July 21, 2017, 02:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: For weather forecast for Pinnacles, click here.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: On the East Side (of the Sierra): Climbing With Jim and Wendy  (Read 8116 times)
Brad Young
Grand Master

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »

It took an hour to hike in to Dike Canyon. This photo of Jim hiking features snow-covered Mount Tom in the background; I've long wanted to hike its north ridge, the one just right of center, which gains 6,000 feet of elevation in seven miles (naturally Dave Harden's done it):

Here's the approach from above (the town of Paradise and the White Mountains visible):

It was "suggested" that I'm not allowed to post much info on this area. And, although that sounds maybe a little paranoid, Bishop-area first ascentionists have been pretty darn active in recent years. So maybe a little caution is warranted. And even if it's not, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. So, no climbing or close-up shots. Just a general idea where it is and confirmation that the climbing is good (defined here as definitely worth the hike). So is the location and the views.

Oh, there were some early season wild roses, one of my favorite flowers:

Back to The Gorge tomorrow.
mungeclimber
Mr. BLL

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »

Intriguing.

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge
F4?
unworthy

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:35 PM »

I'd be game for that hike Brad....

I'm not worthy.
Brad Young
Grand Master

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »

We're off today to Pine Creek Canyon. Climbing shorter stuff with the "elder" Barbella. And that will be it for a very fine trip (gotta get home, I miss my girls a lot).
clink
Pin Heads

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 05:09:50 AM »

"elder" Barbella

On a mission?

Causing trouble when not climbing.
JC w KC redux
AgentOrange

my density has brought me to you...

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »

We could go back to the old naming conventions.
Barbella the Elder.
Barbella the Younger
Barbarella  Laugh Out Loud
Brad Young
Grand Master

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »

Well there's this whole thing about "not using full names on the internet." So let's just call him John.

Here he is on a 5.9 sport climb, Sunspear, yesterday. This route gets an extra star for this perched exposure out on its arete:

And meanwhile, Jim leading The Gift another sport climb right next door (at Game of Thrones Crag, Pine Creek Canyon):

The skin on my fingertips was so sore last evening that I dropped a "warm" dinner roll in pain when I picked it up to eat it. Now that's a good trip  Wink

clink
Pin Heads

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

Nothing can be more fitting here, than pics of those two gunning. A nefarious dinner roll and company pic next time, please.

Causing trouble when not climbing.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: