Author Topic: The PCT Volume 34: The Quick Fix  (Read 13884 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
The PCT Volume 34: The Quick Fix
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »
As indicated in the last bit of the previous report, we did it. We crammed all we could into a three day weekend and still made it home yesterday in time for Tricia to do her AP History homework. Here's how it went.

September 2, 2017:

Tricia was thrilled in early August when she made the J.V. Volleyball team.  But, of course, she had to be at team practices every day after that, and as a result we didn’t get an August week on the PCT.  So, I proposed a crazy three day run to Oregon over Labor Day Weekend. To my pleasant surprise, all three girls - Katie included - agreed.

The long drive up to Klamath Falls seemed worth it once we’d reached Windigo Pass on Saturday morning.  Although Klamath Falls is still an hour and a half drive from Windigo Pass, we were there and ready to start hiking by late morning:

The trail in this part of Oregon is odd in a way. There are so many lakes in Oregon’s portion of the Cascades and yet significant portions of the trail stay along the crest and are bone-dry from about mid-summer on. As a result, most PCT through-hikers are pretty thirsty by the time they reach Windigo Pass. Trail angels have stepped into the gap though. Here’s Tricia looking at the Windigo Pass water cache (trail angels had left more than 50 gallons of water here, most of it in bombproof five gallon bottles):

Conditions upon arrival are very different than they were in July.  It’s a little hotter.  The roads and the trail have been used a lot more since then and are very dusty.  And the smoke is just terrible (there are something like 30 fires within 50 miles):

Still, we make progress. Vistas (or what would be vistas) open up:

Soon Cowhorn Mountain is visible:

Cowhorn is like much of this part of the Cascades; it emerges directly and abruptly from rolling forest and is very dramatic:

Naturally the smoke continued. Here is our first “view” of Summit Lake (look especially in the gap between trees, about a third of the way from left to right, and then also right of that):

And, in what otherwise would have been a spectacular sight, here’s Diamond Peak as we were able to see it this day (look for patches of snow on the peak, just right of dead center):

More forest hiking:

After just under 12 miles we reached the shore of Summit Lake:

This is a big lake. We traversed halfway around its west shore, expecting to find Vicki  somewhere (it’s Labor Day and we expect crowds, and she intends to set up camp where and as availible). Sure enough, when we find her, she’s found a spot well away from crowds; she’s set up and watching the trail, waiting for us to show up:

Although the lakeshore is crowded, we’re off the road a way and (other than the occasional car passing by on the dirt road and the pleasant- sounding wedding ceremony across the lake) we’ve got quiet and peace:

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: The PCT Volume 34: The Quick Fix
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »
September 3, 2017:

I wake Katie up this morning with a hot cup of coffee.  I ask her “what were you doing 22 years ago today?”  She smiles and then laughs.  It’s her birthday and I’m pretty jazzed that she’s here on the PCT with us.

Our morning is slow, but nice:

We’re over to the trailhead and hiking by 9:00 a.m.:

The same conditions apply today; a little cooler, but still very, very smokey:

We can at least see Diamond Peak as we start around its east side:

Again, vistas open up but they're not vistas (but who's really complaining, I'm completely thrilled to be here with my girls, even without views):

Slowly uphill:

The east side of Diamond Peak has some open, alpine terrain (and a reliable creek for water and a break):

The four-leggers prefer larger bodies of water:

We started our slow descent to Odell Lake and Highway 58. Along the way we saw this fabulous fungus:

We reached PCT mile 1,900:

A little more forest hiking (we passed the lake without being able to see it):

By just over 17 miles for the day we were at the highway:

Another 100 yards brought us to a good stopping point (for the trip and the season):

And that was that, the quick fix.

We finished 17.2 miles before 4:00 in the afternoon. So we headed off. First to the town of Klamath Falls where we had birthday dinner for Katie at a fairly fancy restaurant. Then to spend the night in the Hat Creek area just north of Lassen National Park. The discerning reader may recognize Mud Lake Camp as a place we'd stayed for several nights two Augusts ago. The drive to this point got us halfway home and also set us up to do a California County highpoint before driving home on Monday (photos of that to appear below).

