Author Topic: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)  (Read 446047 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
No questing for mud today  :nonod: :frown2: :crying: but here are some pics from yesterday.

JC starts up Johnnycake

JC drilling bolt 1 on Johnnycake

Kat in the final stretches while leading the freshly cooked Johnnycake  :smilewinkgrin:

Kat moving past an excellent sling knob on her way to the only bolt on Bare Bones

Time to make some more herstory. Kat makes the first of several moves to get to the stance for bolt 1 on Two Bits.
The route turned out pretty fun. It may get a star  :thumbup: :yesnod: :biggrin:

Kat at the summit of her 100th lead at Pinns (Two Bits). Yes, that is 100 different routes led in good style. Time to start the next 100.  :yesnod: :biggrin: :thumbup:

One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
It was cold yesterday.  The sunshine came out at the end of the day but the wind never really died down.  No Gavin sighting.  We looked for the AAC group but did not find.  One hang.  Tips are toast.
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
It was cold yesterday.  The sunshine came out at the end of the day but the wind never really died down.  No Gavin sighting.  We looked for the AAC group but did not find.  One hang.  Tips are toast.

Didn't know you guys were there. I always look for Noal's RAV at your spot.
Yep, the sun came out just about the time we got back to the parking lot around 4:30. We could not get warm all day.
The wind at The Way Station was relentless.
I tried to get Kat to do another route with me on the way out but she wasn't buying.
We talked to a bunch from the AAC at Nailbox Crack on the way out and then went to the campsites (25 - 29) and hung out with Harrison and Kristen and a couple young guys. The guys had hiked over the High Peaks and done Old Original and then looped back around via Old Pinnacles. We swapped stories about OO and gave them kudos. 

Noal - I heard some people blowing some kind of horns on my way out Wednesday and reminisced about our mystery drummer. Good times dude  :biggrin:

I imagine you guys stayed until last light  :yesnod: :biggrin: :thumbup:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »

You can see how cloudy it was yesterday in my pics. No blue skies. Total cloud cover. Fade to white.
I checked the park gauge and it only hit 57 yesterday with wind gusts up to 26 mph. The wind was more steady than gusty.
It would blow for several minutes, let up briefly (felt like half a minute) and then the next wave would come. It went on like that all day. 
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
we got back and it was dusk, so it was just in time to turn the headlights on for the drive out.  Not quite a full day but close. 

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »

Not quite a full day but close.

:madman:
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Brad, I think the 'loose' fear is all about that a hold that you are on could fail causing a fall, not so much that the same hold would wipe out the village below. In that regard, though, Pinnacles exceeds expectations. It's one of the few times I've fallen 'honestly' i.e. where I didn't know I was going to fall in advance of the hold breaking and sending me off. You belayed me on that trip up Adam's Apple as I recall. 
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »

...you belayed me on that trip up Adam's Apple as I recall.

Maybe I belayed you up, down and up on that trip?  ::)

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2017, 12:14:19 AM »
Go Kat! Congratulations!

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #349 on: May 08, 2017, 12:30:48 AM »
  Noal - I heard some people blowing some kind of horns on my way out Wednesday and reminisced about our mystery drummer. Good times dude   

You know, unfortunately I have heard the horn player.  You are spot on with the drum connection the two know each other and some times "play music" together.  No joking.

I think I experienced the horrible duet either when we working on Voyeur or summit experience.   Did you tell them to STFU?

A few weekends ago saw some a-holes flying a big old drone in the high peaks in the afternoon when all the condors were out. We told them to knock it if off (and no it was not the mythical, highly anticipated, Starbucks drone delivering us lattes and paninis)

People these days......Sheesh.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #350 on: May 08, 2017, 05:13:33 AM »
People these days......Sheesh.

I know, why can't they simply enjoy the  natural sounds of Pinnacles, the wind rustling the chaparral, birds of prey screeching, frogs croaking, crickets chirping, snakes rattling, woodpeckers and climbers drilling.

I have almost gagged on perfume of late passing hikers on the trails. We observed waders and swimmers a couple weeks ago in the reservoir. Someone commented that the sign needs to be bigger and I suggested that a warning of "May contain the really bad strain of genital eating microbes", as a deterrent.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #351 on: May 08, 2017, 07:09:54 AM »
I think I experienced the horrible duet
I have almost gagged on perfume of late passing hikers on the trails.

I feel your pain.
There were some maroons blasting bubble gum barf on their iphone when we were in Juniper Canyon.
It sounds like we all need to be deputized and given blank citation books.
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #352 on: May 08, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
Drones are illegal without a permit, last news I saw from the NPS.

Brad, yep. :)

JC, calm yourself. It's going to be ok. ;)  You just need to get further out, like in the mountains. ;)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

...JC, calm yourself. It's going to be ok. ;)  You just need to get further out, like in the mountains. ;)

Munge, maybe consider teasing the next rattlesnake you see with a short stick.

That might be a little less likely to get a reaction than baiting the (as in "the," not "a") dyed-in-the-wool Pinnacles fanatic  ;D  :P

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
It's subliminal. Pretty soon he'll be carpooling with me to the Valley.

We'll start with Sunnyside Bench and work our way up...

http://www.supertopo.com/routebeta/yosemite.html

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »

It's subliminal. Pretty soon he'll be carpooling with me to the Valley.

We'll start with Sunnyside Bench and work our way up...

http://www.supertopo.com/routebeta/yosemite.html

Not to speak for our favorite, wonderful, gregarious, fun-loving, adventurous, large-forheaded Pinnacles fanatic, but Fat Chance, Slim Chance and No Chance (the Chance brothers). Nice try though  :P  >:D  ;D

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
^^^^

BTW, that's a great photo of Snake Dike. What a route!

Too bad it DOESN'T BELONG on a Pinnacles climbing thread (just warming you up for the the lambasting you deserve and will get for posting that photo in this discussion).

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Hey, Munge
great pic, keep up the good work
; )

Mud

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
I am determined to make it up some nonpinnacle classics with JC. Of course they will have the status of Pinnacles training exercises.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

I am determined to make it up some nonpinnacle classics with JC. Of course they will have the status of Pinnacles training exercises.

Maybe start by infusing his morning eggs with Valium? Then, as long as you're driving... (well you get the picture).