Author Topic: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)  (Read 457268 times)

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)
« Reply #560 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
baby mudder
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #561 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »

Got a good laugh from this two days ago.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/114014683/rock-bottom
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #562 on: January 31, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »
wow, that looks heinous in that pic! lol
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »

We went looking for shade in February. Quite a bird show in the distance, over Piedras Bonitas Cliffs.

A couple of shared jokes from the ST;

A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog. It's a Shih Tzu.

There are blind skydivers. They can tell when they're near the ground 'cos the dog's lead goes slack......

PCPS: I have nothing against dogs.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
We went looking for shade in February. Quite a bird show in the distance, over Piedras Bonitas Cliffs.

VERY FAR off in the distance.

I saw at least 6 condors being followed and harassed by other smaller birds (not sure what type), a murder of crows (I counted 11 dog-fighting and dive bombing) and I kept hearing screams echoing way across the valley (a falcon?). The condors were also swooping and potentially dog-fighting and dive bombing - or perhaps performing some type of mid-air courtship?

clink was on stance, so he couldn't enjoy the sights. He was getting plenty of commentary from me.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #565 on: February 05, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »

clink found this amazing formation on Friday.
It is truly the $hit!

Poo Poo Pinnacle - poo poo Ka choo - Paul was the Walrus  :nonod: :yesnod: :rolleyes: :lol:

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #566 on: February 05, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »

In a world where shit happens, things were looking up.  :D

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #567 on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
My dog likes your jokes.

A couple of shared jokes from the ST;

A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog. It's a Shih Tzu.

There are blind skydivers. They can tell when they're near the ground 'cos the dog's lead goes slack......

PCPS: I have nothing against dogs.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #568 on: February 06, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
Time to post some routes.

clink and I ended the year with this one.

I was hesitating on this one since it is so close to the Teapots - they are under the raptor closures.
I'm still not sure if it is okay to get on - Gavin said he'd have to check it out.

Prune Pinnacle – The Regular Route 5.2
Approach Prune Pinnacle from the Juniper Canyon Trail. Hike up the Juniper Canyon Trail to the 6th switchback above Palisade Pinnacle or down to the 4th switchback below the Tunnel Trail Junction. Go off the trail to the west (downhill) and skirt north across the hillside for 100 feet through a little brush and then a few small trees until you reach an obvious deep corridor of rock between Prune Pinnacle and the next formation uphill (no name) from it. Start climbing up the southeast toe of the formation for about 15 feet - up and onto a broad shoulder of rock. Walk along the shoulder toward an obvious notch between a small sub pinnacle and the main formation. A 3-inch cam can be placed in a pocket to protect the easy but exposed traverse to the base of the notch. A small cam in a crack on the right can be used to protect moves up and over the notch. There is a bolt with a screwlink on the other side of the notch that can be used by the follower to back belay across the next section (a loose traverse). From the top of the notch, scramble down along an awkward, exposed, somewhat stepped ledge. There are virtually no hand holds for this traverse since none of the rock on the right wall is reliable (very loose). Continue across the traverse and into a steep gully/corner. Step up to a second bolt and then climb past a small tree (scrub oak) and up to a cluster of small scrub oaks. Move through the cluster of small scrub oaks into a comfortable notch and another bolt. A belay is recommended here to avoid rope drag. Climb a short face to the sub summit and scramble across a narrow ridge to the true summit (120 feet from the start). The upper belay/rappel anchor is 10 feet below the true summit on the west side. Rappel 80 feet back to a point near the start of the climb. The rappel is a little tricky – move left along the face a little less than halfway down – then continue - to avoid a large loose flake on the face to the right – which can also hang up the ends of your rope.    
FA Party: John Cook, Jon Cochran   FA Date: 12-31-17

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #569 on: February 06, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
clink and I finished this route on the back side of Knuckle Ridge last Friday. It turned out to be more fun than expected. The rock quality kept getting better as we got higher and there is some interesting movement - step-throughs, slab moves, hidden sidepulls...
Stays in shade for most of the day.
We found an old hex head bolt (probably a drop-in anchor) with a Leeper up top - oriented along the ridge as if someone had used it for pro or used it to get down in the vicinity of the chimney (which is part of the Knuckle Ridge menagerie - see route correction number 28). Can't imagine how we missed it the day Noal, Brad, Kat and I investigated the Traverse.

O Brother Where Art Thou? 5.6* - climbs the west side of the 4th Knuckle along the far left-hand edge. 5 bolts lead to a two-bolt anchor with chains, 60 feet from the start. FA Party: John Cook, Jon Cochran, Caleb Rightmyer, Kathy Cook, Brad Young.  FA Date: 2-2-18

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #570 on: February 06, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
Saving the best for last but no pictures yet (I'll try to post some later).
clink, Kat and I have been working on some new stuff at Rubble Wall. I was trying to wait a bit until we had enough to make it worth the trip up there and also because the weather has not been warm enough until recently to want to go back. I have aspirations for a few more routes and some eventual rebolting.

