Author Topic: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)  (Read 457267 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Quest for Mud (Special Edition)
« Reply #1500 on: October 15, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »
The quest continued over the weekend and into yesterday as Noal and I finished an exciting new route on Sunday and Kat and I climbed Bongloadash yesterday. Noal and I have been gettin' after it for weeks now (it's been really great reconnecting) and Kat continues to be super supportive of my efforts and love for all things Pinnacles.

PCAD is this coming weekend, so we'll have to suspend the first ascent activity for a weekend - but we should have some great new stuff to announce in the coming months.

Bongloadash was quite the adventure. Bit of a pain getting up to the start and the walkoff isn't much fun but the route is really cool. It takes good gear (take cams from 1 1/2 to 5 inches), the old bolts are in good shape and the climbing is really interesting. There are a bunch of surprise holds along the route - in particular there are a lot of holes that seem to appear just when you need them - both on the somewhat rotten back wall and on the hard, black streaked rock that defines the route. The runout is a bit of a head game. This is not a route for the faint of heart. A fall between bolts 2 and 3 would be disastrous but the climbing is probably only 5.5 or 5.6 depending on height. Knowing Pinnacles rock and carefully choosing holds is critical. I only found one hold on the entire route that was truly loose and I removed part of it and then just avoided what was left.

The anchor was one long 5 piece carbon steel bolt on a Metolius hanger and one quarter inch button head on a Leeper hanger. I placed a long 5 piece stainless bolt and ASCA hanger to replace the button head. I will go back and remove the button head and replace the three old lead bolts at some point. Lead bolts 1, 3 and 4 are all 3/8 split shafts with beefy homemade hangers and they are all tight and showing only light rust. Bolt 2 is a 5 piece carbon steel bolt on a Metolius hanger. 
The anchor cannot be seen from below and neither can most of the lead bolts (the climb undulates). Kat said she could see bolt 2 from the base. I could see the first gear placement and the fixed pin - that was all I needed to get started  :thumbup: :biggrin:

The anchor bolts are way too far back from the top of the climb to set up for rappel, so you have to walk off (which requires a few 5th class moves on a short chute/cleft - alluded to on guidebook topo). I did see some old tat (1 inch nylon webbing) laced through the kissing point of some huge chockstones in the enormous chimney to the right of the route - so someone must have rappelled in two phases at some point (or bailed off the route) but that would mean leaving a long cord like a cordalette at the anchor and then more webbing at those chockstones. There was no tat at the anchor but someone could have cleaned that before walking off. Rappelling with two ropes would be a terrible pull unless you left enough webbing or a cord to get the rappel point over the top edge.

The climbing is thoughtful and exciting. The rock along the black streak is excellent. The features and holes are really cool. The route is photogenic from the main trail (we often need a third party photographer). People were stopping to watch Kat follow. I would definitely give the route a star and an R. People that don't climb at Pinnacles often might not agree with the star because of the ongoing water flow and resulting deposition along the streak - but I did not think it was any big deal. The only "slippery" part was a couple foot holds out to the left - just above the start - that are somewhat rounded and water polished.     

I made a photo topo showing the approach and descent (using Google Earth) and another one to show the bolts and anchor.
The guidebook topo also shows some arrows pointing toward these but the one I made has more detail if you're interested.

We took the shorter 3rd class way up (shown as 4th Class on the guidebook topo). The rocky part is okay but the grassy, loamy slope above is unpleasant. It's like hiking on slippery snow (the thick grass makes it slick) where the snow slumps and packs under your feet with every step. Really not that unusual for Pinnacles - I've been in plenty of other spots where moving off trail feels like that. 
We went down the longer, alternate path (partially shown on my version and the guidebook topo) following deer trails across the drainage (above the waterfall) and eventually joining the first part of the Crowley approach trail near the back of The Flumes.

Here is a photo topo for the route. All the gear placements and the fixed pin are before bolt 1 (pin shown on guidebook topo).

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #1501 on: October 15, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
I did see some old tat (1 inch nylon webbing) laced through the kissing point of some huge chockstones in the enormous chimney to the right of the route - so someone must have rappelled in two phases at some point (or bailed off the route) but that would mean leaving a long cord like a cordalette at the anchor and then more webbing at those chockstones.

I always assumed that that huge chockstone rap had been used to get off of Premeditated at some point (back in the days of shorter ropes perhaps).

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1502 on: October 15, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
I always assumed that that huge chockstone rap had been used to get off of Premeditated at some point (back in the days of shorter ropes perhaps).

Gotcha.
I knew that climb was over there and Kat said she could see some bolts but I didn't think that climb had any bolts. I don't know anything about it nor do I ever want to. Here is what is embarrassing; I didn't even look at the topo for Bongloadash. I didn't even realize there was one. I just saw the photo and description on page 287 and never turned the page to the topo on 288. What a maroon!
I think I actually looked at that topo in the past and then forgot it was there (maybe a note that says "topo on next page" or "burn after reading" would help people with my disorder). Requisitioning for a name change to Major Duh. :arf:
I also see where you show the possible approaches - showing the one I called 3rd class as 4th class. Kat did not want to climb that short face so we roped up and I went as far left as I could before starting up the rock. It's only 25 feet before you get to the "3rd class grass" and loamy dirt but I thought even that part was unnerving. I went to within about 30 feet of the start of the climb before belaying her up.

