Author Topic: Munge Climber -2 degrees of Separation  (Read 5311 times)

F4?

• unworthy
Munge Climber -2 degrees of Separation
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
This thread has been needed for some time.

Normally, it's the 7 degrees of separation, but this is Mungie.

State how you came to know the Master of Munge and who he led you to.

Me, well it started after REI days where we had worked ( him in "CLIMING" and me as a Bundy (footware)...
I was at some odd bookstore in 96??
Bumped into Munge..."want to go climbing at the Pinnalces?"

We ended up doing 13 routes in the High Peaks. Camped out in our cars on the W-Side. The lovely ranger did not care where we crashed...Simple time.
I'd have to say after that I was hooked on the mud.
Later he introduced me to Mr. Mud to be Mr. Mud's lackey for the day, that was '99 I think.

Of course, after knowing Mr. Mud, I was later introduced to the other cast of characters...

The rest just goes downhill from there and hits a BLLM or 3 along the way.
 :thumbup:

I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: Munge Climber -2 degrees of Separation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »

This thread has been needed for some time....

How odd that you would post this now. I've been trying to find time to start a similar thread about Rob. My thread was going to center on "anniversaries" though.

I recall the exact date I first started climbing with him, our "anniversary" as climbing friends. If this seems odd, a little explanation might help.

Vicki and I were married on Saturday, September 12, 1992 (our 25th anniversary was two weeks ago). She and I went on a week-long honeymoon which lasted through the following Sunday. We then returned to work. The very next weekend I resumed my normal "schedule" of climbing almost every weekend, very often in Yosemite Valley. That "very next weekend" would have been September 26 and 27, 1992. On Saturday the 26th we climbed in the Yosemite Falls amphitheater with our friends Doug and Janet, and, oh yeah, this young kid who was going to come live with them while he attended college in the central valley.

The "young kid" was our own Mungeclimber. And Tuesday of this week was his and my "25th anniversary" too. Where the hell did the time go?

Some of my favorite Munge photos include this series from Reeds Pinnacle Direct (the hardest 5.9 you'll ever lead):

Circa 1993, on the North Ridge of Mount Conness:

A little older now, he's leading Hell Nino at Potter's Rock on Sonora Pass Highway:

With Tom Frost at Gianelli Edges, not too many years ago:

Leading Root Canal at Frankensteins on Sonora Pass Highway:

Soloing a route he established free solo No Bolt Insurance (5.8 clean, clean slab):

And another early one, a photo of a photo, from a road trip to the Santa Barbara/Ventura area (Katie's first climbing/camping road trip - she was six months old):

So how many degrees of separation does all this add up to?

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
2 degrees because I am way too lazy to have to count.

I need to dig up other pictures.

Now I must clarify, I had been climbing at the pinnacles since ‘94, but it was that ‘97 or ‘96 trips with him that got me hooked on the obscure stuff.

Then there was the time he set me off on a new route with cams, nuts and not bolts. So I just went for it, but made a fatal mistake of matching my feet. Bam, next thing I know I am sliding down the face. All the while he is yelling...jump, jump!!! And I must have since I grounded into some thick bushes!! We completed the route, but my prized tights were cut up.

Years later my mud would solo that route and, well he was a bit scared, uttering the words damn!

Good times!!!
 :-*

I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
OMG, that pic is huge it looks like Chriz is me. lol

The good old days Jibber Jabbering about all things climbing gear. Homestead crew was cool.

This thread has been needed for some time.

Normally, it's the 7 degrees of separation, but this is Mungie.

State how you came to know the Master of Munge and who he led you to.

Me, well it started after REI days where we had worked ( him in "CLIMING" and me as a Bundy (footware)...
I was at some odd bookstore in 96??
Bumped into Munge..."want to go climbing at the Pinnalces?"

We ended up doing 13 routes in the High Peaks. Camped out in our cars on the W-Side. The lovely ranger did not care where we crashed...Simple time.
I'd have to say after that I was hooked on the mud.
Later he introduced me to Mr. Mud to be Mr. Mud's lackey for the day, that was '99 I think.

Of course, after knowing Mr. Mud, I was later introduced to the other cast of characters...

The rest just goes downhill from there and hits a BLLM or 3 along the way.
 :thumbup:

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »
WOW! Stoked you have those Hell Nino pics!  And TOM!  thx for taking that. We were just shooting the breeze and it didn't occur to me to take pics of the two Bosses. Same for back at the Cabin. We've had some good times. I still blame Brad for hooking me on SPH rock. lol

How odd that you would post this now. I've been trying to find time to start a similar thread about Rob. My thread was going to center on "anniversaries" though.

I recall the exact date I first started climbing with him, our "anniversary" as climbing friends. If this seems odd, a little explanation might help.

Vicki and I were married on Saturday, September 12, 1992 (our 25th anniversary was two weeks ago). She and I went on a week-long honeymoon which lasted through the following Sunday. We then returned to work. The very next weekend I resumed my normal "schedule" of climbing almost every weekend, very often in Yosemite Valley. That "very next weekend" would have been September 26 and 27, 1992. On Saturday the 26th we climbed in the Yosemite Falls amphitheater with our friends Doug and Janet, and, oh yeah, this young kid who was going to come live with them while he attended college in the central valley.