The fix worked. I got just enough PCT to end the season happy. For those who worried (no-one), I'll be OK now until next summer.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
September 4, 2017

Brokeoff Mountain is about five miles from Lassen Peak (both are in the national park). It's the highest point of Tehama County, California:

The hike to Brokeoff's summit is on a Park Service maintained trail. It's a seven mile round trip. Katie's feet really hurt after 30 miles in two days and she was worried about the effect that the steep descent would have on her knee. She skipped this hike, hanging out instead with Vicki and the dogs (she was right about the descent - I was definitely done for a few days after Tricia and I finished!).

Here are a few shots of Tricia and my ascent:

Summit shots with Lassen in the background (the smoke prevented views of Mount Shasta):

It was a bit of a whirlwind trip, but like I said above, it was just what I needed (and Vicki and the girls seemed pleased too).

Now I/we lay low for a while, becoming a climber again and maybe getting some backpacking in. We'll be back though; next summer our goal is to at least finish Oregon.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »

Thanks Brad for the report.  :)
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
cool
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »
Cool. Sorry you have to drive so far....to Oregon of all places where they don't trust you to pump your own gas.

Next thing you know you will be in Washington, knocking on Mr Mud's door.
I'm not worthy.

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
Vicariously getting my nature fix.  Sweetness-
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
Brokeoff Mtn is cool. On the edge of a huge crater left by the explosion/destruction of Mt Tehama 600Ma - the much larger volcano that existed there before Lassen. Lassen is just a little burp in comparison. Ash from Tehama can be found in Silicon Valley. I'd post some cool pictures but those days are gone for me.   
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
Lassen is just a little burp in comparison.

;D  :D

I'd post some cool pictures but those days are gone for me.  

"Those days" can and should be revived. And you should resume posting new photos using a different host (but that's just your adoring public speaking).

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

??? :idea: :confused:

You grabbed too little in the quotes and I back edited. And now no-one will know what you posted about?

The pirate/idiots/cheats who've held your photos hostage don't deserve your patronage. That I agree on. But please, please work on restoring your photos to Mudn'Crud.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
....to Oregon of all places where they don't trust you to pump your own gas.

You know, you're not kidding. I've gotten out of the car, started to touch the handle of the gas pump hose, and been looked at like I was a criminal....

Next thing you know you will be in Washington, knocking on Mr Mud's door.

He better be expecting us to do just that.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 06:27:52 PM »
You grabbed too little in the quotes and I back edited. And now no-one will know what you posted about?

The pirate/idiots/cheats who've held your photos hostage don't deserve your patronage. That I agree on. But please, please work on restoring your photos to Mudn'Crud.

No one knows what we are talking about half the time anyway.
I figured it was an autocorrect thing and you were posting from the phone.

I've got clink working on restoring my photos  :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
YES, YES, YES!!

The PCT is now reopened from the closure 45 miles beyond Willamette Pass!!

It's been closed at that point since we were up there last September. I've been worried about this closure with the next season coming up (a closure 45 miles ahead of us wouldn't leave us much room to hike during our first, end of June/into July trip in six weeks).

And snow levels look like they'll be fine too. I am a very happy camper-to-be right now.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

Brad, you have managed to give "right now" an epidural throughout most of your life. Bombs dropped, ammo all spent, targets hit, many missions and always back to base. Keep going and reporting dude.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
Well my excitement is building. A lot. Conditions looks perfect for our drive to central Oregon on the 20th and for hiking for the whole next week.

And get this: we'll spend the first three nights car-camped at WALDO Lake (usually spelled without all caps). Could the omens be any better?

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »
WALDO Lake

How many Tecates did that take?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »

How many Tecates did that take?

I'm not sure, but I'm willing to try to find out....

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 06:45:23 AM »
Well, we're not looking too bad for this trip. We drive tomorrow and start hiking Thursday:

Current conditions at Willamette Pass (Ore 58 MP 62.3):

- Thursday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. West northwest wind 5 to 9 mph.

- Friday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 59.

- Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 64.

- Sunday - Sunny, with a high near 68.

- Monday - Sunny, with a high near 63.

It's been a long wait, but we're finally gonna get back on our beloved trail.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 07:22:55 AM »

Hope you guys have a blast  :thumbup: :biggrin:
One wheel shy of normal