I'm going to edit my post. 
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1503 on: October 23, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »
Enjoyed a day out with waldo today. We climbed Saturday's Child Direct Finish.
We bailed afterwards to enjoy some shade and a nice cold Tecate in the parking lot.
Thanks for comin' out dude  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod: :ihih:
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #1504 on: October 23, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
but I thought even that part was unnerving.

yes!
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1505 on: October 23, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
yes!

3rd class dirt and slickey grass - take a piece of cardboard or a cafeteria tray for a quick descent  :yesnod: :thumbup: :yikes:
One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #1506 on: October 24, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
3rd class dirt and slickey grass - take a piece of cardboard or a cafeteria tray for a quick descent  :yesnod: :thumbup: :yikes:

Or, as JC and I discussed yesterday, there could be legitimate uses for an ice ax at Pinnacles.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1507 on: October 30, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
^^^
Amen waldo.

On another note, I just finished a two day outing with Gavin and Brad.
Gavin came out yesterday morning and helped with a few items at Discovery Wall and then Brad and I spent the rest of the day at Marmot Rocks working on guidebook stuff.

Today, we all went to Goat Rock and Brad led Forgive and Forgoat and then worked on the topo on rappel for the two 5.9's and later from a distance at Possibility Pinnacle. He took pictures of Gavin and me climbing Piece of Ewe. I have wanted to climb that route for years and finally got on it today. I led all three pitches and Gavin was awesome on support and follow. That was my Halloween scare  :yesnod: :biggrin: :thumbup: :yikes:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1508 on: October 31, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
Today, we all went to Goat Rock and Brad led Forgive and Forgoat and then worked on the topo on rappel for the two 5.9's and later from a distance at Possibility Pinnacle. He took pictures of Gavin and me climbing Piece of Ewe. I have wanted to climb that route for years and finally got on it today. I led all three pitches and Gavin was awesome on support and follow. That was my Halloween scare  :yesnod: :biggrin: :thumbup: :yikes:

The "geezus! bolt" a few feet over and above the p2 belay protects a significant move and then you're on your own for about 35 feet of climbing (Gavin called it squirrely), protected only by sling knobs. You finish with a hand traverse for about 25 feet that is pretty cool.
I doubt this route has ever seen many ascents.

The back story in Chuck Richards 1974 guidebook is entertaining and telling.

On the original ascent, the Midnight Twins, after snapping their last drill bit, continued up the third pitch without protection, until being verbally forced to tie into a top rope. Several weeks later, Gary Colliver and Glenn Denny, oblivious to earlier events, stepped out onto the no-man's-land to puzzle over the broken bit projecting from the wall with no other sign of life. Weeks later, at Machete Direct, they learned the tale.

I took a few pictures but none of them look like much - except this one.

Gavin follows the extreme section of pitch 3 on Piece of Ewe 5.7R.

and a zoomed version to show some of the sling knobs

One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #1509 on: October 31, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
Nice!

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #1510 on: October 31, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
Or, as JC and I discussed yesterday, there could be legitimate uses for an ice ax at Pinnacles.

Take it to the next level
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #1511 on: October 31, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
nice
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1512 on: November 01, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

More mud today with Kat. We went to the Valle del Baile and did the 5.7 and the 5.8 in the corridor. The 7 is okay but I would not give it a star and the 8 is fun enough to repeat - definitely give that one a star. Ready to go back and climb the 9 and I'll Be Back Crack. They both look good. We may have saved the best for last  :yesnod: :thumbup: :biggrin: :ihih:

Heading out with Noal tomorrow and clink on Sunday.
Time for some mudsters' mischief  :devildevil:
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #1513 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
Have fun!

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1514 on: November 02, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »
Have fun!

We did! :ihih: :devildevil:

Now on to the Meanderthal - it's been almost a year since we went out! :yikes: :arf:
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1515 on: November 04, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
^^^

clink and I got out yesterday and got after it a bit.

Kat and I went to Pot today.

Not 5.5, lead bolt was a bad joke (old, rusty, 3/8 inch split shaft with a nut barely on and rusted in place, floppy Leeper) - it's 30 feet up after you've done all the hardest moves.
I was inclined to rate it maybe just a shade below 5.8 and Kat said 5.7 on follow (before I said what I thought).
Part of it for me may have been the pucker factor. A slight foot slip when I was way up was not welcome.
Definite R but with a mercifully grassy landing (probably make a nice crater).  :yikes:

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #1516 on: November 04, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
^^^
Forgot to mention we had quite the condor show both days from the gang of three (92, 63, 26).
They get around!  :yesnod: :ihih: :arf:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #1517 on: November 04, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the day out JC. You guys are doing are doing some proud work. Quite the belay location for condor viewing.  :)
Causing trouble when not climbing.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #1518 on: November 04, 2019, 07:35:22 PM »
You guys are doing are doing some proud work. Quite the belay location for condor viewing.  

Thanks!  The view from that anchor is stellar!  One of my favorites in the park. 

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #1519 on: November 05, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »
I was also out climbing yesterday - I spent the whole day up at Spike's Peak finishing another new climb at the middle pinnacle, a quite good 5.9 that moves through 8 bolts over 95 feet of climbing, and finishes up at the anchor for the 5.8 R. Pretty fun movement, from a narrow chimney squeeze for the first third of the route, then face climbing with an obvious 5.9 crux section near the top.

Many condors were flying, the temps were perfect, and the evening light was beautiful. Good times!