The "young kid" was our own Mungeclimber. And Tuesday of this week was his and my "25th anniversary" too. Where the hell did the time go?

Some of my favorite Munge photos include this series from Reeds Pinnacle Direct (the hardest 5.9 you'll ever lead):

So how many degrees of separation does all this add up to?

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »

Then there was the time he set me off on a new route with cams, nuts and not bolts. So I just went for it, but made a fatal mistake of matching my feet. Bam, next thing I know I am sliding down the face. All the while he is yelling...jump, jump!!! And I must have since I grounded into some thick bushes!! We completed the route, but my prized tights were cut up.

LOL, lies!!! You had the bolt kit! You were just running it out to find a good stance.

Desecration Palpitation - named for the fall/slide/cheesgrater that gave Mungie a heart attack on Resurrection formation.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »

LOL, lies!!! You had the bolt kit! You were just running it out to find a good stance.

Desecration Palpitation - named for the fall/slide/cheesgrater that gave Mungie a heart attack on Resurrection formation.

I've never had any doubt at all: F4 was the innocent victim on Desecration Palpation....

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
“Here you need pitons, brass nuts, hexes, tiltons....there that should be enough for the next 50ft!”

Yeah, I was so excited to run it out, little did I realize what I as doing.
I'm not worthy.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
If only Mr. Mud would needlessly share his Munge experience...
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
My first sighting of Munge was bouldering on the Westside 15 or so years ago. Hope to see him on mud more in the neighborhood this year.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
If only Mr. Mud would needlessly share his Munge experience...

You should ask him about going to the hospital this week while I was in town up there. heh

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
Now there was this time at band camp...
Mungie and I were working on a new route and had I think completed it.

When we got to the ground, Brutus and Em were there with cold beers.
But there is a catch, their car has broken down on the road.
Still, I was meeting the famous Brutus!!! Who had cold beer!

Now I knew Em from a failed search for some climbers on mr Shasta in 2000.
Who ended up finding the last person, Brutus and em.

So Rob offers to drive us all out to a pay phone.

Brutus bought us dinner at strawberry, with beer.

We took them back to our campsite, but Brutus insisted we eat dessert.

So here we are, on the Donnells road, by their car, eating apply pie with whip cream. Plus he has busted out the camp table to serve us.

Yup, Brutus was at a whole different level of roughing it.

The next day after climbing, We ended up giving them a ride back to Oakland on our way home to Santa Clara.

Yup, good times with Mungie.

Now that brings up another side story. Remember 2 degrees of separation.

Prior to that, Mr mud and I were walking out on the west side after climbing lava falls.

Two characters approach us before the old campground..."are you guys climbers???" It's Brutus and Em, but we don't know who they are.
Mr Mud and I look at each other, "yup".

Sadly, Brutus busted his ankle the next day on the Crux of lava falls.

Which brings us back to the Pinnacles.
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
I met Munge in J Tree climbing with Dave, we ended up joining them at the camp site in evening and I sat around and talked about the Pinnacles.  Many years later Munge is showing us pics and when he goes to leave I grab his pic.  Munge is that is mine, I am no way that is my pack and Dave's truck.  And, Munge is that is my pack and that is my vehicle ( point at a different pack and vehicle ).  Funny times.  We blew up and can of beans.  Laughed like hell but it scared the crap out of everyone.  Good Times.
Here's to sweat in your eye

CruxLuv

• Queen Of Crud
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
You guys make me smile.  :)

Carry on, carrying on...
The "best" climber is the one having the most fun.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
I met Munge in J Tree climbing with Dave, we ended up joining them at the camp site in evening and I sat around and talked about the Pinnacles.  Many years later Munge is showing us pics and when he goes to leave I grab his pic.  Munge is that is mine, I am no way that is my pack and Dave's truck.  And, Munge is that is my pack and that is my vehicle ( point at a different pack and vehicle ).  Funny times.  We blew up and can of beans.  Laughed like hell but it scared the crap out of everyone.  Good Times.

I get a kick out of that. Shows you how small the community is, and that similar minds find the best value in the best areas!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
Yup, good times with Mungie.

Always, it's time for a Castle Rock session.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
Way back when the center of the Bay Area climbing world was Cupertino rei and western mountaineering.

Munge was the wall expert then due to he had climbed the prow.

I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
Way back when the center of the Bay Area climbing world was Cupertino rei and western mountaineering.

Munge was the wall expert then due to he had climbed the prow.

LOL, that seems so long ago.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »
Prowed!

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »
Wow, they actually go all the way up to the clink homestead to get you?

Now Mungie, way back when at REI used to go to Carl’s JR for lunch, like most of use then.

The joke was did you get the gold card?

Then there was jakob....who used to climb with Mungie. He went to a w hole new level and dragged me along!

I'm not worthy.