Here is what we have done so far:

North side of Rubble Wall
– great on a hot day (stays shady). Approach time 1hour 45 minutes

Hammer in My Heart 5.2* - this unusual route is located on a unique ridge of
rock known as The Heart of Pinnacles. The ridge is situated on the hillside on the
northeastern side of Rubble Wall. The ridge is oriented NE-SW, roughly parallel to and
separated by a 50-foot gap from the ridge that comprises The Teeth. The ridge has a large,
slightly rotated, heart-shaped hole about midway down its length. To reach the ridge, go to the
uphill (eastern end) of Rubble Wall and follow along the base of the wall in a downhill fashion
(to the northwest). There is some 3rd class scrambling required.
It is possible to walk and scramble along the top of The Heart of Pinnacles from the
uphill side. The section directly above the heart-shaped hole is the narrowest and most
exposed.

There is a large boulder on the hillside just uphill from the start of the climb that makes a great
staging area (on its uphill side). Walk downhill and around the toe of the ridge to the side nearest
the Teeth (northwest side) to start the route. Scramble up a knobby face to two huge knobs
reminiscent of Photographer’s Delight, below an obvious overhanging notch. Step up to the base
of the notch and clip a bolt on the right side, inside the notch. The end of the large protruding
feature on the left (the Donger) should be avoided, as should the bread-loaf sized knob
directly below it. If you are climbing this unique route – please take care not to damage
or destroy the Donger. Move up into the notch and surmount it (5.2). Step over to the
huge, exposed knob on the right and then continue up to the top of the ridge (class four).
Traverse the ridge for another 60 feet, taking advantage of slingable features and
directional channels in the rock. Belay by slinging a large pointed horn near the end of the
ridge, 100 feet from the start. Walk off. The climbing to the top of the ridge is 45 feet
long. Protection – one bolt and several double-length slings (4 foot).
FA Party: John and Kathy Cook   FA Date: 10-29-17
I'd like to dedicate this climb to my mother, Patricia Lawrence. May she rest in peace.

Pebbles and Bam Bam 5.8* - Pebbles and Bam Bam is one of two steep and knobby routes on a
north facing wall below The Teeth. From Hammer in my Heart, walk 75 feet down the
hill to your left (west) and then along the base of the wall until you reach a nice staging area
below The Teeth. Looking up from the staging area, a mossy ramp leads to a wall covered with a
mix of large and huge knobs, several mossy water streaks and looming at the top are giant, head-
like protrusions of rock. The notch where the West Tooth route starts is almost directly above on
your right. Pebbles and Bam Bam starts to the right of the left-most mossy water chute (on clean,
gray rock) for 3 bolts, moves left into the chute for one bolt and then moves back right to a 5th
bolt and out right and up to finish. It may also be possible to climb straight up from the 5th bolt
but the rock is absolutely filthy and moss covered and that is not the way the first ascent was
achieved. Walk/scramble (up and right) about 15 feet from the top of the route to a 2-bolt anchor
with chains, located above one of the most unique pieces of rock in Pinnacles – The Recliner.
Take a seat on this amazing stone chair and relax after climbing - with incredible views.
FA Party: John and Kathy Cook   FA Date: 11-19-17

Betty and Barney 5.6* - Betty and Barney starts up the mossy water streak 12 feet right of
Pebbles and Bam Bam. The original plan to climb to the right of this chute/streak on the clean
gray blunt arete was thwarted by poor rock quality (for drilling). The rock looks great but every
tested spot rang/sounded hollow. Climb big holds to a steep stance and the first bolt. Move
up past the first bolt where a giant rectangular lodestone can be slung if desired. The second bolt
can be clipped when standing on this same lodestone. Stem up past the second bolt and reach
high to make a slabby/mantly exit. Walk/scramble up to the anchor above The Recliner. Rappel
the face between the two climbs. FA Party: John and Kathy Cook   FA Date: 2-4-18

Long in the Tooth 5.8** - This route starts at the base of the slightly northwest facing wall
below West Tooth and climbs to the summit of West Tooth (on the opposite side from the
original route). From staging at Pebbles and Bam Bam/Betty and Barney, walk 40 feet down
(west) and around the toe of the ridge that comprises The Teeth.
Pitch 1 - 5.7 - Climb up past 3 bolts and then make a traverse left into an obvious chute. A huge
lodestone can be slung in the chute (6-foot sling) to protect the final moves to the 2-bolt
anchor/belay above. 75 feet.
Pitch 2 - 5.8 - climb up and right above the anchor (the Take a Knee Traverse) and then
start up the steep face past 3 closely spaced bolts. Past the 3rd bolt, an easy runout leads to
one more bolt that protects moves to the “peek-a-boo” anchor. The true summit can be reached
by moving up and left from the anchor to reach the “armpit” of the hole-in-the-arch and then
back right to stand on the big knob inches below the anchor. The anchor was placed lower than
the summit in the concave hollow, due to the total lack of surface area and drillable rock on
the summit (the summit sounds like styrofoam or cardboard when struck with a hammer).
Careful rappelling over a wildly exposed and then overhanging line deposits you back perfectly
at the p1 anchor. Belaying your follower from the top of pitch 2 is not recommended.  
FA Party: John Cook, Jon Cochran, Kathy Cook      FA Date: 11-8-17

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
The Heart of Pinnacles - Hammer in My Heart climbs the left skyline.

