daisies and half-stood, half-hung to drill bolt 1. I have been wondering why my shoulder has been bothering me lately.

Here is some perspective

Here is the ball

And another for perspective

Climbed Squeaky Clean Mud with JC, as he says, it was stupid fun. Steep 5.6.

Aaron, Bee, Paul and I climbed Mud Diamond, sweet rock. They also climbed Prairie Falcon, Imprint, Here's Mud in your Eye and Bathing Beauty. Aaron and JC also wandered up Craig's route, said it was good.

Many of these are north facing, great for warm days but cold in the wind yesterday.

Aaron, clink, Paul and Bee came out to the mud yesterday to enjoy some select menu choices. Maybe I should design a mud a la carte tour for the PCAD?

Aaron got things going by jumping right on Imprint 5.8*

B stepped up and proved it can be done by those under 6 feet. She had a time getting that first clip but she worked it out. Her left hand is just below the bolt. Can you say flash pump?

As Austin Powers would say - Yeah daddy! Squeaky Clean Mud is giggly fun coming in at 5.6 and two stars. I left some spice in the bolting pattern but it is all there.

Waldo got this shot from across the slot on Saturday

clink was all grins on Squeaky. Here he is about to exit the steeps.

The Seelig route is actually decent but not 5.7. I will get back up there and brush off all the pine needles so people can actually see the holds. It has a spacious bolting pattern. There are many slingable knobs along the way. So many that I ran out of slings and I took 4. The rock was surprisingly good after exhuming much of it from under the piles and piles of pine needles. Did I mention that there were a lot of pine needles?  

Aaron thought it was 5.9. I'll go with that and half a star, which would round up to one. Must have been how they determined the star for Brown Rice and Boogers :lol: :yesnod: :biggrin:.

I was glad everyone did not listen when I said strip at the parking lot. They would have froze most of the day like me!
It was windy and cool all day. A high of 72 on the park gauge. Season my arse.  :out: :puke:

Aaron removes the last sling from a knob as he exits the pines on Solotero. Thanks Aaron!

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »

waldo sent me this additional shot of the giggly fun on Squeaky Clean Mud  :yesnod: :lol: :thumbup: :ihih:

One wheel shy of normal