Author Topic: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)  (Read 457363 times)

F4?

• unworthy
Re: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)
« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2018, 02:05:11 PM »
Say there Bob, I don't suppose you have a map to the treasure???
Might have to make one and let JC/Clink find it....

To me, it's the East Side.....they even a built a road to move the treasure.

Maybe its in/under the bear gulch reservoir....why else was it built for.
I'm not worthy.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #921 on: November 03, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
Treasure map in the works...
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #922 on: November 05, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
Kat and I added the second pitch to Ribbit and Croak yesterday and topped out. We saw Mark Seelos (MudMittens) in the parking lot and he got to listen to Kat and me playing the Bickersons on the climb (he was climbing at the Hand)

It was a tough day with the sun coming around sooner than the two previous outings with clink (damn time change).
By the time I got to the first pitch anchor, the sun was roasting me. I decided it would be best to get the first bolt in on p2 so when Kat came up I could get going and she wouldn't have to hang at the belay as long. It was a good thing I did! The only decent rock I could find had me overextended to the point I could not grip the drill holder but only turn it with my fingertips. On tiptoes, spread out awkwardly and twisted, I struggled for what seemed like forever to get the first bolt in. It was after 1:00 when I finished the bolt. Long story short, it kicked my arse. Kat followed p1 and we got reorganized at the belay (it is easier utilized as a hanging belay if you do pitch 2). Before Kat came up, I removed the temporary rappel hardware clink and I left when we finished p1 and I put chains and proper screwlinks on the anchor. Now if someone just wants to lead p1 and rappel...they can. :yikes:

If someone wants to go climb it, be my guest. :devildevil: clink congratulated me on leading the first pitch again without injury. :ihih:
With the possible exception of the first bolt, it is very much in keeping with other Frog routes.  

The starting boulder (see route description below).

Stance for bolt 2, pitch 2. How bout those scary looking flakes? :yesnod: :yikes:

Approximate photo topo for both pitches showing the two bolt midway anchor and the 2nd and 3rd lead bolts on p2

And what TR would be complete without this? Pretty nifty reflection eh?

Ribbit and Croak 5.6R
Starts about 50 feet left of Getch Getchy Bird on the west face of The Frog. Step off a big boulder and climb the face up and a little left to bolt 1. Continue up and a little left to bolt 2, then start traversing up and right to bolts 3 and 4. Climb up from bolt 4 toward the large overhang above. Duck under/into the right edge of the overhang and then make committing, runout moves out and onto the slab on the right – make a few more moves to reach bolt 5. Traverse right to bolts 6 and 7. There is a big, hollow, unstable? scab past bolt 7 with two medium-sized lodestones next to each other. These provide footholds and allow careful passage across the hollow scab and onto a dirty slab. Move up the slab to a big lodestone and climb onto the lodestone to reach the two-bolt anchor with chains – 110 feet from the start. Rappel 70 feet to the ground or continue up pitch 2.  
FA Date 10-7-18, FA Party: John Cook, Jon Cochran
Pitch 2 – clip the first bolt (out left of the anchor) and step over an easy overhang, onto an exposed stance. Make committing moves up and slightly left to bolt 2. Climb to a third bolt about 25 feet higher. From the 3rd bolt, continue up a few moves and escape out right onto class four terrain - then meander to the summit (topping out below the left side/north end of the summit block, 65 feet from the start). Scramble down the opposite/east side 20 feet (class two) and belay from flat ground (no summit anchor). Walk off South Side Shuffle and around the south end of the formation.  
FA Date 11-4-18, FA Party: John Cook, Kathy Cook

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #923 on: November 05, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »
 That route fits the MOM t shirt description well. I ran into Brian and Whitney yesterday at the Corralitos Market. they had been on a biking session at the Demonstration Forest I believe. Brian was wearing one of those shirts that Noal printed up.