Inspecting The Donger on Hammer in My Heart - that lodestone the rope is draped over is the loose knob in the description.

Has anyone played around on the new version of Google Earth? It is crazy cool.

Here is a screen shot showing The Teeth on the left and you can see The Heart of Pinnacles - start from center and move up and right. See the hole? Wild that the resolution is this good.

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »

Stance for bolt 4 Pebbles and Bam Bam

Stemming up past bolt 2 on Betty and Barney

Enjoying a rest between anchor bolts on The Recliner

Coming down after finishing pitch 2 of Long in the Tooth

clink below me at the pitch 1 anchor as he lowers me from the pitch 2 anchor on Long in the Tooth.
We were shocked at how well the pitch 2 anchor deposited me back at the pitch 1 anchor.

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
That is/was cool!

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #574 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
I have to ask.  Is this part of the traverse that goes from one side of the ridge to the other ( starts at one end of Knuckle Ridge and goes to the other end )?

clink and I finished this route on the back side of Knuckle Ridge last Friday. It turned out to be more fun than expected. The rock quality kept getting better as we got higher and there is some interesting movement - step-throughs, slab moves, hidden sidepulls...
Stays in shade for most of the day.
We found an old hex head bolt (probably a drop-in anchor) with a Leeper up top - oriented along the ridge as if someone had used it for pro or used it to get down in the vicinity of the chimney (which is part of the Knuckle Ridge menagerie - see route correction number 28). Can't imagine how we missed it the day Noal, Brad, Kat and I investigated the Traverse.

O Brother Where Art Thou? 5.6* - climbs the west side of the 4th Knuckle along the far left-hand edge. 5 bolts lead to a two-bolt anchor with chains, 60 feet from the start. FA Party: John Cook, Jon Cochran, Caleb Rightmyer, Kathy Cook, Brad Young.  FA Date: 2-2-18

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #575 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
The belay seat looks cool.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #576 on: February 07, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
I have to ask.  Is this part of the traverse that goes from one side of the ridge to the other ( starts at one end of Knuckle Ridge and goes to the other end )?

O Brother! - Just kidding  :biggrin:

I'm glad you asked that question. The chimney to the left of the new route is the 4th class way to the top of the left 5th Knuckle and from the top of that same chimney, a short face (10 feet of 5.3) leads to the top of the 4th Knuckle. After 10 or 15 feet of walking along the ridge top (maybe more - I didn't measure) - you stumble over that old bolt we found - which is oriented in line with the ridge top.

From Correction 28
28.  Correction, pages 149 and 150 (route 383 “Knuckle Ridge Traverse”)
Knuckle Ridge  5.3  R  This mountaineering style route gains all five summits of Knuckle Ridge by the easiest possible means.  In each case, “the easiest possible means” is by first ascending a slot or chimney from the west side of the formation and then climbing to a summit from there.  As described below, a climber will return to the ground (to change chimneys) between some summit ascents.  By way of further reference, the “knuckles” of Knuckle Ridge are numbered one through five from south to north.  This route ascends the fifth through the first knuckles, as follows:
-   The fifth (north-most) summit is easy to reach by way of the small slot/chimney between it and the fourth summit.
-   The fourth summit is reached by 10 feet of 5.3 done just above the same slot.  Return to the ground on the west side of the ridge after these two summits.

Here is a photo topo of the new route

Here is the old bolt - oriented in line with the ridge traverse

The strange thing is it is oriented to the right (3rd knuckle) as if they either used it for pro (no need that I saw) or to rappel over the front side or the end of the 4th Knuckle - maybe to get to the 3rd Knuckle? Things that make ya go hmmmmm.

I couldn't get a socket over it and we couldn't get it loose with a crescent wrench to see what type of bolt it is - I suspect it is a drop in.

Here's a shot showing all 5 Knuckles from their back side (west side) and The Outcast. Just for clarification - The old bolt is pointing toward the Outcast.

(from left to right 5 4 3 2 1 Outcast) for those unfamiliar with the formation

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #577 on: February 07, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
The belay seat looks cool.

It honestly is like nothing else I have ever seen - it is like someone sculpted the damn thing.
It is even big enough to be cozy for two and the view is unreal  :thumbup: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #578 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:25 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.  I did not use a rope when I did the traverse so I cannot speak in regards to the bolts.  I think most of the chimneys have been climbed at one time or another so perhaps it was used in that regards.  Or, perhaps they were bored. 

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #579 on: February 07, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »
There is a fun bouldering wall out there that we spent a fair bit of time on.  Seems to me it was not to far from Knuckle Ridge but before the Shaft.