Author Topic: Pinnacles Fee Increase - comment now!!!  (Read 1341 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Pinnacles Fee Increase - comment now!!!
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
News Relases: Pinnacles National Park Proposes Entrance Fee Increase in 2018.

https://www.nps.gov/…/l…/news/2018-proposed-fee-increase.htm

A 30-day public comment period opens on Tuesday, August 29th. Comments may be submitted online at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/pinn (Click on: 2018 Proposed Fee Increase), by mail, or hand-delivered to the park at Superintendent, Pinnacles National Park, Attn: Proposed Fee Increase, 5000 Highway 146, Paicines, CA 95043.

Comments submitted by Facebook, e-mail or any other form will not be accepted.

Ostensibly for the following... I say no.

rehabilitation of the Bear Valley School?  huh?
construction of vault toilets to replace portable facilities? where are these? what about fixing the ones you can't turn around in?
and the building of a new entrance station on the east side of the park. for why? You got a kiosk.

NO INFORMATION PROVIDED other than this?   WTF?

And of course, they don't hot link to the actual place you comment... wouldn't want anyone clicking through...

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/pinn

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Pinnacles Fee Increase - comment now!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »

Ostensibly for the following... I say no.

rehabilitation of the Bear Valley School?  huh?
construction of vault toilets to replace portable facilities? where are these? what about fixing the ones you can't turn around in?
and the building of a new entrance station on the east side of the park. for why? You got a kiosk.

NO INFORMATION PROVIDED other than this?   WTF?

And of course, they don't hot link to the actual place you comment... wouldn't want anyone clicking through...

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/pinn

The Bear Valley School needs a serious upgrade.
Their classrooms will be upgraded to incorporate all forms of smart technology.

Porta potties are still in use at the Old Pinnacles trail head and High Peaks view point.

The entrance station and visitor center is much nicer on the west side - east side needs a face lift. 

We also need a giant bubble around the whole place so it can always be dry and air conditioned.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »

The Bear Valley School needs a serious upgrade.
Their classrooms will be upgraded to incorporate all forms of smart technology.

Porta potties are still in use at the Old Pinnacles trail head and High Peaks view point.

The entrance station and visitor center is much nicer on the west side - east side needs a face lift.

Holy wow, those are spot-on answers made quickly. Impressive. I couldn't come up with any porta-potty locations when I read/thought about his post (for example).

We also need a giant bubble around the whole place so it can always be dry and air conditioned.

No way. That kind of cushiness would ruin your reputation as one tough hombre.

I think Rob's greater point (extrapolating here) isn't that such work is needed, it clearly is. I read his point as being "why should it come from increased user fees" instead.

My response to that is, in this country's current political reality, increased funding isn't likely to come from any source other than user fees. So, if anythings gonna be done, this is likely the only way.

Also, from my own elitist, user-snob perspective, increased user fees would likely cut down visitation slightly.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
 I had the time of my life traipsing around Sequoia with Johnny (he turned 6 this month). $80 for a year in the Parks is a steal compared to One day at Disney for $90+ per person.

Our 19 trout catch day was worth the $80 by itself. Sorry the pics won't post from my phone to here, they are on that other site.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »
Spot on Brad. That's been a pet peeve of mine for a long while. Jacked up campsite fees. Parking fees. Adventure 'screw you just for driving thru and taking a picture' Fee, and in particular, I find an increased entrance fee repugnant and inconsistent with the direction the Monument took.

Change the Monument designation; to do what? To draw more people in. Once you have the designation; do what? RAISE THE FEE, but before you have any real change that wasn't already budgeted as a Monument?  Did Park designation give more revenue? More user visitation dollars?  So those from a poor county get to pay this NEW fee until the new services and functions are in. So they aren't paying for what it ostensibly provides THEM, the user. Instead it provides a future revenue stream to pay for nice to haves, in most cases.

What would be the TCO for porta potties in a Monument over 40 years that probably aren't used all year round prior to the designation vs. new entrance on East Side or latest technology after Park designation?

Sure, Rob's a curmudgeon. whatever. But think long and hard about what comments you want to provide. What direction do you want the Park to go in.

I've already filed papers to become an anti gov conservative and move to Nevada.    j/k, but you get my point hopefully.

Raising a fee doesn't necessarily REQUIRE using the funds for the stated goals on a web page that will be pulled down after the comments are in.

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
I heartily agree with Munge and Brad on where funds should originate. However, let me add that I think the Bear Valley School is a most worthy project. I dragooned my school's staff out to Pinnacles about fifteen years ago. We met at the school, had a wonderful lunch and hiked in the rain - some of us, anyway. The idea was to show teachers how wonderful the place is and to encourage teachers to bring students to participate in ranger-led activities. A few did before the budget went south and ranger-ed disappeared for awhile. I don't know what's going on now.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
I talked to one ranger last winter.  Their staff is significantly cut back.  In places it is now non-existent.  With bumble butt cost is trickled down.
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »
Progress eh?

They need to tunnel under the monument to connect 146.

Then underground parking, since I don't like having a hot car.

I still do not mind making my donation to pay off the Obama visitor center on the west side.

I'm not worthy.