Fitting the reflection of Birdbrain in the last pic.    :)

Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #924 on: November 05, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
That route fits the MOM t shirt description well.
 Fitting the reflection of Birdbrain in the last pic.    :)

Watch it! :lol: :crazy: :prrr:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #925 on: November 05, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »

If someone wants to go climb it, be my guest.

Yeah, I'll give it a go. Soon, I suspect.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #926 on: November 06, 2018, 05:22:06 AM »
I suspect.

Yes. classification being not "a", but explicitly "the Usual"

Pinnacles has a fair number of Road Kill routes,  a few of the climbers over the years have developed a taste for carrion.

:)
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #927 on: November 06, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »

Pinnacles has a fair number of Road Kill routes,  a few of the climbers over the years have developed a taste for carrion.

I go where the rock leads me. This one is good until it isn't. Then it is mainly a matter of knowing how to find and use the best holds and avoid the bad stuff. The route finding is tricky and the runouts will get your full attention. Bob and weave, steady the nerves, repeat. I am so glad we did the 2nd pitch since it actually gets better again and results in a decent finish. Probably should have waited a year and called p2 Frozen Chicken  :nonod: :out: :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #928 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »
Yeah, I'll give it a go. Soon, I suspect.

My suggestion would be to finish your route with Larry. Kat and I can go up and climb to the true summit of The Frog and maybe replace the bolt on Getch Getchy Bird while you guys work. Then you and Larry can climb Ribbit and Croak while Kat and I do the second ascent of
 Spoof Proof Roof. We can cuss at each other from the respective routes - though I imagine most of the foul language will be heard my way.  :rolleyes: :crazy: :arf: 
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #929 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Then you and Larry can climb Ribbit and Croak   

I changed what's left of my mind. I think briham would be a better partner for the route  :out: :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #930 on: November 06, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

We can cuss at each other from the respective routes - though I imagine most of the foul language will be heard my way.  :rolleyes: :crazy: :arf:  

That's a very odd thing to say. The whole climbing community knows that I do not cuss.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #931 on: November 06, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
That's a very odd thing to say. The whole combing community knows that I do not cuss.

Alright Mr. Swearengen - now fix your hair! >:D
One wheel shy of normal

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #932 on: November 06, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
That's a very odd thing to say. The whole combing community knows that I do not cuss.

I thought I was part of the brushing community?  :ihih:

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #933 on: November 06, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »

I thought I was part of the brushing community?  :ihih:

Don’t forget to brush your tooth.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #934 on: November 06, 2018, 05:44:09 PM »
That's a very odd thing to say. The whole climbing bing community knows that I do not cuss.

Bing Bing Bing Richochet Rabbit  :biggrin: :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #935 on: November 06, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

Bing Bing Bing Richochet Rabbit  :biggrin: :lol:

Cold as hell today in the shade at 6,500 feet. Worth it though. And what's with this dark at 5:30 crap [edit: stuff - I DO NOT cuss]?

JC w KC redux

« Reply #936 on: November 06, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »

Crap for crap's sake. Now cut the crap Bing  ??? :idea: :arf:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #937 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
Cold as hell today in the shade at 6,500 feet.

This elevation doesn't seem to fit a Pinnacles Mud thread.

And a second infraction

Cold as hell today. I DO NOT cuss

:madmax: :madman: :nono: :frown2: :out: :ciappa:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #938 on: November 08, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »

Cold as hell today in the shade at 6,500 feet.

Cold again today at 6,500 feet.

But the Views! Plus it counts as a work day - I was climbing with my business partner Jennifer. Two new routes, both 50 feet high:

-  Butter 5.8 *

-  Scotch 5.5 *

(She wanted to name the crag after our dogs - all three are red - so Red Dogs Slab, and hers is named Butterscotch.)

Now, enough of this granite close to home nonsense. Pinnacles season starts this weekend. Looking forward to it.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #939 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:13 PM »
Cold again today at 6,500 feet.

Here we go again... :madmax: :incazzato: :madman:    :ciappa:
One wheel shy of normal